Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

That is SO true, and Iā€™m always sad about how that changed. I used to love going into school and bouncing up and down with my friend* about the latest episode. I also loved the wait for the next episode - it was torturous sometimes, but it really made you appreciate it. Nowadays I find Iā€™m having to rush through a series to avoid spoilers. Not the same, sigh. Whereā€™s my pipe and slippers?

*I had more than one friend - only one of them liked The X Files

1 Like

If you have the patience itā€™s worth a watch.

1 Like

How come I stumbled upon this topic only now?
Iā€™ve seen and loved all the movies quoted by you, but ā€œforbidden planetā€. I havenā€™t seen it, but Iā€™d like to since I heard its reference in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which, by the way, deserves to be in the list of preferred sci-fi movies.
I second also who named "12 monkeys"and ā€œmoonā€.
Iā€™d also add those two important movies:

Voyage dans la lune

Brazil

Slight OT: You have a freaking good collection, pal!

I love the silent germans, like Lang, Murnau, Wiene.
May I suggest you to look for ā€œCabiriaā€ by Giovanni Pastrone?

I like to pretend I have taste, hardly anyone buys it though.

IĀ“ve heard the title before but know close to nothing about it.

Excellent list, glad you mentioned Firefly and The Expanse.

To @milanfahrnholz and others who watched the movie: how good was ā€œBlade Runner 2049ā€?

(please, use spoiler tags when appropriate)

IĀ“ll get back to you when I have more time, there is a lot to say.

Short version: I liked it.
Bonus info: @RonGilbert liked it, too!

1 Like

Here you go, only one minor blurred spoilerā€¦

Blade Runner 2049 does a terrific job at expanding on the world of the first film. Which actually the first film itself did by expanding on the novel and so did the Westwood game and several other media, that this is possible has been shown before.

It gladly is neither a soft reboot nor a passing of the torch sequel. It expands on the world and technology while still feeling consisent with what we already know. It clearly is the future of the first film and not our future which can been seen by the prominent presence of Atari, PanAm and even the Soviet Union!

One of my biggest fears was an attempt to repeat or even ā€œone upā€ the iconic Tears in Rain monologue, this gladly didnĀ“t happen.

It takes all the aspects of the old story that were interesting and builds on them, the replicants arenĀ“t portrayed as villains anymore, you feel for them now.

As for the negatives, if you really had problems with some of the plot elements of the old one, this one is not better. There are some aspects that feel a little strange, but this movie doesnĀ“t really explain too much to you, a lot you have to figure out for yourself and many questions are left open for either a sequel or for you to think about for the years to come. I still discuss the good and bad aspects for the old one to this day and I certainly will with this one. Which is something I canĀ“t for most SciFi movies these days.

Denis Villeneuve has once more shown his sense for scenery, atmosphere and that unsettling drone in the music throughout. HeĀ“s a man of show donĀ“t tell and this is another rarity, now.

One technical problem IĀ“m not sure everyone else had, was at my theater, the sound was extremly loud and the sound of the german dub was more than problematic. At more than one point the music and ambient noise was a lot louder than the dialog and the biggest problem was during at least two scenes, almost all of which involved Jared LetoĀ“s character who spoke in a wide empty room, they added such a huge reverb effect I understand less than half of what he actually said. This might really only be an issue with the german dub, or just my theater, though.

The music was dark and moody, but there is nothing you will remember after youĀ“ve seen it. Johannson does a good job with the synths and shows respect for Vangelis, but there is really no Blade Runner Blues, Love Theme or Ending Theme that will stick with you forever.

Also other than the original, I donĀ“t see myself quoting much from it. And there was no highly emotional scene like the finale of the original one. But the ending was good.

Oh and then there is the showdown which featured one of the most intense fight scenes I have ever seen in theaters. It will literally leave you breathless almost as much like the characters themselves! Truly breathtaking, filmed in a way I donĀ“t think IĀ“ve seen much before!

So, I guess I recommend it. IĀ“m looking forward to what the future holds for the series as much as to VilleneuveĀ“s next project: a new adaptation of Frank HerbertĀ“s Dune.

1 Like

Thanks, I think weā€™ll project it in our cinema.

1 Like

Thanks for your review/opinion about the movie, I have really appreciated it and the time that you spent writing it.

Iā€™ll watch the movie in a few weeks and I canā€™t wait for it. I have been a big fan of ā€œBlade Runnerā€ and itā€™s a pity that I have not read ā€œDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?ā€ yet, which is already in my ebook reader.

I would like to ask for a clarification about something that you wrote:

That ā€œyouā€ means just ā€œmeā€ or also the characters of the movie? Are replicants mostly accepted by the new society, now?

(anyway, I felt for them even in ā€œBlade Runnerā€)

On the contrary, itĀ“s gotten even worse. ThatĀ“s why your sympathies will be on their side.

Yes, but that gradually devloped throughout the movie. The first thing you see is a replicant killing someone in cold blood, and Roy Batty gradually changes from the main antagonist to the character that displays the strongest emotions and thatĀ“s what made the ending so strong.

1 Like

Actually, in my city there are not many theaters (less than ten) that screen original language movies, but itā€™s easier to find the most popular movies.

Well, I will not have anything to compare it with. I will watch only the original movie.

Oh to be somewhere where there is even close to ten theaters!

No need to compare. ItĀ“s enough when you say that Jared LetoĀ“s dialogue was clearly audible.

10 theaters in your town, that screen movies in their original language, itā€™s a big number!
In mine there are only two of them.

YouTube just suggested to me a few sci-fi movies and series soundtracks, played by The Danish National Symphony Orchestra.

Iā€™ll share with you two videos about my favorite sci-fi series and one of my favorite sci-fi movies.

Here is a Star Trek medley:

And here is an arrangement of some Blade Runner themes:

I like The Day The Earth Stood Still, the original. :slight_smile:

They say Hollywood is running out of ideas while there is still so many classic ScFi Novels that havenĀ“t been adapted onto the big screen:

William Gibson - Neuromancer
Neal Stephenson - Snowcrash
James Graham Ballard - The Drowned World
Isaac Asimov - The Foundation
Robert A Heinlein - Stranger In A Strange Land
and so much great stuff by Phillip K. Dick

also maybe some of the Heavy Metal comics like Arzach, Exterminator 17 or Den.

Iā€™m perfectly fine with the scenario of Hollywood never ruining this awesome saga trying to make a movie adaptation of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be fair thatĀ“s the one I could least imagine how they would do that.
How would you pitch that?
ā€œHey remember all the political talk in the Star Wars Prequels that everyone hated so much? Yeah how about a whole movie trilogy with nothing but that?ā€ :upside_down_face: