Fonts wit non-ascii

As far as I know OpenType is basically TrueType with more features; I’m not sure what that means for the binary format though. For example I don’t think ye olde TrueType provided much in the way of kerning, or pretty much anything provided by HarfBuzz based on properties encapsulated in the font, see here for some (mildly outdated) possibly relevant background info.

1 Like

Yes, TrueType became a subset of OpenType. I thought it would affect the header somehow but it seems the basic structure is always the same so OpenType file using TrueType outlines and not using OpenType features (scripting, ligatures, contextual alternates, etc.) is virtually the same as TrueType file.

“OpenType uses the general sfnt structure of a TrueType font, but it adds several smartfont options that enhance the font’s typographic and language support capabilities.”

Damn those typographic formats! :smirk:

I moved to Savior1.ttf but I see the diacritical marks are overlapping the previous line.

It is not affected by the font properties so its either in some configuration file or it’s hard-coded to .exe.

Can I fix it myself?

Line Settings.dinky:43 contains SETTING(verbmenu_spacing) <- getSetting("verbMenuSpacing", 27) which controls the spacing. Some slight tweaks will probably work for all languages. If not, we can set that based on the language.

1 Like

You can also add verbMenuSpacing: 27 to your Prefs to test without altering code.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check that later because I need my other computer with DX12 for that.

I think adding one or two “pixels” should make enough space for all European languages (i.e. using Latin, Cyrillic and Greek) and English and German users should not mind a bit of an empty space.

Complete Latin Basic, Latin Supplement and Latin Extended-A

1 Like

You mean this German? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh well… :blush:

Dieresis does not reach that high. :wink:

It works and 33 seems to be enough for my taste - unless some weird combination occurs (e.g. “y” up and “Č” down).

2 Likes

I noticed that “j” often overlapped the previous character so I cut off part of its “hook”.

delores-2_ij

I also slightly changed the top of “1” and fixed incorrect right margin of “tcaron”.

1 Like