Hints for LucasArts games

It´s a @RonGilbert game you gotta do mean things to lots of people. :grin:

Remembering that actually helped me through a lot of puzzles in The Cave. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Give me a bloody stump.”
“Can’t - chainsaw’s out of gas, HAHAHA.”

:laughing:

1 Like

Monkey Island 2 could really benefit from a To Do list like TWP.

I guess in those days of hardcore adventure gaming part of the puzzle was to pay attention and remember what to do :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah it gets real excessively big in that middle part.

I guess they just forgot that the players obviously had no access to those neat handy puzzle charts.

1 Like

No one needs those! Tsts.

3 Likes

Tell me about it!

(In hindsight, it is amazing you chose your avatar and nickname before playing MI)

Also

We need a word for comments like this.

I suggest “gamersplaining”.

Yeah but not the first one, that both are from. Right?

1 Like

I think these days it is more handholding, watered down, rather than “hardcore” back then. Surely looking at Lucasarts adventures. Guess-the-parser and Sierra-deaths were more hardcore indeed.
Plus we didn’t have social media and fora to get distracted by while playing, so we could focus on every slight clue.

2 Likes

As Milan says I’d played but not completed the first MI, so I knew the relevance of the chicken pulley. But not my screen name :smiley:

Haha, that’s clever :laughing: (though I was kinda hoping he’d actually pick her up and pop her in his inventory)

2 Likes

Yeah I do think that. People tried a bit harder in those days, because they didn’t really have a choice.

Distracted by Twitter and the forum? Poppycock!

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Speaking of which. In germany the pieces of eight are just called pieces of gold. Which might be because of

grafik

I´d rather confusingly talk to you simultanously on the forum, twitter and the quizup chat than not at all. So that is one advantage of it not being the 90s anymore, I´d say. :slight_smile:

Shame my name’s not… er… Penfold.

Aww :blush:

1 Like

When in fact they were silver coins. Though I guess no respectable computer game would fob the player off with mere silver :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Reading this back again, for clarification ‘Pieces of Kate’ isn’t based on MI at all. It was just a fun-sounding piratey name I came up with at the time.

1 Like

We are professionals here, we don’t need no stinkin’ ToDo lists!

(And can somebody explain me how the ∗beep∗ does this ‘don’t need no’ make any sense?)

Interesting coincidence… you have probably fooled us all :smiley:

4 Likes

You mean the double negative that isn´t really a double negative?

Can´t Get No Satisfaction

Also as an aside in the german version the rubber chicken doesn´t have a pulley but a carabiner.

1 Like

I bet you prefer the English version though! :wink:

As an aside to the aside, imagine the look on the face of whoever got the list of items to make inventory icons of (as most of you know, MI was released with text inventory like in MM, Zak and Indy3; the icons were added for the VGA-CD release a couple of years later)… “I need to draw a WHAT?!”

1 Like

Pieces of eight is quite a common pirate term, though - I never think of that as specifically MI. But in conjunction with Capsize Kate I admit it’s rather apt :smile:

Much more efficient wording!

:joy: I’d love to know how many incarnations they went through before the final version. If I ever meet Ron that will be my leading question.

2 Likes

Exactly.

If a language is known for its efficient wording than it’s the German language:

2 Likes