Horror/scary games: do you like/play them? šŸ‘»

Those who like horror/spooky games might find this new Humble Bundle interesting:

1 Like

I like to be scared. The problem is that it is very difficult to find a movie that is scary. For this reason, Iā€™ve developed a technique to be scared: watch the movie in bed, alone, at night, when you are half sleepy. Then youā€™ll be scared. Try it, it works! The more sleepy you are, the more it works.

Good movies that I found truly scary (if watched in the right setting): Insidious (the first one); The Others; Profondo Rosso (deep red).

What about games? Well unfortunately I donā€™t like arcade/realtime games. If I did, I think I would be scared. And I havenā€™t tried many horror adventure games (except gabriel knight 2, which was a bit scary sometimes).

Also, you can be scared in a ā€œgoodā€ (pleasant) way and in a ā€œbadā€ (unpleasant) way. I canā€™t define them though.

Does anyone here like the art style of H. R. Giger?

If yes, have a look at this new footage of Scorn, an under-development Giger-inspired horror game:

1 Like

Do I ever?

ā€œBack in 1997ā€¦ā€ is he talking about the Fifth Element? Oh he meant to say 1979ā€¦

Anyway, it looks nice, but there are so many Alien FPS and so far I have seen nothing in it that makes this particulary stand out.

I donĀ“t even look forward to the new Call Of Cthulhu game anymore since that last trailer made it look like it was another VR-Jumpscare fest to likes of which are so damn popular right nowā€¦

I think I may have mentioned this one before but I recently replayed Lone Survivor:

It really grows on me, the atmosphere transpires greatly through the extremly reduced pixel graphics. And I still even have a full grasp on the story after getting two out of the five possible endings. It pays great tribute to the Silent Hill series with some scenes obviously inspired by Twin Peaks (red room) and even Chuck The Plant makes an appearance! Dark atmospheric pixel art indie survival horror gaming doesnĀ“t get better than this!

1 Like

Does it also have puzzles as a point-and-click adventure game or is it only based on action (hiding, escaping, beating, etc.) ?

You have to pick up and combine items at times(to power a generator, or getting a bus to open itĀ“s door). The most difficult part is getting by the enemies. Shooting them is the easiest way, getting by them distracting them (by dropping food or flares) and hiding in a creative way is what you have to figure out. You can get through the game without shooting a single enemy. You also have to sleep reguarly and eat good food (if you combine the right food items, you can make yourself some tasty meals). Everything you do affects your mental stabilty and affects the ending you will get. But yes there is some item combining involved too.

In this very short browser game called ā€œDonĀ“t Escapeā€ you have to prevent yourself from being able to leave a cabin before turning into a werewolf and attacking, good fun!

There are two sequels which are longer.

One is about preparing yourself for a zombie attack:

And part 3 takes place on a spaceship which has an unwelcomed guest on board:

I havenĀ“t sucessfully finished the two sequels, they are longer and more complicated and have time limits (not real time but time determined by certain actions).

But IĀ“d say itĀ“s enjoyable stuff for a short break. However, if you donĀ“t succeed you have to start all over again, so think hard before you make your final decisions.

1 Like

I liked Distraintā€¦Its my profile pic.
Check it out:-

2 Likes

At first I thought it might be Android-only, but I see there is an iOS and PC (Steam) version available as well. I think I will check it out.

I played Alien: Isolation. I think, it has been pretty much underrated. Everybody who liked the first two Alien movies ought to check it out!

1 Like

The Deep Sleep Trilogy (consisting of the very short Deep Sleep and the slightly longer Deeper Sleep and Deepest Sleep) is a trilogy of dark atmospheric first person point and click games in a very reduced pixel style that you can play in your browser for free.

Play them in order, enjoy!

I have sucessfully finished part 2 and 3 now. While I think there might be alternate or better solutions to part two (like being able to save your buddies) I also suceeded with Part 3 after many tries.

1 is short and sweet, 2 might have different solutions and part 3 is amazing, highly enjoyed that space horror thing with a vicious twist!

In all those games you only suceed when you havenĀ“t forgotten anything and the counter reaches 0%, I recommed to give them all a try, the puzzles are really neat, same goes for the Deep Sleep games.

Edit: on top of that I just found out that there is a full on sequel to be released on steam next year:

Has anybody played SOMA? Itā€™s currently on sale at both Steam and GOG. It looks interesting somehow. The reviews are very positive as well.

Awesome series. What I like is the fact that these are flash games and you donā€™t have to pay or download anything you just sit and play.
Make sure you also check The Horror House(http://www.horrorscarygames.com/the-horror-house) and House 2(http://www.horrorscarygames.com/the-house-2) super cool games!

Yes, and when you play them all in a row it doesnĀ“t even feel that short, I would probably have payed for that.

Thanks, will do!

So I tried out that first hour demo of Resident Evil 7 on PS4. The demo makes it look like a first person adventure game. I ran around got lost and when I knew that I was completly save I even got bored a little bit. IĀ“m not sure how the full game is like. Maybe there is a bit of combat (I picked up a bit of ammo but no gun) maybe mostly running and hiding and the rest seems to be puzzle solving. Maybe some jumpscares. But itĀ“s true it feels nothing like a Resident Evil game. Might give the full version a try somewhere further down the road.

That was way more effective than pretty much any jump scare ever. :stuck_out_tongue:

Spanish movies are amazingly terrifying. El laberinto del fauno (not horror? couldā€™ve fooled me), El orfanato, [REC], La habitaciĆ³n del niƱo, etc., etc., etc.

To rewatch Alien or not to rewatch Alien, that is the questionā€¦

Make a poll! :wink: (And let the forum members decide!)

2 Likes

Naw, next up is Clue. I donā€™t think itā€™s time to take out my Alien DVD again just yet.

1 Like