How to free Willie?

@RonGilbert

Now that I see the thread name I have to think, is this pun intended or accidental?

Pun

I think they designers already stated before that it was accidental.

1 Like

Yes, but it would be still perfect for an achievement! They didn’t add one, right?

I wonder why, since they had made so many new releases on other platforms in the meantime anyway they could have easily added another icon. Maybe they wanted to keep this a more hidden Easter egg for those among us being able to feel real guilt.

2 Likes

Isn´t that what hidden achievements are for?

I wouldn’t know, in my GOG version all achievements are hidden.

1 Like

Steam has two kinds of achievements. Those that are publicity on display and hidden ones in order to avoid spoilers or hide easter eggs. For Thimbleweed Park, I think they didn´t make use of that feature, though.

Same! :cry:

I thought they did. I’m pretty sure there were achievements that were hidden until I completed certain bits. Like some of the ones for finishing certain chapters, as the chapter names would give it away.

It´s possible. In general the thing with the hidden achievements is kind of averted when you look at the stats of everyone who played and it shows all of them, even the hidden ones.

There are several hidden achievements. For example blowing the mansion up was one of them. Here is a spoiler-heavy list of the original achievements on Steam.

1 Like

Ah yes.

This is the page I was refering to, where you can see all of them, even if you haven´t played the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/569860/achievements

The hidden ones are the ones that lack a short summary text. But you can still see the pictures and read the titles.

For me freeing Willie is not an achievement: The player decides how the stories of each character end. Willie is part of Reyes ending. You decide how you would like to bring this to an end. So for me an achievement doesn’t makes sense.

Does that also mean that the “Beephole Redux” achievement doesn’t seem logical to you as well?

Talking about achievements, on the other hand… the are two distinct achievements for Ransome, one good and one bad. You have to play twice to get them all.

Good point.

I think I’ve got all of them apart from the ones related to listening to a certain number of voicemail messages and the similar one for reading books in the library. I’d like to get the one for not collecting any specks of dust, but I’m really not sure I could go through with that! My levels of OCD are too high, and I’d probably pick one up subconsciously, or even by accident.

I hate things having an incomplete list though, so maybe I’ll have to try one day.

Yes. And there are some other achievements that I would put into that category. :slight_smile:

HAHAHAH. No. It’s not easy. Not only is it another icon on several platforms that all have different specs, it’s 5 translations of several version of the text and then it’s using crappy backends to upload and save everything. Adding another achievement would give some team members PTSD. Oh, and we have to add them to all the platforms, since version parity is in most of the contracts.

One reason it’s not an achievement is the ability to free willy was added late in production, after all the achievements has been locked down. It was in response to a play tester trying it.

3 Likes

So you don’t like the ending achievements of for instance The Cave too?
I like them, achievements are great for tracking progress. Not really sure why gamers like them though…

Oh well, I didn’t thought of text translations. But when adding additional interactions between actors + the hint line I thought some additional achievements wouldn’t have been so much more work :slight_smile: