iOS no speech with headphones

Argh. I am sitting in the train going to work and have attached today headphones to my fancy iPhone (iOS 11.4). Last days I played in the train without sound, sometimes holding the phone to my ears to listen what that crazy clown says.

But with my headphones I only hear the music? Is this a bug or can I do something?

Well, I could have played now another 10 minutes without sound, enjoying this work and kids free time of amusement in the train. Instead I created this post.

Just to clarify: did you always hear the background music and sound effects, when you use your headphones, or sometimes you did not hear even the music?

Also might be worth checking:

Options > Text and Speech > Hear Voice

To make sure it’s selected. It probably is if it was working before, but you never know!

Doesn’t the mobile version start up with deactivated sound? And hadn’t Ron mentioned somewhere that he can’t detect headphones? :thinking:

I checked the preferences, and sound and speech is OK there (also the toilet paper setting). As soon as I attach the headphones, no speech. I’ll have to test later other headphones.

1 Like

Seems really weird, but it definitely isn’t the first time:

Good boy…

2 Likes

In real life hands down over, but visually in game it looks better under. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always been an ‘over’ gal, though thinking about it ‘under’ does make a bit more sense (in either world) because then you get a little ‘flick’ that invites you to pull off a sheet. Whereas ‘over’ is a bit withdrawn and shy.

I may be 'over’thinking this.

3 Likes

Erm, are we using the same terminology? It’s “under” that’s shy.

I meant ‘shy’ in that it extends itself away from the, er, customer.

It’s interesting how (fast) we got from headphones to the orientation of toilet paper…

1 Like

Exactly. Under is further away from you. >_>

Yeah, but ‘under’ curves towards you.

But that makes it more difficult to rip off one piece of paper.

Does it? Why?

Try it. You will recognize the differences much more drastically If you use only one hand to rip off one piece. (*)

(*) Is that a valid sentence? Man, I have to go to sleep. But this espresso from @milanfahrnholz was hard stuff…

Because with the other you’re holding your phone to post here?
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Putting a shot of Paddy´s in was perhaps counter productive…

2 Likes

That is very perplexing. Speech is handled no different from music or sound. It’s all just wav bits passed to the same system. I’ve looked at this over and over and I can’t see how plugging headphones in would change anything. Even if iOS was doing something odd, by the time iOS sees the sound data it’s one merged stream.