Italian common saying -- in english (for fun)

My fault. who goes along with the cripple, soon learns his limping

1 Like

Ah, the home country of Fellini!

Another one:

you are like a cocoanut (ā€œestĆ”s como cocoā€).

Hard to crack?

1 Like

Haha! Nope. Would you believe, ā€œhealthyā€? I have no idea why cocoanuts are considered healthy. :confused:

Why would you call another person healthy? Healthy for you or in good health/shape? If itĀ“s the latter maybe because coconuts are robust?

Maybe. It is used when talking about sickness also.

Ahah interesting! We have
you are like a rock or
you have an iron health

to say that somebody is in a good, strong health.

BTW, here are the explanations!

A person is like a pear (cummenti una pira) when heā€™s dumb, easily fooled, distracted. No idea why pears should be like that.
Something is thrown together (ghettau a pari) when itā€™s been done rapidly with no regards for quality. Like, when you throw everything you have in the project just to finish it. ā€œSome might say that the ending for TWP is thrown togetherā€ :stuck_out_tongue: I also love to use it as a German word (zusammengeworfen) with my Sardinian friends in Zurich.
To be at flowers (a froris) is used to remark someone for some embarrassing situation, like ā€œyou needed hints to solve Part 5 in TWP? Youā€™re really at flowersā€. Bonus: the ā€œalreadyā€ (giai, or the italian giĆ ) is a Sardinian way to underline a remark when used at the beginning of the sentence. ā€œGiĆ  sei scemoā€ is stronger than a simple ā€œsei scemoā€.
To take someone to the head (pigai a conca) is basically ā€œto get on someoneā€™s titsā€. Now a question for the Italians: do you also say ā€œprendere alle palleā€ for ā€œrompere le palleā€, or is it just Sarditalian?
To be few exited (pagu bessiu) means to be unaware of social norms. Someone who went out too few, basically. ā€œI canā€™t believe he invited me for dinner at his apartment and then asked me to pay for the pizzaā€ "Yes, heā€™s pagu bessiu"
To be a dead penis (minca morta) means to be inept and apathetic.
To throw someone out to the hornā€™s sound (bogai a sonā€™eā€™corru) means to vigorously expel / repel / push away someone, even figuratively. Like ā€œthe new guy at work was so obnoxious that the management threw him out to the hornā€™s soundā€. It usually underlines that the expulsion has been well received by bystanders.
To have bad will (gana mala, or the Italian brutta voglia) means to be nauseated. This is widely used also in Sarditalian, meaning that weā€™re mostly unaware that ā€œbrutta vogliaā€ makes no sense for non-Sardinians*.
All sayings in point 9 are used to underline something great, surprising. In order: ti caghi (yep, Italian), arroā€™ddu goā€™ (short for arrori du coddidi), minchā€™eā€™cuaddu, cuddu cunnu (Sicilians might find this one familiar) or the ever-loving minca mia a tui, which we sometimes say in Latin (mentula mea tibi) when we want to feel fancy. Like ā€œyou shit yourself, Iā€™m a beta tester for TWP now!ā€ or "the new iPhone costs more than 1000 bucks - horse dick!"
Number 10 (di gomma, or di ghisa) are, just like col cavolo, used to ironically say no.

*we have another one which is widely used and we donā€™t know itā€™s not Italian. ā€œIt doesnā€™t doā€ (non fa) for ā€œit canā€™t be doneā€. ā€œShall we go to the cinema today? - It doesnā€™t do, I have an exam tomorrowā€. When said to Italians, they usually reply ā€œnon fa? cosa non fa?ā€

1 Like

healthy as a fish

1 Like

Let us make a petition to force milanfarnholz to write a script for a game instead of fooling around here. what a waste of talent. :slight_smile:

Haha! We have happy as a worm because ā€œlombrizā€ (worm) rhymes with ā€œfelizā€ (happy). :laughing:

2 Likes

We say ā€œhappy as a schnitzelā€ but I really have no idea why.

2 Likes

Really? Iā€™ve never said that in my life. :slight_smile: I just know ā€œer lacht sich einen Ast abā€. (He is laughing a tree branch off/away.)

ā€œDer freut sich wie ein schnitzelā€ may be a southern thing.

1 Like

Today another Sardinian one popped up into my mind.

To throw a tear to someone. It means to wish bad luck. We even have the gesture, you draw a tear from your eye and then throw it, usually in direction of the person / event you want to see failing. Usually said also to blame someone whenever something bad happens, like ā€œitā€™s my first day of vacation and I got sick, somebody must have thrown a tear to meā€.

Gettare una lacrima, in Italian.

1 Like

Haha, in Spanish we say, ā€œdar mal de ojo,ā€ which translates literally to give bad of the eye. Itā€™s like to put a curse on them. We use it in a similar way to yours.

When someone has a lot of bad luck, we say he is salted (ā€œsaladoā€).

We instead use a sexual reference. When somebody has a lot of bad luck, or is pathetic, we say he is a ā€œsfigatoā€, which translatesā€¦ with no pu##y

A curse, in italian, is ā€œmalocchioā€, which means ā€œbad eyeā€. It derives from the superstition that bad things happen because people look at you with hate or envy.

EDIT:

Since it seems to have had success, Iā€™ll fully explain this.

In Italy, a way to depict a fool person is to say heā€™s a ā€œtesticleā€ (coglione).
Thatā€™s quite a trivial word to say.

So, if youā€™re trying to fool me, youā€™re somehow trying to make a testicle out of me. So, basically youā€™re testicling me, or -if you prefer-, testiclicizing (?) me: ā€œmi coglioni, mi stai coglionandoā€
This common saying is used mainly only in Rome urban and suburban area, so itā€™s very popular its roman dialect form: ā€œme cojoni, me stai a cojonĆ ā€.
Since in the last years the use of trivial words has become someway more accepted in current language, more and more people use this saying, and its meaning extended. If originally it meant something like ā€œyouā€™re fooling me, it canā€™t be trueā€ it could now mean ā€œItā€™ so unbelievable and interesting that it even could appear unbelievable, but, mate I do believe you!ā€

Ok @ZakPhoenixMcKracken, now donā€™t even try to say that Iā€™m not your best AceAttorney, trying to save your *beep!
:smiley: