Italian common saying -- in english (for fun)

You got it right.

But how you decided for “no” and not the opposite?did you have any clues?

Because white usually signifies virginity. Like why, traditionally, a bride wears white (emphasis on the ‘traditionally’ :wink:)

1 Like

“Scheisshaustour” in german.

“Wer es zuerst hat gerochen dem ist es aus dem Loch gekrochen”

Well I think this is the most profane I´ve ever been on here. But in germany we also don´t “beep” profanity on TV Ransome style and langauge doesn´t factor in as much for age ratings.

How would white signifiy the opposite…ohhhhh :face_vomiting:

Either he is daddy´s favourite or more precise he´s over-attached to him.

1 Like

You know, I’ll be moving away from Zurich next month, I’ll be speaking Italian again. You’ll have to help me keep my German knowledge alive on this forum :stuck_out_tongue:

Spaghetti Pizza Mandolino

welcome back to Italy again! :joy::joy::joy:

That word isn’t common in the northern part of Germany. In fact, I didn’t knew it until now. :slight_smile:

“Arsch” (= ass) instead of “Loch” (= hole) please. Or if you are more intellectual you can use “Hintern” (= butt).

“Null Problemo” as Alf says in the german dub! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There´s many aspects of where I live that I don´t like. Politics is one of them. But my dialect is tons of fun. :slight_smile:

Click for example

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ukhxc

Sorry for the explict choice of words but it doesn´t rhyme otherwise. :open_mouth:

Are you sorry for our sayings or do you mean that “Hintern” doesn’t rhyme? :slight_smile: The latter one is intentional: “… aus dem Hintern gekrochen” is common if you explicitly won’t say “Arsch”.

btw: Has this forum the same rating as TWP? :wink:

But now back to the topic:

What is a “Spaghetti Pizza Mandolino”?

I mean you have to use that one if you wanna say “Wer´s zuerst roch dem kroch´s aus dem Loch”

Probably something that could be taken as racist if you said it to any italian on the street. Though I probably wouldn´t be offendend if an american greeted me saying “Guten Schweinswurst Sauerkraut!”

Easy: we said that “spending the night in white” means spending it without sleeping. So, if you don’t sleep, maybe you do something else.

You’re disgusting, man. I like it.

Actually, a daddy’s son in Italy is a guy whose parents are rich and/or famous and/or socially authoritative and don’t need to study and/or work and/or strive to have success in life.
Or, maybe, they simply don’t need to have success in life, they just spend daddy’s (or mommy’s) money.

That’s a “daddy’s son”.

The meaning you describe in Italy simply doesn’t exist. Nobody is “daddy’s favourite or he’s over attached to him”. That thing, in Italy, is mommy’s job.

They are three of the most known italian words around the world

1 Like

We have a similar saying in Spanish, “me pasé la noche en vela,” (I spent the night in candle) or “me pasé la noche en blanco” (I spent the night in white).

In Puerto Rico we also say “me fuí en blanco” (I went in white) to mean something like “my mind went blank.”

1 Like

Hm…

Can´t fool us, those words are actually some sort of secret sicilian mafia code!

Mhm… whoever they are and whatever they 're singing, they don’t need any code. I don’t understand a single word.

1 Like

Oh my :joy::joy: that’s a fool!!

Ah! I was forgotting the fourth most known italian word, but that is a bad one, I prefer not to write it
:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

Yes, well, nearly.
First of all, let me say that in Italian we have male and female gender, but not neutral.
So, usually you choose the article according to the implied omitted subject.

If you’re talking about the number 46, you’d say “il numero 46”, since the word “numero” is gender male.
If you’re talking about the cloth size 46, you’d say “la taglia 46”, since the word “taglia” is gender female.

Thus, in common language:

IL 46 → the number
LA 46 → the size

In this case you can’t omit the article, but you can, as I stated, omit the subject.

Obviously since “46” is a number different from 1, it is much more common to see it preceded by a plural article which, again, follows the number of expressed or omitted subjects.
Anyway, when speaking about plural objects, you can omit the article:

46 treni → 46 trains
46 alberi → 46 trees

Obviously you can use the article, too, as in english, either if you are expressing the subject…

I 315 membri del Senato → The 315 members of the Senate

…or omitting it:

I magnifici sette → The magnificent seven

Let’s go back to the number 46. Some examples to say “46 men”:

• 46 uomini
  • I 46 uomini
  • I 46

…and “46 women”:

• 46 women
  • Le 46 donne
  • Le 46

Last thing: if you’re talking about mixed gender people (or things), since we don’t have the neutral article, the male article is used:

I Fantastici 4 → The Fantastic 4

At least, as long as noboby will find this “politically uncorrect”.

1 Like

Ema, I think @Nor_Treblig was just making a joke about the surname Rossi and Valentino Rossi’s signature number (46) :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll expect a lot of problems in the future…

I was just talking about the speed limit in Tavullia…

Back on this topic, with more italian common sayings (literally translated in english).
Try to catch the real meaning:

1. All the world is a little village (Tutto il mondo è paese)
  2. Red on evening, nice weather we hope; Red on morning, bad weather is coming (Rosso di sera, bel tempo si spera; rosso di mattina mal tempo si avvicina)
  3. When the ass is accustomed to the fart, you cannot keep it quiet. (Quando il culo è avvezzo al peto, non si può tenerlo cheto.)

I think they are not too difficult to interpret. Go!

2 Likes