Just released adventure games

It’s a little bit short (the blog, especially in comparison the some other dev blog…), but interesting!

Now to something completely different: That’s one Kickstarter game I was eagerly awaiting!

Knights and Bikes got released on Friday to backers (which is a nice but uncommon gesture) and will be released tomorrow for all on various platforms.

For PC you will be able to get it on GOG and Steam.
PS4 version will also be available.

It looks super cute and has similarities to (oldschool) Zelda. Plus there is co-op!
And of course you can ride bikes.

Here’s a nice trailer:

1 Like

All kinds of 80s movies vibes/inspiration/copycatting here (Goonies - the same plot… the very same!-, E.T., Wargames…)
Also reminds me of Broken Age in style (at first sight, as I have played neither)

1 Like

The Castle is out! THE VERY SAME!

7 Likes

Just 26 megabytes :slight_smile:
I am now going to take control of sister Angela, trained by the very same Vatican!

2 Likes

the humour is strong, at least in the beginning. It starts really brilliant.
I chose Angela and the girl who wants to be bitten by the vampire! I thought maybe she would be fearless and give me an advantage!

I can see it is going to be hard. A lot of locations and objects. It feels exactly like Maniac Mansion. (but with the monkey 2 UI)

3 Likes

Oh, so nice EGA graphics! And gameplay seems to be exactly like Maniac Mansion, including dead ends!

Now I have to buy a game on Steam :face_vomiting:, oh well.
I hope it’s DRM-free beside the Steam client.

I have found this review about the game (ATTN spoiler: don’t read the tips etc. after the review!):

There are two comments from “Carles”, who seems to be the game developer!

Here are some google translated comments:

The game is obviously inspired by Maniac Mansion. I did it as a hobby and I wasn’t sure to publish it, so I had it a year saved.

Interesting.

I recognise that it is a difficult game and that it has dead tracks

Awesome!

My next game is sure to be easier and for a wider audience.

Dang it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I confirm it is very hard. Maybe more than Maniac Mansion. Lots of rooms, lots of objects, but no apparent way to use them. So far I could only solve one meaningful puzzle.

But great atmosphere, the kind that keeps you going!

3 Likes

Awesome, that’s sooo Maniac Mansion!

It’s basically the same as Maniac Mansion. No, sorry, the VERY SAME.

1 Like

I didn’t find anything about the company and how to contact him. I left a comment on the blog, let’s see if anyone responds :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately the first puzzle is also the hardest and the only illogical one so far. After passing that, you get going. Very good game.

Too bad for that first puzzle. So here’s a not-spoiler suggestion: after picking 20 or so objects, and visiting a lot of rooms, you’ll probably get stuck. Focus on this location: (roof) and use everything with everything.

I have solved a lot of puzzles and they are very rewarding. Now I’m stuck again, after making the potion to kill the vampire. I can’t locate him. I guess I am at about 75% of the game.

3 Likes

The (very) same comment translated by a human:
“The game is obviously inspired by Maniac Mansion. I did it as a hobby and I wasn’t sure to publish it, so I kept it for a year [before publishing it].”

1 Like

Telling Lies:

Gog:
https://www.gog.com/game/telling_lies

Steam:

2 Likes

Before it was released, the “manual” of the castle was already available on Steam. Don’t read it though, as it is a walkthrough of the complete game! Weird.

3 Likes

Nice! Also nice: I’ve seen your review on Steam.

And the one question you had. I thought their choice of icon to indicate you have played the game was funny:

1 Like

:slight_smile: I have to say the mouse puzzle was illogical, and also the bat puzzle and the worm puzzle were VERY illogical. So I have 4 bad puzzles so far.

Anyway, I’m stuck. You solve many convoluted puzzles that lead to nowhere, and you don’t know if they’d be useful with different characters (or for sidequests that you don’t need, such as resuscitating people or escaping prisons). same as Maniac Mansion, but a bit frustrating.

The game has 5 possible endings so you have to use all the characters. And yes, it can be a bit frustrating but you can spend hours of fun trying everything.

I played the game when it was for free before its release and my gameplay is on youtube, in case someone needs some tip.

3 Likes

Welcome to the TWP forums!

It’s really, really like Maniac Mansion! And although Thimbleweed Park has great graphics back then I was wishing for more EGA-like ones (MM/Zak style). Now my wishes have been fulfilled :slight_smile:

(btw. he also tries to put it on itch.io)

2 Likes

@Calypso maybe let’s make a “The Castle by Ishtar Games Inc.” thread (from post 426, excluding 436)

It now has been released also to the common folk!

With a new launch trailer:

I WANNA RIDE MY BIKE! (the youth and their loud punk rock music, tsts)

2 Likes