Like feature on Discourse (was: Tiangong-1 decay)

Ah, thanks, I’m glad that wasn’t just me. I made a new account and will post something too.

2 Likes

Finally catching up with this. It seems @Gffp’s comments on the other Discourse board were dismissed as not that relevant. Oh well, thanks for trying!

An interesting tip though:
You can click the ellipsis (…) underneath a post to expand the like details.

That avoids accidentally pressing the ‘like’ icon. Not quite as instinctive though - I liked it how it was.

I’m now earning badges all over again in the other Discourse forum, haha. Hello again Discobot…

2 Likes

You´re cheating on us with another forum…:sob:

Well maybe if you didn’t keep staying late at the office :sob:

Calm down guys, we can all be polyamorforumous here :blush:

5 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

I first read polyfuruncles…

1 Like

I didn’t know that was a word. Until now :grimacing:

1 Like

Do I want to Google that?

1 Like

NOPE!

oh wait you´re a grossaholic…so sure!

2 Likes

Eh, just don’t search Google Images.

or at least don’t post 'em here :wink:

2 Likes

Oh okay. It’s not that bad.

3 Likes

Hey, it’s the second new word I’ve learned in this thread.
Whoever just changed the title, add “Tasse-Tee’s New Words” plz :wink:

1 Like

Yeah…

And the second word from a German guy who don’t speak English. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for supporting the post!

If I have to tell what I got by reading that thread and some others, I think there are different points of view.

Jeff Atwood, one of the co-founders of Discourse, seems to be the major proponent for this change (suppressing the “like” word) because he wants the post to be as neat as possible.

But there are also different points of view from other members of the crew. The fact my post was given 9 likes in a day (more than I ever got here in almost a year for a single post) cannot be explained only as a welcome from a huge community (bigger than this one, especially in terms of active users). But that one seems to me a feature strongly desired, and then I think it will remain (maybe with some changes).

Anyway there are also other interesting discussions in the Meta Forums, regarding the like feature and the other buttons of the interface. There was one about the heart symbol (why a heart?) or a CSS feature that let you customize the interface (I don’t have the slightest idea of what a CSS is, but still). You can go to those related threads checking out the area under the first post of the thread.

1 Like

It’s a stylesheet (= a design template) that tells your browser how to present and draw the page on your display.

2 Likes

All those wasted years of missing out on “Simon & Furuncle” puns…

3 Likes

I cannot for the life of me work out what’s going on in that clip.

Yeah, I thought that too. I’m glad we’ve discovered that forum as there are indeed some interesting topics on there - I’ve added it as a shortcut on the Discourse app on my phone.

1 Like