LucasArts Soundtrack Jamming Session

I cannot write music for shits, how you guys all do that? :frowning:

1. Pick your favourite tune
  2. Go to Settings -> Scale -> Chromatic (this gives you all semitones)
  3. Try placing a few notes, listen, correct, repeat
  4. Build on that

You’ll begin to recognize patterns and which notes sound well together. Seriously, that’s it for me. Having an instrument like a piano helps because you can easily play notes without doing all the other stuff that’s required when playing a guitar (squiggly fingers) or saxophone (breathing techniques AND squiggly fingers). And this Google thing is super fun because it gives you good results with little input.

5 Likes

I’ve always played instruments by ear and began transcribing MIDI files since I was 12 or so. Now I have a bit of experience (as @nh_cham says, you begin to recognize patterns pretty soon) but when I can’t find the right note sometimes I listen to something, pause at the note I need and sing it pressing notes until the sound matches the one of my voice.

1 Like

I can play the guitar and piano by ear, too. And I know chords and scales. I can play. Sheet music isn´t my thing, though.

But it´s interesting that with that software there isn´t that much you can do wrong as long as you don´t put in any non harmonising chords.

Well, that’s not actual sheet music :stuck_out_tongue: that’s more of a piano roll, which is very easy to write

See how terrible I am at music theory? No seriously it´s closer to that at least.

I think there is even a page that has tabs for video game music and trying to play those tunes I found out that many of them are insanely complicated. I think that shows that many designers are into progressive rock and/or heavy metal.

Well except old punkrocker @RonGilbert of course!

grafik

Anybody want a piano roll? Write me a comment on my webzone and I send you one in the mail.
Oh wait…

1 Like

Then play this :smiley: shouldn’t be too difficult.

2 Likes

I think I would title of the tune doing that! :dizzy_face:

Not-so-fun fact: I wrote that tune in the hopes that Tom Brier would some day play it. If you don’t know who Tom Brier is, he used to play video game ragtimes while sight-reading the scores (there are lots of videos on YT).

He used to, because almost two years ago he had a car accident and he’s alive, but not well.

So I’m still waiting for someone to play it and put a video on YT. Why don’t I do it? Because I might have written it, but I never got to play it without errors :smiley:

1 Like

grafik

I’m glad you can’t! :smile:

Why ?

Aaaaah, with “for shits” you mean music for fun! :stuck_out_tongue: (I got the literal meaning, I thought you were joking on the same pronunciation as “sheets”!) Hahaha! Ok, then the Google tool is quite easy. @nh_cham’s steps are the same I took. If you play piano and guitar by ear, with a little effort you can place notes also on this sort of piano roll (I have little musical education, the rest is all by ear).

55 posts were split to a new topic: Language, Step-ladders, Ace Attorney, and Why Do We Keep Going Off-topic

I think it’s too late for that, as we’d need three or four threads for everything…
Maybe we should just embrace our fate of slightly messy forum threads :sweat_smile: And I’ll post a tune later to restore order in this one!

No, in this case it’s easy to split up the off-topic stuff in a new off-topic thread called “the thread with the ladders”. @Calypso: Can you split it? (maybe at this post).

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Language, Step-ladders, Ace Attorney, and Why Do We Keep Going Off-topic

Tried my best :wink: Btw. for some reason, I’m unable to move the posts about Twitter and chat that appeared in the meantime (Discourse doesn’t recognise the topic, ugh), so please continue the discussion in the off-topic thread until this gets resolved (hopefully): Language, Step-ladders, Ace Attorney, and Why Do We Keep Going Off-topic

6 Likes

Sorry, we were talking so fast that we were still talking while you were moving! :open_mouth:

2 Likes