Macro keys (+useless padding to make it 15 characters, resulting in a much worse title due to Discourse being stupid)

Probably not used sufficiently much to make a macro key out of it, but I figured I’d honorable mention Alt+; in Excel. It’d make a lot of sense as a dedicated Excel paste function, i.e., a macro of Alt+;, Ctrl+V.

Sleek.

…and quite a bit masochist, too.

Only if you can’t type… it’s more asocial (or “sadistic”) if anything.

I’d love to have a blank keyboard, though yours is lacking some important keys if I were to use it with a German layout.

No, because the real problem is, that your finger presses accidentally the caps lock key. So instead of writing everything in capital letters, you insert a tab or whatever. That is annoying too. :slight_smile:

Ah, Ok, I thought you would like to know what else you can put on them.

No. Some years ago I used to use the special “home” button of my keyboard. The result was that I tried to press that key on other keyboards too. :wink: Since these experiences I only work with a standard keyboard.

Depends on the IDE and the language. Some IDEs stop the execution and open the debugger with a special combination.

These keyboards are great - I have one of them too. :smiley:

Das Keyboard is also available with a German layout (and other languages). For example here:

/edit: Another manufacturer of “half labeled” keyboards is “Filco” (search for the Ninja series):

http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/index.php

Plural? ANSI is 104, ISO is 105. On US International that extra key is made into two \ keys; in German it’s the ® key.

I’m not against 105 keys, but not at the cost of making left shift and enter hard to reach, which is terrible design. You really need to be able to type ® in one keypress as opposed to Alt Gr+r? :stuck_out_tongue:

I do! I’m curious to hear what you would put there. :wink: Maybe I’ll even profit from it.

Configure a key that starts all programs you need for your work. For example the browser and a file manager. Ok, that could be achieved with an autostart entry, but a key would be much cooler. :wink:

That’s why I don’t do anything drastic, but pressing certain keyboard combos all the time is basically the “hello RSI!” model. Particularly because keys like Ctrl put the most stress on your hand, even if you press them correctly like I do (i.e., using a different hand for modifier and key).

And anyway, most of the repetitive stuff I do at work I never do repetitively outside of work. :slight_smile:

My work, um, workflow is pretty different than my home workflow regardless. At home I use Linux with the occasional Windows 10; at work it’s Windows 7. With a couple of basic amenities like WinCompose and X-Mouse Button Control I make Windows behave a fair bit like Linux.

I start all my stuff automatically when logging on; who doesn’t? :slight_smile: Having to press a key would completely destroy my workflow of having the computer do things automatically without my involvement while I’m getting tea. :wink: (I personally don’t really understand why some of my coworkers go sit there while the computer boots but that’s their choice.)

I could use an AHK script to automatically bring forward the most recent window of Explorer, Vivaldi, Excel, etc. though. It might save some time/keypresses/clicks although since it’d have to hide under a function layer just how much is questionable.

1 Like

@Someone Btw, I don’t really accidentally press Caps Lock. I was just browsing around some keyboard pictures and noticed this mid-'80s IBM keyboard swapped Control and Caps Lock as per one my suggestions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout#/media/File:Key-area-of-an-IBM-portable-PC-06-keyboard.jpg
Key-area-of-an-IBM-portable-PC-06-keyboard

1 Like

And what happens if you have to use the keyboard of your coworker? :wink:

The problem is: I don’t really need shortcut keys - beside copy and paste that you mentioned already. And I don’t find it (extremely) stressful to press Ctrl and the corresponding keys. Beside the programmer idea (start the build process with one keypress) I am not very helpful. :wink: And for cutting videos there are special keyboards …

Yeah, you’re right. The different distribution had me confused. The one that’s missing is between Left Shift and Y/Z, which sports <, > and |. Quite important for programming (although perhaps not very ergonomic). I guess it’s all a matter of what one is used to …

I’ll keep that in mind. I assume my next mainboard (likely not due before 2022) will no longer sport a PS/2 connector, which will be a good opportunity to shop for a replacement of my current keyboard. Though I’d also like it to have a backlight, which would exclude the one with the blank keys.

Then you don’t write a lot of texts at high speed. :wink:

Ah, the good old IBM keyboards. :smiley:

Hm… I find it very handy to have the left Ctrl down left on the keyboard. :slight_smile: But it’s an interesting layout.

Why is this convenient? I never liked the backlight because it disturbs and distracts me (while focusing on the text on the display). I’ve also turned off the lights on my mouse …

Right now I’m using a desk lamp when sitting at the PC at night. I don’t need that with the laptop, which has a backlit keyboard. It provides enough ambient light to make looking at the comparatively bright screen comfortable. Obviously, I could just keep the arrangement with the lamp. Or dim the screen. Or install a mosquito screen and turn on the ceiling light. Choices over choices …

In what sense? I can type Dutch QWERTY, I can type US International QWERTY (my preference) and I can type the inferior AZERTY that most of my coworkers use to a sufficient extent.

I do have issues with rubber domes and ISO but, well, so what? Better to potentially have a couple of missed keystrokes on that occasion than daily torture toward RSI.

Neither do I, but while ergonomics does have some pretty ridiculous entrenched notions (e.g., that 90° angle thing when larger angles are obviously better), it’s basically just common sense. Your weakest finger has to do the most work. That’s just asking for trouble in the long run.

Not as part of my job besides relatively short e-mails and comments, no, but I write and have written plenty of text at higher speeds than most. Also, wouldn’t that imply you type ä all the time as well? (Or whatever key is right of your right pinky; my QWERTZ isn’t up to snuff but we used to have this electronic QWERTZ typewriter.)

On laptops they partially break the ability to touch type the function keys, so maybe it’s something like that?

Provided the level isn’t too bright it isn’t really any more or less distracting than no light to me but I’ve never understood why people sought it out.

“Just try it, you’ll love it!” they say. Well, I have a backlit keyboard and while it’s cool to be able to program the lights on a per key basis, except for the ability to make f and j visually stand out (which I could also do by swapping keycaps) I see no added value.

PS This is my TKL keyboard with LEDs and Outemou switches. They’re not quite as good as Cherry but certainly worth the lower price.

1 Like

Yes, but the screen is already bright. :wink: Why do you need an additional light source on the table (an additional indirect light source behind or above you should be always there, but that’s another topic :slight_smile: )? In addition the display reflects the backlight of the keyboard and or the light on the table. The results are small light spots on the screen that could stress your eyes.

If you are used to use a single key for “copy” and then go to the keyboard of your coworker, you will have to remember for a second the shortcut for copy. :slight_smile: But try it yourself. :wink:

The keyboards available are an ergonomically mess at all. Before my small finger begins to hut, my wrists will be broken. :wink: (And it’s a pity that you can’t buy good wired ergonomic keyboards anymore.)

No, because the right shift key is much longer and not in a similar position as the left shift.

I did that …

… with this result. :wink:

Indeed. So I want to have something else that gives off a little bit of light to make the screen not the only bright object around. But nothing so bright and hot as to lure a swarm of insects into the room through the open balcony door (which better stays open lest I’ll suffocate).

And yes, a backlit keyboard is likely not the best answer to these problems, but, as experienced in case of the laptop, it works for me :slight_smile:.

1 Like