"Metaphors" in Story? (Full Spoilers)

I’m playing through the game again after reading all the fan theories about the story and what’s been interesting is each person seems to have their own version of what actually happened that fateful night in Thimbleweed Park. I’m really starting to appreciate the story the more I dive into it. The real mystery has been revolving around the role between the game devs, the AI, and Chuck’s role.

My take is still vague but coming together:

• Chuck figured out it was a video game so he wanted to escape the loop.
  • He got trapped in the computer AI where his personality got meshed with the AI
  • The AI or the game developers are capable of possessing people’s body (possessing Willie to kill Boris) or creating carbon copies of any character (Sheriff, Coroner, Chuck)
  • Chuck is innocent and the evil AI (representing the game developers??) is responsible for Franklin’s death, Boris’ death? I’m a bit lost still… Help!

What do you think Mr. Gilbert meant when he said the key to understanding the story is to step back and look at the story more metaphorically?

Do you guys have any pointers on what clues I should be paying attention to? I’m thinking that Chuck’s diary and the text adventure game are the most important. Any others?

Is there anybody out there that really feels they have a definitive version of exactly what happened in the story? Or do you think the story was purposefully abstract to allow for people to make up their own version?

Would love Mr. Gilbert or one of the other writers to help us understand better.

2 Likes

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I’m not convinced that Willie kiled Boris. I think everything was set up to make it look like he did it, but I don’t think that he committed the murder - possessed or otherwise.

I can’t remember the details of it, but I found the manual in the library very interesting.
For other things that may help you develop your theory, have you tried the following?

• Exploring the alley by the diner in Part 2.
  • Leaving either Ray or Reyes to their own devices in Part 4, for at least ten minutes.
2 Likes

Yes. But if I would tell this, Ron would tar and feather me. :wink:

@brianruff: You have already read the theories in this forum and in the Dev blog?

Ron has stated (somewhere) that you can find answers in the game.

And these are the 10 questions @RonGilbert gave as a hint to unlock all the secrets of Thimbleweed Park.

1.  Pay particular attention in the beginning of the game: at least two clues are revealed before the credits.
  1. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.

2. Can you hear the title of the game that Mmucus Flem is auditioning devs for? Is it mentioned again?

3. An accident is a terrible event… notice the location of the accident.

4. Who gives a key, and why?

5. Notice the ballon, the ashtray, the coffee cup.

6. What is felt, realized and gathered at Thimblecon ´87?

7. Did talent alone help Delores?

8. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind S&D Diner.

9. Where is Uncle Chuck?

2 Likes

Source?
And : “now I am even more confused!”

The source seems to be David Lynch. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/analysis/analysis11.htm

3 Likes

Ah. Well I’m glad you told me before I went looking for all these things in the game!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know, I can be a cheeky bugger sometimes! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@brianruff First rule of the forum: don’t trust Milan. :wink:

4 Likes

…said the easter egg Lady.:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Find out when to trust me and when not. That´s way harder, but I just love to challenge people´s critical thinking sometimes. :wink:

Pulling legs exclusively on april 1st is just too predictable. :grin:

1 Like

Well, his “10 questions” aren’t that silly. :wink:

1 Like

As has been correctly spotted it´s for Mullholland Dr. actually but they don´t help too much with that movie either. :upside_down_face:

Yes, but TWP is very “David Lynchesk”. So your questions (could) apply for TWP too. And AFAIR Ron gave similar hints here in the forum.

I didn’t find a lot of theories in the Dev blog, just this forum.

I’ll have to play through again and see if it makes complete sense second time around.

1 Like