Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 remakes!

In all honesty, I don’t like either SE. The games lose their sense of wonderment because of decreased colour contrast. BTW is it not you who produced some environments for Indy 4? It’s an interesting project with nice work but I feel like the atmosphere of the very first room you play is lost. In other words, it’s hard to recapture that first impression that we grew to love first… perhaps a bit like how people tend to not like film adaptations of books as much as the books. Even though it’s not perfect, the only game I’ve seen it work with was DOTT because the original pixel art was at odds with the artistic concept in the first place, so it was easy for a remaster to better uphold the original artistic vision. I was very disappointed with Full Throttle (sorry if I’m sounding brutal here).

So yeah, it’s hard… and I think the two MI SEs are underwhelming.

When hearing about it and seeing it the first time I wasn’t convinced, but I’m fine with it now.

The only scaling problem I had was in the crypt because of the unusual perspective of this background image. Maybe having different scaling factors for left an right side of the coffin would have worked. (But this isn’t an issue about pixel rendering.)

Maybe that’s possible. Rendering to a higher resolution (like TWP) could be a lot of work though, but regarding MI3 I think the problem are mainly the edges of sprites (the nearest neighbour scaling for the sprites itself looks IMHO OK).

It’s how it is…remakes are clearly made for fans and some of the new generation will be catch up as well. I am always saying: “if there is 51% positive and 49% negative responses, you are doing pretty well!”

BTW: finger up or down, doesn’t matter, its still a good advertisement. :o) and if somebody wouldn’t even try to make any remakes, people would keep crying and yelling, “why there is not a remake yet!” :o)

If you make a remake with community and you are trying to create as much as they want you to do, you are basically accomplishing 80% of their requests, there is gonna be always somebody who wont like it, BUT you can use their words against to them, because it was their ideas to add them in :o)

Well yeah, but I’m not working against you here. For example, I like your library. I’m not one of these who actually subscribes to the typical MO of liking the original better (there are so many instances in film or manga to anime adaptations where I see more pros than cons in the remake).

Do you have alternative versions of your recreations? It would be good to not have a definitive interpretation but a few with slightly different lighting, whether it be darker or lighter or whatever. I do think you lose some of the “mysteriousness” in the opening room but in other areas I prefer your rendition. It would be great if you could recapture (without copying exactly, of course) that ambience of the large attic.

Anyway just be sure of this: I commend you for your efforts and good work and only encourage you, so I hope you don’t mind the thoughts, fine sir.

However, in the case of DOTT I straight up much prefer the remaster/remake and for MI1 and 2 I don’t.

Good luck further.

They have excluded a few things here :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem there for me is the poor definition between foreground, middleground and background. The use of colour is very dubious, if you ask me.

(And yes, lacking details).

This example has issues that frankly annoy me because the intentionality of the original is more or less completely lost. I don’t know if it was an artistic decision to turn that insane and mad stare into just an ordinary gaze or something else…

However, The addition of the backgrounds is an obvious improvement to my eye… one redeeming feature.

I disagree. As a fan I already know the original versions, I don’t really need remakes and I would prefer new content/games to be made instead.

This doesn’t mean I don’t buy them or I won’t enjoy new features like improved audio, added voices and commentary.

The one thing I need the least are new graphics. I’ve played the original versions and love them, changing those graphics I am used to will most likely make it worse (for me) and not worth their effort.

But it’s good to have those games rereleased so they
a) can be purchased again
b) work without problems on modern platforms and supporting modern features like cloud saves and achievements

But IMHO they are made mainly for the more current generations and not the old fans (with the knowledge that most old fans would buy them). Developers actually want to do more (new!) such games but they won’t convince publishers if they can’t sell such remastered versions (which are relatively cheap and safe to make).

Another negative point I noticed with the MI1SE, though I´m not sure if it´s just me…

If you insult the pirates in the SCUMM Bar in the original, the music stops everyone stops moving and (remember this was the first Adventure where you couldn´t die and probably didn´t know that, yet) and for a moment you go “oh shit, I´m dead now!” then everything goes back to normal and the casual reply follows. Magic moment right there and (interactive) comedy gold!

In the SE I played none of that happens, the music keeps on playing there is no comedic pause and you just get the casual reply right away.

Anyone else noticed this?

5 Likes

I think I know what’s the problem: In the SE the music does stop, but there is also another track playing with background noises (mumbling etc.) which they forgot to stop, completely destroying this comedic moment.

Oh that´s possible, I just remember being very disapointed that one of the most iconic moments of the game was ruined, because someone involved obviouisly didn´t get it.

I just tried it: When playing MI1:SE in classic mode there is (of course) only the music track running, which also stops. But the pause between Guybrush’s sentence and the pirate response is missing!

In non-classic mode the music stops too but you have the other background running all the time. Also no pause.

I knew it the pause was missing, too! All the tension is taken out!

This is a true “Han Shot First” moment for me!

1 Like

That was my favorite moment of MI1. It was sad that it didn’t make it to the remake.

I’m one of those who actually loved the SEs, I know MI1(SE) had kind of rough backgrounds and the close-ups where quite bad, but I still enjoyed it far more than I did the original.
I wouldn’t think about making another remake of it, but rather a patch or an update to fix a few issues and maybe add some improvements on the backgrounds (some fans have made touch ups and fixes already and it could be fun to make your own backgrounds instead :wink: ). Even though every old fart (*jokes) seems to hate it, I kind of give it credit for being the one jumpstarting the remake trend of the old games and also because of this one we got to have a remake of my top favorite which is MI2.

MI2 SE I think it’s quite perfect as it is, the only thing that really bugs me is the skeleton’s song, it sounds like sh*t, I was hoping for a more ethereal dynamic fun voices instead of what we got, but overall I LOVE this one.

I also loved DOTT and Full Throttle’s remasters too (don’t know why people trash these remasters as they are quite well done).
Grim Fandango though, I wish they would have changed the models, but the way it was setup would have made it insane to do it without having to remake the whole thing from scratch, in the end it was still enjoyable and loved how they added the mouse pointer interface (yeh, I know it was from a guy’s residual mod). But being honest, I would have loved a full remake instead since the 3D models where way outdated and I kind of think a remake would have taken the same amount of time and money anyway.

Would love a S&M Hit the road, MI3, Zack and the Dig remasters… (and would hope for a full remake of MI4).

1 Like

I’m all for bringing those games back and I’d buy them again. If they remaster the graphics I will definitely take a look at them but ultimately it will be very likely I still prefer the original graphics.

What is wrong with you people! (and don’t take a look at my profile page)

1 Like

When you say that, are you thinking of the EGA versions or the VGA/Amiga versions?

EGA

VGA/Amiga

1 Like

I was referring to MI1 “SE”

@Nor_Treblig Well, I never got to play Zack back in the day, tried it a few years ago but I wasn’t being hoocked to it.
I can’t be sure if it was due to the graphics.

:scream::scream::scream:

In case it was due to the graphics: Beside the first version (C64 graphics) you can choose between a beautiful EGA version and a VGA (FM-Towns) version.

Oh, and he is called Zak McKracken.

2 Likes