Monkey Island Game Dependency Chart

Plus some nice analysis of other game aspects :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wish it were an SVG so I could search the chart. :slight_smile:

Interesting blog! (I mean the whole thing, not the blog post.)

That´s brilliant! I wonder how close that is to the one @RonGilbert did back then.

Hi! Author of the graph here –

Thanks for mentionning me !

Frenzie: I created it with LibreOffice Draw; I’ll export it as PDF and put it online

Cheers

PS, I’d also like to do Thimbleweed Park at some point, but haven’t played it yet :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Added the PDF

1 Like

:scream:

I highly recommend you cancel all future plans and play Thimbleweed Park immediately! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks! Now I found “play with rat” but it wasn’t as helpful as I’d hoped. I’m trying to figure out/remember if I ever actually did that. :slight_smile:

Nice chart, but it misses some options.
Talking to the important looking pirates is optional. If you decide not to, you would ask the store keeper a different question and he leads you to the sword master anyway.
Then again, asking the store keeper for directions is optional too. If you have the map, you can walk all the way on your own and use the sign on the ravine, just like the store keeper does.

And despite a useless effort, you can actually cook the fish and the hunk of meat.

Use breath mint serves no purpose at all, thus should be marked optional as well.

After “open : prize”, “look at : small key” is also optional. You can use the prize in the cabinet instead, despite it being displayed wrapped up in later versions of the game. (fixed in the Ultimate Talkie Edition)

The script for bargaining with Stan is quite complex, and there are several variations of it. With the right strategy, you can buy the ship with all extras included, or without the extras for 4000 pieces of eight. Which of course doesn’t add any comfort to the ship’s crew anyway.

Also somewhat little known: The spyglass can be used to help aim with the rock shooting device. Once opened, though, this option is gone.

Many items could be cooked together with the required ingredients. And some more could be turned into flaming mass. Which items exactly differ between game versions, though. You can get yourself in a dead end here in some versions of the game.

5 Likes

To do the compulsory off(ish)-topic, I just made this:

This will be a part of our (publicly listed) company’s annual report :slight_smile:

That’s our office library, with me presenting the dependency chart.

Icons are not final.

8 Likes

Did you use a picture that you pixelized, or you drew it from scratch?

Pretty much both. The base is comprised of about 12 photos (as there would have been no way to fit the whole room in one picture otherwise), and then painted over with lots of modifications. Also all persons were photographed individually.

1 Like

Hi

Let me go through these :slight_smile:

(Note: I have made some changes to the chart since I posted it before I read this post, so maybe some things are already fixed)

First of all, about nomenclature: In the chart, when I say that several puzzles are optional, I mean that there are several ways to achieve a goal. This is indicated with dashed lines and a filled circled. A slightly different concept is whether an action needs to be performed to finish the game: Most actions need to be performed to finish the game, but some don’t; these are logically called “optional”, but to avoid confusion I’ll just write “necessary to finish the game”. The point about actions not necessary to finish the game are that we don’t need a special notation for them in the chart: They can be recognized because that don’t have a downward from them to the end of the game. This is the reason why “use breath mint” is not specially marked; one can derive that it is not necessary for finishing the game because it doesn’t have outgoing edges. The same is true for talking to the Important Looking Pirates. While that has an outgoing edge, it only goes to “follow storekeeper to Swordmaster”, but that is only one of two ways to enter the forest. Thus, no downward path from “talk to Important Looking Pirates” to the end of the game, and thus that action is not necessary to finish the game.

If you decide not to, you would ask the store keeper a different question and he leads you to the sword master anyway.

Really? I missed that ! In fact, I purposefully went to the storekeeper without having talked to the Important Looking Pirates in order to check this and didn’t get any option like that – do you know if one must first do something else to trigger that phrase?

And despite a useless effort, you can actually cook the fish and the hunk of meat.

Yep, I noticed that and added it, although it is now only written as text inside that one box, and not broken down as it should – let me do that.

After “open : prize”, “look at : small key” is also optional. You can use the prize in the cabinet instead, despite it being displayed wrapped up in later versions of the game. (fixed in the Ultimate Talkie Edition)

Oh, I don’t know that. Will try and add it.

The script for bargaining with Stan is quite complex, and there are several variations of it. With the right strategy, you can buy the ship with all extras included, or without the extras for 4000 pieces of eight. Which of course doesn’t add any comfort to the ship’s crew anyway.

Oh, so this is one of those “red boxes” which I count as “beyond what this type of chart can denote”. But the way I remember it is that you have to do all things to get the price down. Do you have a pointer to a script for this?

The spyglass can be used to help aim with the rock shooting device. Once opened, though, this option is gone.

I had no idea; must try it out.

Many items could be cooked together with the required ingredients. And some more could be turned into flaming mass. Which items exactly differ between game versions, though. You can get yourself in a dead end here in some versions of the game.

At the moment I’m listing “business card, map, T-shirt,or 100% cotton T-shirt” that can be put in, but those are not needed later. Do you have more info about which items, and which version?

Cheers
JĂ©rĂ´me

4 Likes

Indeed. This particular question only appears if you bought the sword and no one mentioned the swordmaster before. So yes, you have to buy the sword first.

There is a secret mechanic. The very first offer you make sets the margin you get to bargain with. Offer 2000 first, and you will be able to sail away will all extras included. If your start with a 5000 offer, you will need to get more involved to get the Sea Monkey at all.
Also, due to a script error, the porthole defogger is for free, thus it doesn’t matter at all whether you reject it or not. (fixed in the Ultimate Talkie Edition).

Cheers for these answers, I’ll try them and change the chart

Lol at the porthole defogger though :))

I update the chart to reflect that in order to unlock the storekeeper going to the Sword Master, you can talk to the important-looking pirates OR buy the sword. I’ll do the details in Part II and III another time (have to replay through the whole thing to get there because I lost the save files)