Narrative-based "adventurous" games: have you played them?

I found some of them hard. A lot of the puzzles use things you’ve learned from earlier ones, which helps. It’s a bit subjective though - you’ll have to play it to find out :wink:

I don’t remember having to shoot stuff in Talos… Unless you’re referring to the lasers?

Portal does require a bit of carefully timed movement on the harder levels. I spent a lot of time screaming at cubes.

Mmh… maybe it wasn’t me shooting at something, but something shooting at me or killing me. I don’t remember it very well, my brain just erased most of that experience immediately, classifying it as something I’ll probably never play again.

1 Like

Sunset (based on exploration, narrative and puzzles):

1 Like

I absolutely adore games like that. Many people call them walking simulators, but I don’t really like that term. It’s like that term was invented by someone who saw and didn’t like the games in the first place.

Narrative adventures? Far better!

Tragically, I cannot play a good number of them because the creators just love to make Horror games in that subgenre. For once I would love a game like that without monsters, or blood and gore on the walls, or other scarefests.

1 Like

I have played all of these except the Zero Escape series – all 3 games are still sitting on my shelf unopened. One of these years…

I so wish I could play MEI2, but it wasn’t localized. :cry: I’m still making my way through SoJ and I never did start the last DLC in Dual Destinies.

I have also played (and loved to death) “Hotel Dusk” and its sequel, “Last Window.”

Know what you mean. I actually had to stop and write out a summary of the events so I could keep them straight in my head. The funny thing is, when I looked back at my summary once I had finished the game, I saw that one of the things I had written was, “What’s up with that cat??” I had hit on the game’s twist without realizing it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have Miles Edgeworth Investigation 2 in English, localised from an independent fans group. 10/10 to the translation, they made an excellent job!

You must own the original Japanese rom file, then apply the patch.
Click here for full details information.

The patch translates all the common screens of the game (title screen, case selection screen, save screen, profile/evidence screen), all the text, all the graphics (yes, including backgrounds, sprites and even evidence) and all the voices (recycled the old voices when possible or dubbed by voice actors for the new characters) in English for all cases.
In other words, they eradicated all Japanese from the game and you would think you have a US release of the game in your hands.

1 Like

Those are also called “decision game”, because the plot and the entire game is driven by your decisions. The story is… so to speak… mind-fu@#!&g, or should I say, mindbender.
You should play those games in order.

I want to replay it, at which point are you now?

Oh, it’s a must! Do you remember when, in the 4th case of Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright, you had a parrot on the witness stand, and you had to cross-examine it? Did you think it was the most bizarre witness you saw? Nope. It’s the second most bizarre witness you have ever seen! :slight_smile:

I didn’t play both of them. A friend of mine gave me Hotel Dusk a few years ago, but I wanted to finish the Ace Attorney series first. I think I will start it, tonight!

I my previous list, I forgot to mention 2 games for Nintendo DS:

• Another Code: Two memories (Trace Memory in USA)
  • Time hollow

In the first game, the main character is a 13-years-old girl (Asley), who, while searching for her lost father, meet a ghost boy who lost his memory. There is a narrative part together with some puzzles to solve.

In the second game, puzzles are quite easy, but you, the player, have to draw circles which become time portals, and interact through the “other side”, like in LOOM. Changes made through time portal affect the present time (like in DOTT).

I loved it. I still play “For River” on the piano regularly. The exploration of Johnny’s memories revealed a sweet and sad background story and the interaction between the two scientists was a funny contrast and even led to some poignant plot points of their own. And the ending was amazing.

Just started “Hotel Dusk room 215” for Nintendo DS. It looks like interesting, and I like the vertical orientation, book-style!

2 Likes

The first one in the Zero Escape Series (999 - 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors) is the best visual novel i have ever read/played. The setting might not be everyones cup o tea though…
Or is it the first Phoenix Wright?

I never managed to like FPShooters, and in my not very humble opinion “walking Simulators” often lack in terms of gameplay and narrative complexity. But i do like games like Portal as long as they are kind of crazy, so these are my recommendations:

http://www.antichamber-game.com/

and

http://necrophonegames.com/jazzpunk/

If you consider programming as a kind of adventure, then the following might be for you :slight_smile:

http://www.pony-island.com/

and

https://tomorrowcorporation.com/humanresourcemachine

1 Like

@seguso

Have you played The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav? Ya spend a lot of time with a second character who accompanies you, and they have a curious friendship. You might enjoy the narrative aspect of that game. The puzzles are mediocre, though it does have a couple of long and rewarding sections with quite inspired puzzle design. It is marred with all the typical annoying lack of polish that percolates in perpetuity through Daedalic titles. I did enjoy this game, though.

1 Like

I have played a game by Tale of Tales in the past. I remember it being quite experimental and sometimes this kind of game receives poor reception by the market.

Can I ask you which aspects of this game you liked most? I have read that there is a lot of pixel hunting, can you confirm this?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
RIght now I am playing Resonance and I have to say it’s one of the best games I ever played. I’m impressed.

Wow, I like the graphics :slight_smile:

Is that a coincidence that the first three of those four games seem to be designed to cause seizure? :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes apart, I knew these games and Human Resource Machine was in my Steam wishlist (before it got removed when I decided to focus on games more based on narrative). From its style, I see that it has been developed by the same people who created Little Inferno, which I enjoyed playing.

I don’t know Antichamber but Jazzpunk and Pony Island are good.

I remember seeing this game when it was released. I liked the idea but didn’t think it would be to interesting to me.
So I haven’t played Human Resource Machine but it looks like the younger sibling of TIS-100.

Since it’s offtopic here I’ll better make a new topic about puzzle-based games.

Yes. The puzzles are awful or non-existent. Most of the time you have to run through the whole house, searching for clues and notes. You have to read a lot.

With your actions and decisions you change the story. And the story gets very interesting after a while.

(But after playing it: The 20 bucks on Steam are too much for the game.)

Do you really think that this is a game? :wink: