NON-SPOILER thread for Return To Monkey Island

I played it for maybe ten minutes.

I think I’m finally stuck in part 4, after 13 hours! And it’s great!
I’m especially puzzled by the Zak McKracken style’s maze!

I have 3 golden keys.

I hope to stay stuck for a long time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have one golden key and I’m stuck. :confused:

1 Like

3 keys now and stuck again.

1 Like

Way of the Road, Bubs. Better than me I had to work a ton of extra hours as soon as the game came out and last night I came down with a 102F fever so I am sadly stuck on Part 2. Covid negative at least presently.

2 Likes

I have 3 keys too. I just reached the intermission, and was so excited at they idea that this is only half way. I should be working right now, but want to keep playing…

1 Like

I have 4 keys and I’m stuck.

1 Like

I have four keys too now, and stuck.
It’s awesome :slight_smile:

Edit: I think I got iiiiit!! Great puzzle!

revisit every place, don’t leave out anything!

1 Like

Part 5 starting!

2 Likes

Completed!

Verdict for Parts 1-3: 4/10

Verdict for Parts 4-5: 8/10

Final rating: 7/10 (teetering on a 6, but I’m feeling generous)

Ranking of the series (best to worst)

Revenge>Secret>Curse>Return>Tales>Escape

4 Likes

Completed :slight_smile:

The ending was magnificent.
But I still have to fully understand it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just started part 5 and I’m slowing down now. I love the dialogue in the beginning of this part between Guybrush and Elaine.

I’m stuck in the catacombs. Can someone tell me if I’m suposed to have 5 stone coins, or am I missing 1?

You’re supposed to have five.

1 Like

you’ve found all the coins there are.

1 Like

That puzzle didn’t make a great deal of sense to me. I mean, I do understand the thinking behind it but it wasn’t overly clear which how many coins were needed for each… well, you know (trying to avoid spoilers). Mind you realising that there was another item was the “a-ha” moment in solving it, but even then, I had to reallocate coins a couple of times.

Ahhh I finally got it, it was stuck on that puzzle for so long. I was trying every combination of 5 until the lightbulb went off. The answer was hidden in plain sight. The best kind of puzzle in my opinion.

So in playing through for the second time I’ve found another UI/interface annoyance.

The first one was the lack of interactive verbs - a serious downgrade.

What I’ve found now is that previously lines of dialogue are not marked in any way and sometimes appear at the top of the dialogue selection, above yet unspoken dialogue! This is a serious error in design and could have been corrected by simply changing the colour of the choice to something else (e.g. orange) and moving the previously-used dialogue below unused dialogue.

2 Likes

I also didn’t like the way that characters who have no dialogue tree would often only have one line of dialogue when you click on them, which was a problem because I loathe to miss any dialogue, so I would always click on them a second time, only for them to repeat what they’d already said (which was sometimes a good few sentences long), leading to me having to press the period key to skip the dialogue.

I think the ideal way of adventure games handling such instances is for each character without a dialogue tree to have two or three separate sentences that they say when you click on them each time, with the final sentence (and therefore the repeated sentence when you click again) being their shortest dialogue (just a single line, or a few words).

1 Like

why did you click on them if the hover text hadn’t changed?
AFAIR that’s the indicator whether they have some new dialog or not… (but maybe I don’t recall)