NON-SPOILER thread for Return To Monkey Island

It changed? I didn’t even notice that. Either way, it would have been nice to have such characters have more than one thing that they say, which most of them didn’t.

Finished! Without hints!
Now I can read all the messages left on this forum!

5 Likes

(Lalala not reading anything here…)For whenever @LowLevel gets here… The name of the Voodoo lady is…. not Hernando!

For all the rest: man, this game is tough! I have played 4.5 hours in three sessions now and feel like I have progressed only to about 2/3rds of part 1. But I refuse to use the in-game hints.

Bye for now- crawling back into my metal box without gaming/twitter/facebook/video related youtube spoilerfree heaven.

4 Likes

Yes, I submitted both a bug report and a formal complaint.

3 Likes

come on dude, TWP was a lot harder :smile:

3 Likes

It seems so, it’s all simplified, streamlined, dumbed down compared do TWP. But I keep getting stuck on some trivial stuff. Like not reading the plaque on Carla’s monument, or ignoring the strange mess that is called laundry machine for some reason..

1 Like

EDIT: Whoops! Nonspoiler thread.

2 Likes

I finally finished it.

I need to let my feelings ferment before I can understand what I feel about it.

But… great game.

5 Likes

Edit: never mind, I see it’s blurred :slight_smile:

1 Like

What was the “chicken minigame”, after all? I didn’t see any…

Too bad I didn’t read anything prior to finish the game. Would have been nice to use that trick

Wasn’t this explained during that segment with the kids in the beginning?

1 Like

Yes, it was explained. But I didn’t realize I could turn off the subtitles and recap when in need, because I was playing with subtitles on, since English is not my native language

1 Like

Gotcha.

I prefer to have the text onscreen anyway. I did muck with the settings to make the text smaller and to remove the black background / window.

I have problems when both voice and subtitles are on, because I can’t help reading very fast, and then waiting for the voice to finish is unnerving. This feature allowed me to finally fully enjoy a game. I pressed the comma button maybe 7/8 times.

2 Likes

It’s not a surprise that the previous game I got the same is Thimbleweed Park.

3 Likes

Kudos!

I managed to finish it just now. Took me a lot of time. In a way I found something through this game. I loved MI since I was a teen and wondered what would happen if Ron made the third episode. I wanted to go through MI1 and 2 before Return, but didn’t find time and it’s a pity, because I don’t know if I’ll ever want to do it again. Be careful what you wish for indeed.
Other than the voice acting, and some occasional funny things there’s nothing I liked about this game. Even the music wasn’t memorable (the new pieces) and sometimes didn’t fit what was going on. Lots of people do not like the ending, but at least this part was somewhat of a story with a thought. The rest of the game is written like the only idea is to make things very stupid, because that’s funny. Controls aside, I think I may have liked Escape better, at least it wasn’t so random all the time and it had a story. The letdown form the originals is kind of expected given the age I played them but I’m more surprised how much it’s worse than TWP for me. TWP wasn’t that long ago and I really liked that game.

There’s also nothing innovative about the Return. Ron couldn’t do anything more with the adventure game than what was already tried countless times in the last 20 years. Oh yeah, the examination and action buttons are switched. They didn’t know or they didn’t care what’s the convention?

I was wrong about the art style though, I admit. It really fits this game - for all the wrong reasons.

It’s silly to say as an adult, because after all it’s just a game series from my childhood, but I think I’m ready to move on.

3 Likes

I think it’s good that we finally got the “real secret”, so that no one has to be wondering forever what it was going to be.

RtMI makes me appreciate Curse a lot more now… for a long time I liked Curse a lot, but always thought of it as not the “real” third game and not the real conclusion to MI and MI2, and I was waiting for the true ending.

But now I see what a great job Curse did at continuing the story in a satisfying way.

If I replay the games now, I’ll probably play them as - MI, MI2, Curse, Tales.

2 Likes

Mutiny on Monkey Island “real secret” is the one for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes