Petition: Disney, please sell the rights to 'Monkey Island' back to its creator Ron Gilbert

Well, I would just like to know how the whole story ends. :slight_smile: MI2 had a cliffhanger at the end. I don’t need a MI3 but I would like to know what happened to Elaine and why Guybrush and LeChuck are kids …

btw: I’m not a friend of the “we split the story into multiple parts” thing either. I hate sequels. In most cases they are worse than the first part.

If Ron did MI3a, I don’t think he could be coherent with the ending of MI2. I mean with the fact that they’re brothers and that it was all a dream. He 'd have to ignore everything and pretend that MI2 ended with part 2. Like monkey 3 did. I mean, I don’t see how he could do different.

But I do. :wink:

I have several ideas how the story could proceed. So it’s easy possible. (And that’s a reason why I don’t like the story in MI3. The designers of MI3 haven’t invested much time and brainpower in the first quarter of the story.)

1 Like

this will probably never see the light anyway, so why don’t you tell us? :slight_smile:

Because I would influence Ron. He has already an idea (and probably a whole story). If I write down several ideas, Ron has these others ideas in mind. And from my own experience I can say, that this wouldn’t be good for the result - especially if Ron has already an ending for MI3a in mind. (Plus: At the moment I have only a beginning for a MI3a and not a good(!) ending.) But if Ron wants to know my ideas and he tells me his idea, I will share my ideas immediately.

As a hint: At the end of MI2 you have two kids guided by parents and Elaine on a rope. Focus on this situation and try to figure out what could happen next. :slight_smile:

Say what you want but MI2 intro (Guybrush and Elaine on the rope) it’s the best intro scene ever for a videogame/book/movie. Ron have a gift. Noway

In the last ~30 years, I have continuously wondered how that specific story ends and what’s the secret of Monkey Island from Ron’s point of view.

That’s funny, I assumed Ron does not know that. What makes you think he knows what the Secret of Monkey Island is?

1 Like

Ooooh I dunno about that. I love the opening of Indy 4 and Uncharted 2. :smiley: [quote=“seguso, post:48, topic:76”]
That’s funny, I assumed Ron does not know that. What makes you think he knows what the Secret of Monkey Island is?
[/quote]

Heh. Maybe Ron has been somewhat wondering like the rest of us, and surely ideas evolve after so many years. Like he’s said before: if he made MI3 now, it would not be the MI3 he’d have made in 1993.

I’m not thinking that he already knows.

If he has already established what the secret is, OK. If he still has to establish what the secret is, OK as well. I just would like him to finish his story.

1 Like

But it’s somewhat sadistic: Ron won’t get the IP but he knows the secret and the end (I assume that because he said that a third part was planned). All fans will rack their heads about the secret and the “real” end of MI forever and going slightly mad about this.

Yesterday’s news:

Hackers Holding Disney’s Latest ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ For Ransom

Disney’s upcoming Johnny Depp film Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been pilfered by ransom hackers seeking payment from the studio. The hackers have demanded an enormous amount of money be paid in Bitcoin. Disney is currently working with the FBI and will not pay.

Full article here

Are you thinking what I’m thinking? :smirk:

Mr. Gilbert… you wouldn’t! :scream:

1 Like

Modern day pirates assault modern day galleons! And they’re gentlemen thieves too. No blood, no murder, no kidnapping of people for ransom…

1 Like

It happened to him too:

I can’t believe it, it’s a joke for sure :delores:

It actually is!

I’m just worried about the bus factor of The Secret of Monkey Island.

Ron suggestions to avoid #Wannacry? Or it’s a global media terrorism thing to scare us mere mortals?
Also any solutions to delete Trump or italian government?

For Wannacry: PREVENTION

1. Make backups
  2. If you have Windows, keep it updated. Even Windows 10, because it has holes and bugs, too.
  3. If you have Linux, good.
  4. Make backups
  5. Make more backups.
1 Like