[Poll] How fast will you finish RtMI?

Shovel Knight Dig comes out later this month. I’ll try to transfer my internet presence to that.

1 Like
  1. I have a feeling this will be easier than TWP.

2. I will not use any form of hint or walkthrough, because I won’t spoil a game I’ve waited 30 years for;

3. I will avoid dragging an object around to see if it “lights up” and the text appears, until I am sure I’ve solved a puzzle. Possibly I’ll play with a controller, just to be sure I don’t accidentally solve a puzzle by dragging around.

4. I will not use everything on everything when I don’t know what to do (it’s like cheating)

5. the longer I remain stuck, the better. So if you don’t see me here for 3 weeks, it means I’m having the time of my life :slight_smile: OR that there’s a monkey wrench puzzle there, in which case you won’t see me anymore :frowning:

4 Likes

3 Likes

[quote=“seguso, post:22, topic:5159”]* I will avoid dragging an object around to see if it “lights up” and the text appears, until I am sure I’ve solved a puzzle. Possibly I’ll play with a controller, just to be sure I don’t accidentally solve a puzzle by dragging around.

• I will not use everything on everything when I don’t know what to do (it’s like cheating)[/quote]

You’re going to miss out on a level of immersion - Guybrush’s hoverthoughts.

Have you played other adventure games this way?

fortunately the overthoughts are only on mouseover, not on dragging. I’m sure they will also be there with the controller. :slight_smile:

With this level of fundamentalism? :slight_smile: Thimbleweed park maybe.

The fact is, I only consult the walkthrough when I don’t trust the designer. How do I know the solution makes sense? But with Ron and Dave, I’m sure of it, so why would I want to consult a walkthrough? Because I want to see where the story goes? But for me, the good part is being stuck: wandering around in great ambience while trying to solve a puzzle. The story is really not what drives me.

2 Likes

I believe there’s web browser extensions you can use to block keywords in Youtube video titles, if you want some protection in that way. You might be safe using one of those + only checking your subscriptions page (if you know the people you subscribe to are unlikely to drop unmarked spoilers).

My personal definition of a spoiler is very loose. My boundaries are major plot twists, surprising plot beats, and endgame content only. I don’t consider anything else a spoiler. Best wishes to people avoiding spoilers, who have higher standards of what counts as a spoiler than me.

Then, if I still get spoiled even by my loose definition, it would be funny I think.

1 Like

Based on the other Monkey Island games and TWP, it’ll probably be around 2 or 3 days.

However, I don’t sleep very much so that could literally mean I’m playing 44 hours straight with no breaks. Plus, if I get stuck I’m only willing to futz around for so long. I’m too old and I have to many responsibilities to make no progress for too long. Once I’ve revisited all the locations and racked my brain, if I’m still stumped I will be going to the hint system.

2 Likes

I didn’t think about that, thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

So here is a non-spoiler by your definition… They are all the solutions to the puzzles:

1. Pick up secret
  2. Throw secret in fire (yes, the last jedi-style)
  3. Talk to the lookout and ask where the scumm bar is
  4. Go to the scumm bar and make out with Elaine

5. Walk over to the three important looking pirates and make out with a blowfish

6. Flip the fish around and repeat step 5.

7. Spend the rest of the game trying to convince Elaine you’re not disgusting

4 Likes

wow i get to make out WITH elaine, AND a blowfish twice? thats some major stamina

1 Like

Does “The Cave” count?

If I got Ron in one of his interviews right, the hint system will be there automatically. So if the game decides that you’re stuck, it will give you some more clues.

So, there is no way to prevent the hint system to provide hints? :thinking:

Shouldn’t the hint system be optional?

1 Like

Ron hasn’t given any hint about that. I assume that there will be an option. And please note, that I could be wrong: Ron hasn’t described the hint system in detail.

I don’t know the interview, but I’m pretty sure I read them say that the hint system would be something you have to specifically access.

1 Like

I voted “in a week” because then I have to play the games from the adventure game jam where I’m the judge :stuck_out_tongue: and I only have one week available.

6 Likes

Sorry, my fault, @BaronGrackle is right: I’ve read another German interview where Ron explicitly said that you have to explicitly activate the hint system if you got stuck.

3 Likes

Thank goodness. Ron has always advocated separation between hint system and UI, but you never know :sweat_smile:

I would say that a hint system designed to force hints to the player would be automatically excluded by most adventure game designers. :stuck_out_tongue:

That could be a funny topic for a game, though: the player has to fight an evil/bugged hint system designed to spoil everything.

1 Like

I’m currently facing this problem. I have a supporting character that I want to use as a recap for the player - you talk to him and you can chat about your goals - but I’d also like to have it as a hint system. But I don’t know how to make it clear that you’re entering spoiler territory.

I mean, a dialog tree with a recap of the goals is fine but then there would need to be a clear “I need your help to solve this problem” and I fear people may click it by mistake.

I could have an option flag that enables hints in the dialog tree maybe? I don’t know.

Or just not have any hints because let’s be realistic here, only hardcore adventure game players will care about playing my game.

2 Likes