[Poll] Return to Monkey Island trailer: do you like the art style?

I don’t want to talk about the art since so much is said about it but after having seen the trailer I wonder still about if Guybrush is a kid or not. Why there’s scrapbook with his name on it? So that all the games are his imagination and pages on the scrap book?

Could it be a scrapbook used as an album of memories?

He says “… and this is a story about the time I finally found the secret of Monkey Island.”

1 Like

Yes. It’s very open. It might be that and I hope it is the case or also be very well saying this is how I concluded my original imaginative story. And all the other scraps correspond to the other games so they are acknowledged.

I voted 2. I definitely liked it more before I saw it moving. If a 3 means “I like it well enough” then I figure a two means “eh, I don’t really like it.”

I did go back and watch the teaser today and it still feels fine to me. Better than the trailer. Maybe it’s the boom boom boom nature of a trailer compared to letting scenes play out. Maybe I’ll play it for five minutes and be like “this rocks”

1 Like

Have you “played” the official website?

2 Likes

I didn’t pick a number, but I’m kind of bummed down with the character’s style and much more with the animation. I’m an artist myself and I feel the characters looks too cheap and are targeted to toddlers instead… like they went full on Fisher-Price with it… DeathSpank had a more mature look to it even though the style is somewhat similar.

I really hope I’m wrong about it and who knows if this will become my top favorite game in the franchise, but all excitement went away for me to be honest, I might pick this up eventually at a discount, but sadly I won’t be buying it right away.

1 Like

One interesting thing about this art style has happened to me the moment I “played” the official website, interacting with Stan: the art style disappeared.

I was involved in the interaction and how good or bad the art style was for me ceased instantly to play a role.

I’m not saying that the same will happen to other people, but I find it interesting that it happened to me, because I wasn’t sure that it would happen. But it did.

1 Like

No. I figured it was just some text thing you guys were talking about

I think Gary’s presence on this game will be sorely missed.

Not sure where to post this one…a choose your own adventure for all of us:

2 Likes

I’ve read so many people sharing this impression that I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s an intentional choice.

Maybe it’s their way to extend Monkey Island to new generations of players, targeting (also) old fans that now have become parents and that can make good use of the children-friendly art style to share the joy of Monkey Island with their children.

And what if they just loved the style?

That’s possible, but it’s also common for an art director to choose a style that is functional to other aspects of a project. For example, the plot of the game or which people you want to attract.

Sometimes an art style can be discussed solely from the “how it looks” aspect, but other times it’s also (and more importantly) “how it works to achieve some goals” if it is applied to an interactive medium.

My hunch is that the choice was also functional:

An art style has to connect with the core themes of the game you’re making, its not an interchangeable thing that you apply like a Photoshop filter, and for this adventure a picture-book style was the right fit.

(Source)

1 Like

I think I was expecting to watch the trailer and go, “oh wow, our first proper look at RTMI!” and be excited, but I’ve watched it a few times now and I don’t really get any feelings from it…
I don’t know if that’s just the art either, it’s kind of what we’re told of the plot as well.

I don’t have a negative reaction to it, just a sort of blank ¯_(ツ)_/¯ feeling.

1 Like

If you talked to Stan, did interaction change anything for you?

1 Like

The talk with Stan definitely brought back good MI feelings, but I don’t really know how to fit that together with the feelings from the trailer.

4 Likes

I mean, it’s just a trailer. :wink:

2 Likes

They didn’t treat us like toddlers when we where kids, why do it now?
The same happened with Broken Age, the look and most of the game is very childish, when we were kids we had cool mature things like Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and even Day of the Tentacle with its super cartoony theme and look and yet it didn’t treat us like very young children.

1 Like

Broken Age I felt had a decent tone, for its storyline. Did you find the story too kiddy, or just the art?

The animation was definitely stylistic, but it was a brand new story/universe, so I didn’t come into it with prior conceptions.

Assuming that my hypothesis is correct, people take artistic (and marketing) decisions for a lot of different personal (and business) reasons. Who knows why they went in this direction?

In any case, I don’t perceive that “treating us” feeling as you do. I don’t assume (nor demand) that the new game has been designed to attract/satisfy me specifically.

I understand what you mean, I didn’t like that style, so I imagine that the game was designed to attract people with a different taste.