Puzzle Games on VR Headset

5 Likes

Because the admins can access yhe complete database. I am not saying they do, but they could if they want to. You can read about it on the meta Discourse

1 Like

okay but that would require some effort I doubt theyĀ“d go through without any serious suspicionsā€¦

Yeah, probably not.

The first one is a Half-Life map and is still available here: Monkey Island 3D - Jens Isensee
I have never seen the third one available for download. Also note the he misinterpreted Captain Dreadā€™s ship. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Havenā€™t tried a VR myself but from what Iā€™ve heard / read they donā€™t work well for walking through a simulated world.
The body doesnā€™t like the disconnect between standing still but seeing smooth movement.
Thatā€™s why VR games mostly use ā€˜teleportationā€™ to move people around.

Maybe thatā€™s different with the recent VR sets.

What may be neat though is an adventure based on augmented reality. That is using something like Hololense or Magic Leap.

And suddenly Thimbleweed park is everywhere.

Implementing the virtual world and the puzzles would be a lot harder though since they have to work for whatever real environment the player is in. But developers like new challenges, donā€™t they.

D.

Well, I prefer smooth movement because it feels so much better. I admit itĀ“s a bit like you were floating slightly above ground, like if you were standing on a hoverboard or something, but at the moment that is the best we can get. Playing Skyrim like this was endless fun.

:point_up: THIS sounds amazing!

Sounds like Pokemon Go and Ingress ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve started dipping my toes into game development with a friend. If we ever get to that level, Iā€™ll post something. Donā€™t hold your breath though.
First step will be to pixelate the players view to get that 80s feel:)

Yep. But with the ā€˜gogglesā€™ this should be much more immersive.

But thatā€™s all just speculative. Iā€™ve never even had one of these on my head.

D.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting, I would like to work with the AR stuff too, but hadnā€™t the time and opportunity. Do you have already (the) hardware?

Iā€™m not so sure about that resp. it depends on the ā€œvirtual worldā€: If you show only single objects like a little monster on the street, the smartphone solution would be similar immersive to AR with glasses (like the Google Glass ones) - because you hold the smartphone near to your face in most cases. To dive into a virtual world, you have to replace or change the world in your game more drastic.

No. Havenā€™t had the justification to buy something yet. Once the Magic Leap is out Iā€™ll have a good look at it.

By pixelating it maybe:)
Iā€™ve never used AR on the phone so this is uniformed, but I imagine it to be rather awkward. In particular when you are moving whilst looking at the screen.

D.

1 Like

On the contrary, thatā€™s where it shines. :wink: