Return to Monkey Island fan art

Could you point me to the source of this statement? :slight_smile:

Mark describes the old RLE algorithm in this video (at about 24:30):

The easiest to find mention of LZW comes from a person who talked with him. It’s the first comment in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMakingOfGames/comments/u1cecr/the_making_of_monkey_island_interview_with_mark/

… but I remember a LZ-class algorithm mentioned also in another source (either text or video) that I can’t find at the moment.

2 Likes

I’d love a thread focused on this book, but it would include spoilers. Maybe there can be a thread on it by the end of the year? :smiley:

I want to say things like, “Wouldn’t it be cool if Guybrush did this thing in this chapter that reminded us of Jack Shandy? And then he . . . blah blah blah . . .”

1 Like

Yeah. I only quite recently learned that the old Sierra games actually used vector graphics due to the size constraints. I had always thought that maybe they didn’t have capable artists or just didn’t care so much about the looks, but knowing why everything is basically just solid flat colors lets me appreciate what they managed to do with that technique a bit more.

Of course, I then look at Another World as an example that vector graphics from that era could actually look great (when not restricted by an EGA palette) …

1 Like

I know, I know, I feel exactly the same and I’m already taking note of all the connections I recognize between the book and the games! :smile:

Like this one, taken yesterday (spoiler):

I’m still at 12% of the book and, considering my pace, it will take a few days to finish it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not only a matter of backgrounds.

Characters in that new image are way more detailed than the original MI1, and that would mean a lot of memory for animations :smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s the second biggest butt-chin I have ever seen!

1 Like

Yes it is. Amazing.

Fishy Guybrush by Ciro Cangialosi.

Visit his Instagram page to see his other drawings inspired by Return to Monkey Island:

6 Likes

Wow! This is really great art and a fascinating art style!

As my grandpa said “that’s really great, but please don’t do it anymore”

bergni01 added Herman Toothrot to his series. (shared in this tweet)

3 Likes

An alternative Guybrush with a bit more realistic proportions.

3 Likes

Lou @JustSlaythe applied the proportions of Elaine to Guybrush.

applying the proportions Elaine to Guybrush.

1 Like

Wow! This look much better! I would have never thought that the propositions had such an impact.

2 Likes

Just change the proportions, and the character immediately look feminine.
Given that both the proportions of Guybrush and Elaine are caricatural, that’s pretty incredible.

EDIT: maybe also removing the phallic nose played a certain role

1 Like

Hm… Do you think so? :thinking:

To me he looks younger but not feminine.

I really like the art style, but the nose is indeed horrible. :smile:

3 Likes

Having a toggle in the settings menu for “Phallic Nose - ON/OFF” would be ideal.

5 Likes