Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

Personally , as soon as RtMI is released, I’ll be busy playing so I won’t visit the forum for 2-3 weeks (the time I expect to complete the game). I can’t imagine coming here before I finish the game.

3 Likes

Did you do the same when TWP was released?

I believe so but I’ll check my forum posts later :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems TWP was released may 30th, I joined the forum 40 days later, having already completed it…

Basically for me the need to go to a forum is to discuss and relive those emotions. If I’m still playing, I don’t feel this need.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that for the Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls adventures. They had a very good parser.

We should do it like we did with TWP: We should try to blur any spoilers and/or add a hint in the title of the thread that there could be spoilers.

Beside that we should wait if Ron adds sections for RtMI in this forum. That would help a lot to sort the not-spoiler-free “I need help” threads from other discussions.

1 Like

Would you ask Calypso for guidance? She might have information on the future of this forum and that might help her providing better advice on how to handle spoilers.

@tlammert asked her already a while ago:

But maybe @Calypso has some new information about the future of this forum? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The graphic detail of those inventory items are extremely high, compared to the previous games.

That’s interesting. In the video we saw, hovering the Bone over the Skull gave us only the option to Conk Skull (ie Use Bone with Skull) or Remove Skull (ie Cancel Item and interact with Skull normally). But this quote points out, the system had the potential to give us a full verb list of things you could do with that Bone to that Skull. It might have been a list including Conk Skull with Bone, Attach Bone to Skull, Scrape Bone against Skull, Show Bone to Skull, etc.

It’s a funny quote because this system DOES address the comment @seguso had about “how would you like to use the items together” that no LucasArts game had allowed before.

However, the footage we saw only had the limited verb choice, and Ron’s immediate quote in this same answer indicates he’d shy away from having us guess the verb now.

Not exactly… the verb list Ron is talking about was the one that appears when you click an object. Not when you drag an object on another object. Delores never had a verb list in this case…

(And now we know even that verb list was removed from RTMI, because apparenty they never needed more than two verbs, so using left and right button was more convenient.)

Your parentheses section is completely right. But with your first paragraph, I’m referring to the POTENTIAL this UI system could have.

The quote was: “you’re using a screwdriver on something it’s not just use screwdriver with, but you can actually say that you’re, you know, you know, undoing something you’re loosening something you’re tightening something and to me that kind of takes his ambiguity for the player”.

So imagine this scenario: I get the Screwdriver from my inventory, and I drag it to a Screw on a cabinet. I want to Use Screwdriver with Screw. But when I hover on the Screw, a menu pops up with verbs related to the interaction:

Remove Screw with Screwdriver
Loosen Screw with Screwdriver
Tighten Screw with Screwdriver

And for the sake of example, let’s say that the solution to this specific puzzle is to Loosen the Screw, and then later on some other character breaks the cabinet when they try to open it. Or something. But it would not have solved the puzzle by tightening the screw or removing the screw… in fact, removing the screw might backtrack me from my goal by causing the other character to avoid interacting with the object, and leaving me with a Screw in my inventory that has no purpose except to be put back into the cabinet.

2 Likes

I agree: This UI would be really great! But designing the possibilities would be a huge effort for the developers. (And RtMI is using only two buttons, so the game couldn’t present more than two options.)

I see. Anyway these verbs would not be puzzle solutions, (otherwise seeing these 3 verbs would be a spoiler) but only possible interactions. But then, you might as well show these verbs when you right-click on the screw. showing them when you drag the screwdriver on the screw doesn’t add anything…

(Of course we’re talking about a hypotetical ideal UI, just for fun)

Well, you would need to find the screwdriver to do any of them. It would start out at a default “tight”. :smiley:

1 Like

Yep. If you haven’t yet found it, the character could say “I would need a screwdriver first”. (That’s not a puzzle anyway, as we said, so not a problem)

Oh yes, definitely. I suppose that’s always a balance.

And it’s funny when you look at how much effort went into unique responses for some parts of these games. For MI3, its Part 1 felt like it had a huge amount of unique responses for so little of an area… probably because it was the game demo. Eye verb on the Keyhole, Hand verb on the Keyhole, Mouth verb on the Keyhole, Use Hook on Keyhole… and the Keyhole wasn’t even an important object for puzzle solving. MI3 Part 1 goes by so fast if you’re trying to speed through it, but so slowly if you want to try everything.

2 Likes

I think there should be a spoiler thread and only there people should write about spoilers.
Still it’s risky to check forums and the Internet in general before beating it!

2 Likes

I’d like a place to discuss RTMI while playing it. People’s thoughts on a game evolve while they play the game, and I think it would be cool to have a place for people to share those.

I wasn’t here for the initial TWP hype, so I don’t know how these forums felt during that. Sounds like a cool atmosphere, it could be fun to have.

It would be nice to get a new push for new MI fans to join the forum, by the devs. Don’t want to destroy your existing forum culture, but I feel a lot of people could enjoy an Official MI forum. Twenty plus years of excellent MI fan forums have been great and I love all the fan forums. But the idea of an official MI forum after all these years is kinda novel and cool as well. Keep the URL the same though lmao.

I was lurking here a bit 12 months ago, in awe this place was still somehow going so long after TWP was released. There weren’t many of you left lol. A few months later, it was fitted by users into a Monkey Island discussion forum. now im here .

Taking over the TWP park hints section with RTMI questions until the admins are forced to do something.

1 Like

They felt f’ng great. The developers were here quite often, if not daily.

I agree. I’m not sure if it could actually happen, though. That’s mainly because “official” might imply Disney, which would complicate everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if Ron will do something with this forum, but my guess is that if something will happen, it will happen only after the release of RtMI.

Until then, we’ll manage with what we have.

3 Likes

Hey guys. Counting only Secret, Curse, and Escape, what was LeChuck’s scariest or most intimidating moment? In your opinion? Not counting anything from Revenge or Tales.

Because out of those three games? I don’t think anything beats the cutscene in Curse where he transforms into a demon from his boots, with the camera zooming out on the ship amidst his laughter, murdering those two guys.

What I’m really asking: Was LeChuck even that scary in Secret?