Ron Gilbert is having fun building a top-down RPG engine

For me it seems that @RonGilbert is doing a 2D-top-down version of the completely weird adventure-RPG game “Superhero League of Hoboken”. In that game there was a (cite): “… Tropical Oil Man, who defeats villains by giving them high cholesterol …”. AFAIR the pizza man had similar powers…

2 Likes

I don’t understand how I managed to live until now without knowing of the existence of this gem.

The off-beat protagonist is the Crimson Tape, whose power is to make organizational charts. His off-beat companions are the Iron Tummy, who can eat any amount of spicy food without suffering intestinal distress, Treader Man who is a fantastic swimmer, the Tropical Oil Man, who defeats villains by giving them high cholesterol, the Oxide Man who can damage mechanical enemies such as robots etc.

Thank you for changing my life forever.

1 Like

You can play it free online. (And I have the boxed version somewhere around…)

1 Like

Genius :slight_smile:

I feel I need to play a few Steve Meretzky games!

It seems you are one of 20.000. I’ve read it sold about 20.000 copies.

I remember I have a boxed copy of Eric the Unready (not by Steve Meretzky but by Bob Bates). Replaying it recently, it’s up there with Monkey Island for me, for humor and puzzle quality. That game is a titan. (btw, the gameplay is heavily influenced by Monkey Island. You can feel the shift of gameplay with respect to the previous Bob Bates games)

Yes, it surprised me too. :slight_smile: I’ve bought it in a sale somewhere in Germany, so it should be an even more rare piece. :wink:

I have one too. :wink: The Spellcasting 101 series (by Steve Meretzky :wink: ) should be also very good. Unfortunately I never bought one of these. As far as I remember they were very expensive in Germany…

There is an update about this game and it goes in the direction of that “RPG in which you can do non-usual RPG things” that has been also discussed in this other thread.

2 Likes

Maybe because it’s first person perspective? ; )

That might actually be! My preference for third person perspective has probably made me one of the people who contributed to the disappointing sales of the game.

I didn’t think we’d see a second post about this from Ron. Interesting… He might be putting serious time into this.

Maybe he´s working on a game about nothing?

It might be a philosophical reaction to this recent simulator published by DoubleFine.

1 Like

Just the shopping cart button weirds me out. It just says “Buy Everything”.

1 Like

To me, the more interesting aspect of it is that the second heading says “Buy Everything + OST”, which suggests that everything isn’t necessarily inclusive of everything and that there are different kinds of infinities that are bigger than other kinds of infinities, which is a real thing.

Yeah, like the saying :“Everybody and his brother knows that!”

Could this be the first inkling about his new top-secret user interface? He found a way to have puzzles without inventory?

Reading the Twitter comments, it seems combat is definitely going to be in it… Otherwise " it would be an adventure game", and he says he has already done a lot of them. (Suggesting " too many") .

This would be perfectly fine to me, if there were also a lot of puzzles. But so far, no evidence that there will be puzzles in it. Let’s see what happens…

Guys, girls and aliens: Ron is experimenting. And joking on Twitter. So why not just wait a little bit, drink a cup of tea and relax in front of a nice open fire instead of speculating? :slight_smile:

Because Internet, duh!

I believe that if my speculations become sufficiently harassing they can alter the course of history.

1 Like

As it is currently evident from the news, harassing can alter quite a bit.