The new Ron Gilbert game

Well,

What about it?
We know he is working on a new game but reading his Mastodon profile I could not get a clear Idea of what it is going to be.

Any idea? News? Secrets?

Bring it on!

1 Like

To me it looks like a rouge-like RPG. With quests and other stuff.

2 Likes

He mentioned the story idea -

He’s also mentioned before it’s a mix of Zelda games, the combat of Diablo II, and design/writing of Thimbleweed Park.

7 Likes

His upcoming new game is now mentioned on the Terrible Toybox website - https://terribletoybox.com

It’s called “Game Name TBD”. I like it, short and to the point.

“Best described as Classic Zelda meets Diablo meets Thimbleweed Park. Coming late 2024 (or maybe early 2025, this is gamedev after all).”

He also made a post about it, in the new “news” part of the website -

A few months ago (ok, maybe more than a few months ago) I started working on a new game best described as Classic Zelda meets Diablo meets Thimbleweed Park.

After spending close to a year looking, I finally found an artist and am now in the final stages of hiring a quest designer.

Wish me luck…

9 Likes

are you guys going to play this? (me I’m unsure. It depends on the amount of puzzles vs fights)

2 Likes

Likely. It depends on the price - and the critics. It’s not a “no-brainer” like an adventure game, but I do enjoy a good “Zelda meets Diablo meets Thimbleweed Park” remix. :wink:

2 Likes

I do like Zelda, so I’m kind of interested, but yeah the price will be a big factor.
I’ll definitely wait to see what the critics say, particularly about what kind of ending it has.

It might be a bit like The Cave for me, where it was too much platformer and not enough adventure game… I did buy it eventually, but didn’t get very far.

2 Likes

For me it had a good mixture, but some parts were too repetitive.

2 Likes

I do like that the new game has a pixel art look reminiscent of A Link to the Past, could be a nice “explore and look at the art” type of game in that respect

2 Likes

Not sure. Seems to be a genre where there’s a lot more competition than with P&C Adventures, so I guess it would need a compelling USP at the very least.

But if it’s anything like Eastward, I guess I would not really object to the gameplay, even though I prefer a more relaxed, i.e. turn-based, experience.

3 Likes

So, it is it.

When was the first time he spoke about making a sort of RPG but, hey, just for fun? Like, 2018?

3 Likes

I think I’ll play it. Probably not my cup of tea but hey, you never know!

3 Likes

I sometimes quip that Costume Quest is one of the best Final Fantasy games, or put another way: definitely.

2 Likes

Thimble Bow-Wow Diablo.

It’s not the kind of games that I play, especially if the world is too big to explore or if there is too much fight, but I did like some Zelda games (e.g. The Minish Cap) and I like the graphic style, assuming it’s the final one.

It just will show a box that informs you that you died of dysentery.

4 Likes

I never got into it, but mainly because of the Halloween setting. But the game itself was good, AFAIR.

1 Like

Ron: “Got distracted writing gravestone epitaphs. They are like eating potato chips, Once you write one, you can’t stop.”

Ron: “Too bad I didn’t crowd fund this game because I could get all my backers to write the gravestones and call it a $40 reward tier.”

4 Likes

That’s not an original idea… @Guga

4 Likes

That’s genius, I wonder if there’s ever going to be a game with custom epitaphs… :grin:

7 Likes

Updates are coming thick and fast!

Little update in the news section -

Behind the scenes shot on Mastodon -

3 Likes

The carrot field feels like Stardew Valley.

Please Ron, don’t put too much Stardew Valley stuff in it.

Very cool.

2 Likes