RTMI chest of articles

3 Likes

Nice interview. I liked this piece:

" A big inspiration for the original game was the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, and Disney now owns the rights to Monkey Island since it bought Lucasfilm. We asked if players could expect to see something from Pirates of the Caribbean in Return to Monkey Island. Grossman said there is at least one subtle reference to look forward to."

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Mixnmojo has interviewed Ron and Dave!

ADDED: there might be some serious SPOILER

I’m not sure, because I’ve only seen it mentioned in a forum, and I stopped reading the article as soon as Ron started discussing a certain topic…

6 Likes

I stopped read these articles a few days ago, for the same reason.

For the record, I read it all and there’s nothing remotely spoilerish :slight_smile:

Interesting bit about the music:

The fact that Mêlée is silent in the original is very much a technical limitation as opposed to an artistic choice.

Only, I found a contradiction with another interview. About the nature of the Secret.

3 Likes

IF Secret != hasReveald THEN Armageddon

1 Like
1 Like

I won’t read it, but I’ll archive it for future use. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Another one by IGN (with a new video, I assume):

Great read! I have been avoiding reading articles about the game, but I couldn’t help it in this case.

1 Like
4 Likes

Wow, on the official Lucasfilm.com!!! :smiley:

https://www.lucasfilm.com/news/the-creators-team-behind-return-to-monkey-island-talk-storytelling-game-design/

3 Likes

A video interview with Rob Gilbert and Dave Grossman.

3 Likes

Is Rob developing a game as well?

1 Like

WARNING

The gameplay video IGN posted today has a clear PUZZLE SOLUTION SPOILER.
(copied here as well the warning by @BaronGrackle)

I won’t even touch this article, so I can’t really say if this extended gameplay video is something new, but I assume it is because both the video on YouTube and this article are fresh:

2 Likes

https://game.intel.com/us/stories/return-to-monkey-island-reveals-its-secrets-or-does-it

Interview with Rex Crowle. The author talks not only about how the art style took shape, but also how difficult it was to keep the development secret and how the team interacted remotely during the COVID-19 lockdown.

2 Likes

I agree with Ron & Dave about the particles.

Gilbert : Technically, I really like our use of a particle system. You don’t see particle systems used in 2D vectors very much. We really have used the particle system a lot, especially with Chuck’s crew, a lot of which are ghosts; we have shaders on them and particle systems on them and it just makes the world feel more alive-- insects flying around and motes of dust floating in the air. That’s the thing I’m excited about. Particles.

Grossman: Yeah, the particle system is amazing, just thinking about what it is at its core and then how it gets used artistically. It’s a technical feat, but it’s also an artistic feat.

Gilbert: A whole discipline of people who do nothing but particle effects.

1 Like