SCUMM Questions for Ron and or Community

If you are an experienced hacker it would be easy to take the German version and replace the few German symbols (= graphics) with the symbols (= graphics) from the US version.

1 Like

Funnily enough I still remember “biography about Hitler” instead of “Mein Kampf” so they weren´t entirely consistent with restoring the original content.

btw: There were rumors that the German version still contains the Nazi symbols and that you can show them somehow (due to a glitch). AFAIR you had to move the mouse fast or something else. I haven’t checked that with one of the nowadays available SCUMM tools … (Maybe this is a weekend project for someone in this forum? :wink: )

The only handy version of the game I have available at the moment is the one from the 10 Adventures box set. Too bad you have to play the game rather longish before the first Nazi symbols finally appear.

That’s the VGA version? I have that somewhere too. (I just recognized that I have a lot of different Indy versions here: DOS EGA German, DOS VGA German, Gog English Version and the German Amiga version… :thinking:)

You can extract all graphics with one of these ease to use SCUMM tools.

1 Like

At least it was very close to how I remembered the Amiga version.

The Amiga version was the EGA version (or very similar to the EGA version - I don’t know if they polished some of the graphics).

It is really really long ago since I saw the amiga version. However between playing the amiga and getting the PC version on the 10 Adventures Disc only about 3 or 4 years passed and I don´t remember taking note of any major differences back then.

Indy 3 VGA (256 colors):

Indy 3 EGA:

Indy 3 Amiga (German):

Indy 3 Mac:

/edit: I have found a EGA vs. CGA comparison only in this old German article about Indy 3 (click for a higher resolution):

(Now I would like to replay Indy 3 … :wink: )

1 Like

Me too, after playing a lot of Wolfenstein the music (and of course the topic, duh!) there reminded me a lot of Indy 3! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s an interesting phenomenon, btw: Even if you know the ending of the LucasFilm/Arts games a lot of players likes to replay them occasionally. Compared to the Sierra games they have a high “replayability”.

2 Likes

64 colors using EHB mode, without incurring significant overhead in a well designed (i.e taking advantage of Amiga’s architecture) engine, which SCUMM was arguably not.

1 Like

@JoeCassara
This might put things in perspective:

1 Like

Just to clarify: my like is for the EHB mode (welcoming you for your first contribution), but not for the arguably not well designed engine! :slightly_smiling_face:

As we have seen for Thimbleweed Park, doing a port is a hard work, then as @Sushi wrote, the contractors probably didn’t (or weren’t asked to) spend too much time on the Amiga ports.
Commodore Amigas in the early nineties became less competitive as for the graphics, leaving room for the 80386 based computers.

Anyway, EHB doesn’t seem to significantly enhance the result. Colors are the same 32, but doubled with “copies” with half the brightness.
Watch here for reference (the same image with and without the EHB):

1 Like

In the very early 90’s when I got my first amiga, I had no way to compare MI1 to other platforms versions, but I remember thinking that the scrolling was really slow and jerky. Which was disappointing, compared to what the machine was capable of doing.
Of course that was offset by the artistic qualities of the game’s atmosphere, music graphics and story.
The amigas could definitely be upgraded with CD drives and graphic cards, but there was few software to make use of it. Great optimized SCUMM implementations would have been very welcomed back then.

2 Likes

I never noticed that as a kid (played Indy3, MI1 and MI2 on the Amiga). However, I thought Indy3 didn’t make good use of the Amiga’s graphic capabilities. It’s basically the EGA version with its garish colors, when the Amiga would have offered a much nicer palette to chose from.

However, I did notice how slow and sluggish things were when replaying Indy4 on an Amiga emulator with accurate speed settings. Compared to the DOS version I had played originally the difference was really obvious. And the color conversion left a lot to be desired, too. In contrast, I do like the Amiga graphics of MI 1 and 2 more than the DOS counterparts. And their music is brilliant, too.

Amiga MI2 has less music and only bits of iMuse implemented (that last info is according to a guy on Reddit, I was convinced it didn’t have any of it but he seemed to know what he was talking about). The sound of music on Amiga has it’s charm that’s true.

Graphics? I just did a quick check and the difference is that Amiga version has much more ugly dithering. Also it’s interesting that there’s a boat missing from the bridge scene! That’s probably because on DOS it has a paralax effect.

Indy 4 on Amiga 500 was the worst gaming experience of my life, because I was determined to finish it no matter what. I had two disk drives to help me, but it turned out one was taking some of the memory and it made the game even worse. I could easily count frames of animation of Indy in some scenes!

I loved this computer but it was outdated already when MI2 came.

5 Likes

Me too. I first played it on an Amiga 500. In some scenes, it slowed down to a 1fps slide show. That crowded scene with the knife thrower was the worst. Even the fades between rooms took forever there. They honestly should have put an 68020 as the minimum requirement on the sticker. Later on my Amiga 1200, it ran very playable, but the Amiga version is still missing most of the sounds and music and any trace of iMuse features. Well the music did use samples which were of better quality than most PC users had at the time (MT-32 alone would have cost more than the Amiga 500), but they sounded garbled whenever the music tried to play more than 4 notes at once, which did happen despite they already reduced the tracks in the midi resources.
It was a very poor port indeed. I bet, a well optimized engine could have made the Amiga 500 a decent platform for the game, but apparently, they didn’t bother anymore as they used to.
The first Monkey Island was the last LucasArts game on the Amiga with a decent effort put into the porting job, imho. Especially the sound engine was well suited to the Amiga hardware. Chris HĂźlsbeck did an awesome job here.

5 Likes

When was the SoundBlaster capable of samples? :thinking: The first SoundBlaster(s) could play digital audio, but wasn’t/weren’t able to use them as samples, if I remember correctly. The first one with support for samples was the AWE32?

The digital audio is sample playback. The difference between Soundblaster and Amiga is that the Soundblaster could only play one at a time, while the Amiga had 4 independent DACs. The AWE32 introduced the wavetable synthesizer with its own dedicated RAM, which certainly could beat the simple Amiga sound with ease, but that wasn’t a thing when Fate of Atlantis came out. Neither was the Gravis Ultrasound with a similar concept.

Many DOS games had a software mixer to compensate for that, and since it wasn’t possible for a game to take all the CPU time, the results were rather poor most of the time. Good resampling isn’t trivial. Even some professional audio editors still had poor resamplers far into the 2000’s, as you can see here: https://src.infinitewave.ca/
Forced to output 8 bit only, makes it even worse.
And the talkie version makes use of the Soundblaster’s PCM playback capability, of course, but there, it’s the voice acting samples itself which are poor quality. DOTT was a huge improvement in that regard.

The worse talkie adventure from an audio point of view was Star Trek Judgment Rites, imho. Which is due to a very poor mastering job. Star Trek 25th Anniversary had very clean voice acting. When I heard Judgment Rites, I first thought, they were downgraded to 11kHz (which did happen with Simon the Sourcerer 2 for some reason), but they weren’t. They just sound that poor. That was certainly a disappointment after the well sounding voice acting first game.

3 Likes