(Spoilers) Getting the best ending in the game

Indeed, hype is a good thing but can also be very dangerous (nice chart).

I guess on a wider scale it could work in TWP’s favour that it’s not attached to a massive franchise (like certain failed blockbusters recently) so there hasn’t been as much hype followed by unrealistic expectations. I reckon it has scope to be a bit of a cult game after it’s aged a bit (like a nice port).

“McGuffin” is the word. :wink:

EDIT: link for you convenience

1 Like

Well, I’m not convinced. There’s a lot of general videogames forums.
You can chime in, open a new thread, and say to the world: “you know what? Thimbleweed Park sucks!”

But, come on, if you don’t like something, would you subscribe an account in its official forum just for the purpose of writing a provocative review?
If you do, your intentions are obvious to me.

Said that, I’m not hurted by this behavior, and I even enjoyed in some way the review, as I mentioned.

Given that was his first post I at first wasn´t sure myself. But since then he has clearly formulated and opinion and brought himself into the discussion, so I think we can forget about the “T” word for now.

Everybody deserves a second chance.

Wise people can make wise use of it :slight_smile:

Thimbleweed park is my favourite game of the year! I can understand why people criticize it, because people criticize much more then they create. So it doesn’t surprise me. But I love this game!

My bf bought me an xbox s last christmas because I get really stressed from work sometimes and the workouts I was doing wasn’t helping my stress (usually does). I honestly don’t like video games because I have 3 little brothers and that’s all they do. I had no idea games like thimbleweed park existed until my bf introduced me to it. And from someone who doesn’t play video games much but does read a lot of books, that thimbleweed park is really well written! And it’s actually funny and a great stress reliever for me : ). It reminded me of x-files meets twin peaks and more.

I can’t stress enough how games like this should be praised because what do you have to compare them to? There should be 5 games like thimbleweed park coming out every year. I don’t want another shooter or online whatever that my brothers play. I want something that’s like a good book, that takes you somewhere. And thimbleweed park definitely accomplished this and surprised me and I recommend it to all my friends all the time. And I’m definitely getting some tshirts aha

I don’t mean to rant and I’m not a negative person by any means, I just get tired of creators being subject to people who don’t create. And I’m glad this forum exists because I just want to say to all the creators that you made a really smart game that I love showing to my little brothers, and that I’ve replayed more than once. I think that’s important, great job guys : ) !

4 Likes

Sometimes you have an ending, and sometimes it changes, because if you write characters right, sometimes they do things on their own, even if you insist in pushing them into another direction.

Headcanon for MI2 ending:

The Carnival of the Dead was a meta-hell where the characters were trapped in their true origin: the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, and they are forced to perform the same things over and over and over again, without being able to get out.

1 Like

That sounds almost as bad as Johnny Depp being forced to keep making those silly movies over and over again in order to pay his divorce lawywers!

2 Likes

Indeed, it is very tiring. I have a media production background myself and there is nothing more annoying than being subject to quickly written criticism from people who know nothing about the creative process. The worst is if it gets to a degree that makes you feel cornered and forced to defend and reason all your creative decisions. Having said that, feedback is also really vital as well, as external opinions really help a creator to stay grounded and on track - particularly as it’s always hard to let go of or cut something you have grown attached to, even if it might not really fit into the project any longer. In that way criticism has also helped me improving my work and deliver a better product in the end.

In some way all of us are consumers and critics. If I get some pastries from a bakery and say anything about them I also do so without knowing much about creating bakery… It’s all about the balance though: Of course I can (and should) still communicate how I liked the goods, but should keep it basic and subjective, like “It was too sweet for me”, but I can’t blast in there going “How dare you put sprinkles on top of that? The ratio of flour and ingredients is too unconventional. You should have done it differently!” The thing is that the most unfounded critiques are always found online and not in real life though, the lack of anonymity makes people seem to think more… :slight_smile:

Great, welcome to our niche! :wink: So as someone new to this, did you find TWP “in-jokey” in any way at all or did you play it with the in-jokes setting off? If you like this type of well crafted, funny, story-based point game that takes you somewhere, I really recommend exploring the back catalogue of classic point and click adventure games TWP’s devs have been involved in! :wink:

1 Like

I played it on my xbox one s in hard mode and I found it really funny. Again, it has an x-files and twin peaks sense of humour to me. The assortment of characters (even the non playable ones) are great.

The last game I played that I enjoyed like this was Oxenfree but it’s very different. I’ve tried the monkey island games and stuff but I couldn’t get into them to be honest. I’m not sure why, I think because it feels like it’s more for kids than thimbleweed park. I love Ransom! lol and the other adult themed jokes in the game aha It’s nice to have a game my little brothers don’t really understand yet aha

I did get a chance to play the dig and I thought that was really interesting, I luv the music in it! But to be honest I only play things on my xbox, so if it hasn’t been released on that I probably won’t play it anytime soon.

I received too a paper scan back in 1988 from San Rafael :slight_smile:, some sort of hints for Last Crusade but it wasn’t real hints (I was stuck in the Venice library). The origin of that document is still a mistery to me…

"not Tim Schafer quality"
Uhhhh… that’s where you lost me.

I have to admit I hated the ending. It felt like what my English teacher told me when I wrote a story and put and then he woke up. But then I wrote it off to a hallucination Guybrush had.

I really loved TWP Ending, though there were a lot of loose ends and I hate those. I felt it was ironic that the characters became self aware and then instead of what you expect where fiction is wrapped up neatly with a bow(how I like it), there were lots of loose disjointed ends. But now I’ve had time to think about that it sort of makes sense that they were clues for us alluding to the ending. Like the fire in 1977 and the Newspaper from the sewer about it from 1972.

Also, if you view the game through a Twin Peaksy type lense it makes a lot more sense.

1 Like

I don’t think it is. I always thought that a McGuffin was an object used to propel the plot along. This is an exciting incident which usually appears (for tv or film) at 10 minutes in.

Where comes this from?

I thought the fire was in 1967 (20 years ago?) which was the same year the sentinent meteor crashed near Dr Fred´s house.

I listed some events here: Really well hidden endings
The fire was 20 years ago which probably means about 20 years ago.

1977 would be a bit too far off for that though.

Yes but it could be 1968 or something else.

I prefer to stick with the date of the meteor crash to be exactly 1967 because: 20 years ago today > Sgt Pepper told the band to play > Sgt Pepper´s released in 1967.

1 Like