Strange food you should really give a try

Oh, how much I like to resuscitate old threads!

All this speaking about “Chicago style” and “New York style” pizza tingled my curiosity.

So I made a quick and shallow research, just to understand what those two styles are supposed to be. And…

Oh, no no no. I’ve read the ingredients. I’ve seen the pictures. This is definitely pizza, to me (or an attempt to, if it would taste bad :smiling_imp:)
I mean, the origin of the ingredients might be different, but -as far as I understand- the recipe and the techniques involved are pretty much the same than in italian pizza.
So, I can say “New York style pizza” is 100% pizza, to me. But so, why claiming it is an american specialty?

Once I spoke to an indian guy from Jaipur who told me that Milan, Italy was known among his compatriot friends living in Italy because of its very good Baingan Bharta. I’m happy about that. I would not say it can be considered an italian specialty, though.

Back to New York style pizza, as far as I can understand it shouldn’t be “something special that I can find there and not at home”, but simply a pizza (italian food), made by american chefs with american ingredients. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

“Chicago style” is another matter. I actually was very tingled by it. I saw the pictures. It doesn’t look like anything I know, maybe it has some resemblance with a pie, a “torta salata”, or maybe a “quiche”.
Ok, it looks to me like something typical, interesting and new for me. And enough “strange” to deserve a mention in this thread.
And it is definitely 100% american. But… Why call it pizza?

Come on, I am a great chef from Chicago, I invent a new great dish that gets famous, and I call it with a name of a specialty from another country? Some originality would add value to the dish, in my opinion.

Many countries share very different specialties which are based on the same concept.
But as far as I remember Mexican and American people call theirs “chili con carne” and not “Tex-Mex style Gulash”. French people say “ratatouille” and not “Caponata french style”. Italians say “Spaghetti”, and not “Noodles Italian style”.

Please, do note that all of the above examples are just for fun and can be read backwards, if you prefer. I’m not assuming anyone has “copied” anyone else.

So, to sum up. I think as soon as I’ll have a chance, I’ll try a Chicago Style, even if chances are that a New York Style might be more in my comfort zone.
But I’d bet that Chicago is going to be a surprise more than New York to me, in the good or in the bad.