The best meal you've ever had

Yes, another food topic.

Yesterday my wife asked me what is the best food I’ve ever had. The meal I liked the most. Not my favorite dish, but an actual meal I had that I still remember as the best of my life.

It’s a pretty difficult question, because even if my favorite food is pizza, and I ate very good pizzas, I don’t think I’ve ever had a pizza that made me forget everything after the first bite. I think it depends on how hungry you were, what were your body’s needs, if the mood was right. That’s why I’m curious about you.

For me, I think it was a hamburger with bacon I ate at a restaurant in Roma Termini station in 2002. I remember a friend of mine told me “if you’re ever looking for lunch in Rome near Termini, go there and order a bacon burger”, and so one time I did. After the first bite, all senses were blank, everything was flavor. That burger stuck so strong in my mind that I hoped to eat there again for years and years. I never could.

3 Likes

I love food :-).

And yes, it is a difficult question indeed. I had a few meals that stick out, because of the circumstances surrounding them (like in the Restaurant on top of the Space Needle, Seattle; or on my wedding day), though if this is all about the food itself, one of the very best meals I remember were Spaghetti in white wine with sun-dried tomatoes, shrimp and rucola. It’s from a recipe found in Everyday Pasta (p. 200), and it was the first time I made that (plenty of other good recipes in there, btw!).

To this day, I made the same dish about a dozen times at least, but never did I manage to recreate the taste it had that very first time. I suspect it greatly depends on the wine, and unfortunately I don’t have the slightest clue which one I had around that very first time.

1 Like

I think with the Big King XXL of Burger King, food has reached its maximum level and can’t be improved in any way.

My mom always makes the best meal for me!:grinning:

1 Like

That is very difficult to answer.

1 Like

Or the grandparents. :slight_smile: We had an older relative that was able to bake the best cookies in the world. (Fortunately we have preserved the recipes. :wink: )

@Guga: Allowed are only meals, not desserts?

2 Likes

Most of the time the next meal is the best meal…

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!11
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

The problem is, everything they cooked was delicious (save the spinach), so it would be impossible to answer @Guga’s actual question. I’d commit major crimes to get my hand on my granny’s Savoy cabbage recipe.

2 Likes

This is such a difficult question that I’ve not been able to answer it yet…

Just thought I’d come on here to pointlessly say that.

4 Likes

can you describe your meal?
It would be interesting for us to know about what is a good meal in India.

2 Likes

Hyderabadi Biriyani, Bisibele bath with Chips and Pav Bhaji. Well I am a vegetarian so I don’t eat chicken… Etc…

4 Likes

Do you have some pictures to show us?

3 Likes

That sounds really intriguing… I like the sound too. Please tell us more (maybe with pics).

2 Likes

Hyderabadi Biriyani
hyderabadi-veg-biryani-2
Bisi bele bath
bisi%20bele%20bhaat
Pav Bhaji
pav%20bhaji

7 Likes

Everything is allowed, but again, I’m not asking for a dish, I’m asking for an event :smiley: the one time you ate something that was the best meal you’ve ever had.

1 Like

God I love Indian food :drooling_face: I can’t go a week without some.

I’ve had Hyderabadi chicken but not a Hyderabadi biryani.

What’s in a pav bhaji?

2 Likes

I can imagine you have an abundance of indian restaurants in england. We only got more of those in recent years. I only remember existing one near us in my childhood. And it´s still there.

2 Likes

A pav Bhaji is a chat… Famous in Mahrashtra… it’s very tasty.

1 Like

Yeah, there are loads here. There never used to be though - according to my mum, Indian and Chinese restaurants and takeaways only became a common thing in about in the early 90s or so.

Yum, it looks delicious.

2 Likes

One would think they´d be colonial remnants. But maybe they were opened by green card students in need to support themselves.

2 Likes