Strange food you should really give a try

Yeah, but I guess we’ll never see a Twix Black, because of the outrage that would cause :frowning:.

Do so many people dislike dark chocolate? :thinking: I can sorta relate to that!

If there should be a racism problem just put Sam Jackson on it saying something like “I´m a bad Mothertwixer” and everyone will love it!

1 Like

Do people feed their kids shit like this in Europe? I’m guessing no.

At least not in such magnitude. For some reason this sugary stuff seems to be super popular in USA.

You guess right. I know Chocula from the simpson. Never seen the others.

No. You can’t even buy that stuff here.
The cereals here are made of actual rice/wheat and have some honey/sugar/chocolate added in worst case.
Or oatmeal.

Don’t kids in the US wonder why Dracula is missing his fangs? Or why some of the other characters barely have any teeth left? I’m also guessing no. :smile:

1 Like

I don´t think any General Mills products make it over here. But we got an abundace of Kellog´s and Nestlé products here.

1 Like

I doubt that’s any different for the products pictured, unless you mean they might have HFCS instead of sugar (or just even more sugar).

Btw, I couldn’t help but notice this mummy’s a bit overweight:

(But anyway, note how it says “frosted cereal”, i.e., cereal coated in sugar.)

1 Like

That’s the best kind :slight_smile:.

We’ve currently got a package of organic spelt flakes at home, and they taste like they’re cut out of cardboard. In their case, I doubt that a sugar coating would improve things much. But if we stay at a hotel, I’ll always help myself to the frosted ones.

Back when I was in the U.S., I had the impression that corn syrup had replaced sugar in a lot of processed food (and drinks) across the board. Not sure if they have dialled that back a bit these days, though. It’s been over 10 years now.

Not with a guy in the white house who feeds a football team 300 hamburgers…sorry I mean hamberders, of course!

2 Likes

I also couldn’t help but notice these all have marshmallows.
And look like dried catfood.

Not a good way to learn kids to appreciate real (as in non-artificial and possibly healthier) food.

2 Likes

Yeah, but the marshmallows are shaped like bats!

1 Like

Oh yeah, corn syrup is in everything. You can buy processed food with real sugar if you spend a little more. You can get Coca Cola with real cane sugar from Mexican grocery stores. It’s hard to find. but everyone thinks the mexicola tastes better.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I ate a piece of a kangaroo today. Not strange for anyone from down under, but new for me. I liked the taste, and also the nutrition facts.

2 Likes

Oh, how much I like to resuscitate old threads!

All this speaking about “Chicago style” and “New York style” pizza tingled my curiosity.

So I made a quick and shallow research, just to understand what those two styles are supposed to be. And…

Oh, no no no. I’ve read the ingredients. I’ve seen the pictures. This is definitely pizza, to me (or an attempt to, if it would taste bad :smiling_imp:)
I mean, the origin of the ingredients might be different, but -as far as I understand- the recipe and the techniques involved are pretty much the same than in italian pizza.
So, I can say “New York style pizza” is 100% pizza, to me. But so, why claiming it is an american specialty?

Once I spoke to an indian guy from Jaipur who told me that Milan, Italy was known among his compatriot friends living in Italy because of its very good Baingan Bharta. I’m happy about that. I would not say it can be considered an italian specialty, though.

Back to New York style pizza, as far as I can understand it shouldn’t be “something special that I can find there and not at home”, but simply a pizza (italian food), made by american chefs with american ingredients. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

“Chicago style” is another matter. I actually was very tingled by it. I saw the pictures. It doesn’t look like anything I know, maybe it has some resemblance with a pie, a “torta salata”, or maybe a “quiche”.
Ok, it looks to me like something typical, interesting and new for me. And enough “strange” to deserve a mention in this thread.
And it is definitely 100% american. But… Why call it pizza?

Come on, I am a great chef from Chicago, I invent a new great dish that gets famous, and I call it with a name of a specialty from another country? Some originality would add value to the dish, in my opinion.

Many countries share very different specialties which are based on the same concept.
But as far as I remember Mexican and American people call theirs “chili con carne” and not “Tex-Mex style Gulash”. French people say “ratatouille” and not “Caponata french style”. Italians say “Spaghetti”, and not “Noodles Italian style”.

Please, do note that all of the above examples are just for fun and can be read backwards, if you prefer. I’m not assuming anyone has “copied” anyone else.

So, to sum up. I think as soon as I’ll have a chance, I’ll try a Chicago Style, even if chances are that a New York Style might be more in my comfort zone.
But I’d bet that Chicago is going to be a surprise more than New York to me, in the good or in the bad.

When I look at pictures of pizza in Europe (or when I eat “margherita pizza” here in the States, which looks similar), I want there to be more cheese. I don’t want a few chunks of cheese here and there; I want a layer of it! I want each bite to have bread, tomato sauce, and cheese in it - not for most bites to be just bread and tomato sauce. I want it as a homogenous mix, to stretch and break off with my bite! :smiley:

Doesn’t that distinguish New York from Italian pizza?

Errr… no.

Usually pizza in Italy is just as you describe it, with that uniform layer you mention. Anyway, some chefs (especially in Neapolitan style) use less mozzarella. If you don’t wanna risk to have less cheese than you expect you can always ask for “doppia mozzarella” (quite a common request). I always asked for it when I was younger, now I generally prefer a more balanced pizza in order to appreciate more the other ingredients.
Maybe the pizza with the “just few chunks” you are referring to is pizza made with buffalo mozzarella.
With this kind of cheese the pizzaiolo adds cheese in the last minutes, because it doesn’t have to melt completely, in order to avoid the release of water and to lose its typical flavour.

Just to make myself clear…

Pizza with mozzarella di bufala:

Standard italian pizza (Roman style for precision’s sake):
images

But if you like lots of cheese on top of your pizza you might appreciate pizza al trancio (Milan style):

But trust me, the quality of the mozzarella is more important than the amount of it. A double layer of bad cheese can be a nightmare of a pizza.

2 Likes

Indeed?! The top image is what Google shows me when I search for “Italian pizza”. The bottom two - particularly the bottom Milan style, is more my game.

EDIT: “My game” meaning thick crust.

Just choose “Italy” on your VPN prior to search. :grinning:

Or fly over here and try. If you don’t know the taste of a mozzarella made with buffalo milk, you might change your mind just as like I did :wink:

(I must admit it is quite difficult to obtain really good tasting buffalo mozzarellas outside the neighborhood of Naples…In Milan I usually stick to plain mozzarella)

EDIT:
Oh, I almost forgot “Ema Style Pizza”