Strange food you should really give a try

In a local ice cream shop (here in Italy), you can find a peas-flavored gelato (its color is light green). But even a Smurf-flavored one (light blue).
The first one has a mint taste, the second one … undefined! :franklin:

Somewhere in Essen (big town in Germany) there is (or was?) an ice cream shop who is selling black ice cream with real coal. Never taste it but it seemed to have a lot of customers. :slight_smile: Ah … found a newspaper article, unfortunately in German but with a video:

Achja, der Ruhrpott…I like their sense of humor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking of things that aren’t sold anywhere else, my wife and I are kinda hooked on Rivella.

What’s that? A carbonated beverage with… whey. Really. It’s basically the most Swiss beverage ever, and it’s sold only here. It seems that the idea to have a soft drink based on milk serum doesn’t sound attractive to the rest of Europe. That’s why we usually get Italian guests to taste it before we tell what’s the basic ingredient.

I can’t even describe the taste, but it’s pretty refreshing.

1 Like

You can buy whey in Germany as a beverage too. :slight_smile: (At least in my city…)

I’ve met Durian many times during my travels in south-east Asia but, quite strangely, I’ve never been hit by its smell, even if I knew about it. The most remarkable thing I remember about durian is that in Singapore iti is forbidden to carry it on mass transport, or into public buildings.

Well, I know that cheese. And I find it quite strange, indeed.
I tried it in Cheese 2015, together with this Romanian one:

I was with my wife, we like strong cheeses, but I have to admit these two ones were too much for us.
Anyway, I definitely approve the fruit mustard with the norwegian one at your Christmas table!
For many reasons:

1. It is strong enough not to be coveref by the strong mustard flavour
  2. It is strong enough to be pleasantly sweetened by the sweetish taste of mostarda
  3. Mostarda is traditionally a Christmas time food

So, let me know the results of your experiments, and don’t forget to post a pic of the plate!

This is not the first time I hear of this… I’ve encountered something like that in Kanazawa, Japan.

EDIT: I asked my wife, she swears I even took it. But I can’t recall it’s flavour…

Well, why not?
After all, we have gorgonzola ice-cream…

Gorgonzola is comestible… does the coal is edible too?!

Yes, why not? Haven’t you bought charcoal tablets in your life? :wink:

/edit: The ice contains only a small amount of coal, so you don’t lick on a cold piece of coal… :wink:

1 Like

In some diners in Germany you can order Currywurst (warning: that dish doesn’t look -hm- delicious :wink: ) “spiced” with real gold.

Don’t tell it to Scrooge McDuck, then!

1 Like

One of Gualtiero Marchesi’s recipes is risotto with saffron and gold foil. The foil is edible.

Though, it has no taste and it remains undigested. I would rather use gold foil for artworks, jewellery or technical products.

I don’t know, I’ve never eaten it

Ooh, that one looks interesting. It looks a bit parmesan-like.

It sounds like a good partnership - if I manage to get hold of some fruit mustard I will let you know the results!

That made me think of Goldschlager. I remember a rumour went round that the little pieces of gold made tiny cuts in your throat as it went down, which allowed the alcohol to soak in.

I never heard of it before, I might try it.

It would make the perfect drink for Sherman:

Be careful with this tactic, it would literally kill a friend of mine who is allergic to milk proteins.

Yes. Charcoal is also used in “black bread”:

In case of a hungry stove, I’d say.
Honestly, I would prefer german Schwarzbrot, which literally means “black bread” but actually is brown bread. However it’s charcoal-free.

So, he´s literally dead now? :frowning:

I must say that when I say “Italian guests” I mean “friends or family members that come to stay for a couple of days in our apartment”, so it just takes the first breakfast to know whether they can drink milk or not :smiley: