Switch EU Top 10 Downloads for September - TWP #9

Still waiting for their anime sprites to be added.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

Ron,

Here’s a little advice for future projects, since Germany is such an important market:

I was praising TP in our German online guild. And while there were many Monkey Island enthusiasts interested in your current title, they had trouble remembering the name “Thimbleweed”…

Starting the game with a “th” makes it hard for some Germans to even pronounce and thus talk about the game. It is not a big issue for English speakers. But if a person can’t remember the exact name correctly and can’t google it with the intention to buy it, you have a problem.

2 Likes

We have solved by misspelling the name. I have heard of many children/teens/adults pronunce “T” instead of “TH”. That’s fine.

1 Like

They just need to remember Ron Gilbert, google will do the rest :slight_smile:

But I remember similar things reagrding the name. Told it a lot of my old and new friends, non could remember it´s name after a week or two.
I think this is more because Thimbleweed isn´t a common english word in Germany. Even you you speak english close to perfect, it´s possible you never heard that word.
I didn´t hear that before too and had to look what it is.

But I really like it… It matches the game perfectly.
I don´t see a problem with “th” or the actual name. The ones that where interested asked later me about, “hey what was the name again?”

Btw. I had three best friends from back then, that played the LA adventures together with me.
I don´t see them often today, once every few years. But all of them already had the game when I recently saw them and told them about it.

And what is it? :slight_smile: I haven’t found that word in my English dictionaries, only “Thimble” and “Weed”. :wink:

I like the name “Thimbleweed Park” a lot, but I fear that I have to agree with @Systemshutdownr: The name is more difficult to remember. In a lot of cases TWP was just “the new game by Ron Gilbert”.

1 Like

Google thimbleberry and you will find your way :slight_smile:
or Rubus parviflorus

But you are right, for the word combination thimble-weed there is no direct translation. None that I could find.

Edit: I first thought about Fingerhut/Fingerhutkraut, but that has no berries and is poisonous. But it is used as medical herb to heal the nervous system. So maybe it´s that too.

Yeah, I found that too. :slight_smile:

But Thimbleweed seems to be a fictitious English word, created by some developers of this weird adventure game. :wink:

Remember that you can in German easily slam different words together, so that the result forms a new valid word that has actually a meaning. :slight_smile: (I just say: Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän. :wink: ) I don’t know how this works in English and if Thimbleweed could actually be translated.

btw: If I ask Google "“what is a thimbleweed” I get this picture as a result (beside the TWP website):

1 Like

My wife and some friends kept referring to “Tumbleweed Park,” which is easier to pronounce and remember. I also couldn’t remember the name at the beginning of the project. “Thimbleweed” is a made up word that is hard to keep in mind.

However, I just kept calling referring to “that adventure game in Kickstarter…”

Apparently, not in Germany. * :laughing:

-dZ.

* (Just kidding!)

1 Like

As for Europe and Germany it’s an interesting case. While especially in NA adventures declined with the rise of 3D consoles, in Europe they survived. I think in part people are more conservative in terms of gaming. And especially Germany has a well established market, where the people have money to buy the games.

In the beginning of 2000s when adventure games were virtually dead world-wide some companies in Europe still produced adventure games. For example Future Games with Black Mirror and Nibiru. Animation Arts with Secret Files: Tunguska and Lost Horizon. Deck13 with Ankh and Jack Keane. Daedalic with Edna, Whispered World, later Deponia and many more adventure games. Microids with Syberia. Frogware with all the Sherlock Holmes adventures. Funcom with The Longest Journey. Pendulo Studios with Runaway. And many more…

If you look especially to Germany you can see the big fan base that produced Zak McKracken: Between Time And Space and Broken Sword 2.5.

I think that one of the screts of success was mostly sticking to 2D or 2.5D with 3D figures but 2D interface and telling good stories and not trying to switch to 3D and action adventure part.

2 Likes

Sose must be se same Germans who pronounce ‘the’ as ‘se’ I guess :slight_smile:

I’ll take this post of yours as the post you announced about sales. Sounds fair.
Really curious about the Android sales in one month.

I just scrolled through the reviews at Google Play store. Half of them are in German. :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I think they should rename it Zimbleweed Park to honor the german fans.

3 Likes

3 Likes

“Thimbleweed” is not an invented word. It’s the name of a flower:

2 Likes

I used to think Thimbleweed was that stuff that grows (in the foreground) on the path near the factory.

As far as I understand, there were two reasons for the title:

1. The likelihood of another existing IP by that title was low.
  2. It gets people talking, as shown above.

I hadn’t realised it was the name of a plant. I’d assumed they’d chosen two random words that worked well together to make a unique, funny and lyrical new one, which is often how these things come about. It rolls nicely off the tongue. (Unless you’re German apparently.)

Maybe the authors did just that and they weren’t aware that the word already existed.

Months ago, I also assumed that it was something invented until I saw photos of flowers during a search on Deviantart.

Could have gone full Sierra and called it “Paranormal Detective Quest”…

Translates pretty nicely into “Paranormale Detektiv-Quest”