Telltale in Trouble

Point & Click adventures never were about reading lots of text, it was about good writing and providing the right amount of text (information) for what’s needed, to tell a story, interact and explore a world. If you’re after the best stories and lots of text, you should read books instead. Whilst not being the biggest market today, it still could be a valid one, going up to a few millions if everything comes together.

2 Likes

Then again, there was a time before point & click adventures, especially text adventures. Text is all you get to see in those, obviously.

Yep but these aren’t the games most of us here (at least me) are interested in the most.

A fairy offers you a wish for an awesome game and you can choose between:

a) A new point & click adventure (from Ron Gilbert).
b) A new text adventure (from Steve Meretzky).

I’m pretty confident what the majority here will prefer.

Nick Bounty from Mark Darin.

I would and I have.

Me too

Me too

As we already discussed the death of adventure games to death elsewhere, I will add no further comment. But given how far the late Telltale games had evolved from classic point & click adventures, I would not attribute their demise to the death of the genre.

I don’t need to discuss this too, I just revealed the quintessence.

TTG weren’t a part of the downfall of the golden era but they had an influence on adventures trying to mimic their success and thereby altering game design.

P’n’C adventures vary a lot, some even having no dialog at all and others (like Runaway series) are very text/dialog heavy.

Me too. It’s a nice game.

Especially since long before TTG was founded this genre was already proclaimed “dead”.
TTG were the ones making new P’n’C adventure games again, and this was great. (Then they removed P’n’C which was OK for me; and then they switched to some other kind of adventure games.)

In my opinion, this statement applies even more to Daedalic. Aside from the P’n’C elements, the earlier TTG games were very similar to the GrimE games as well, which are not P’n’C games - whereas the earlier adventure games by Daedalic were pure P’n’C games.

1 Like

My impression is that their games have received fairly little attention outside of Germany. In my view, they made some of the best P&C adventures of the last decade.

The 3D engine and adjusted control scheme that comes with it aside, I’d still classify the GrimE and early TTG games as “classic” P&C adventures, though. All the mechanics are there, and for me that defines those types of games more than the interface or the visuals.

1 Like

@txt
I’m looking forward to an AI which is able to generate comic strips by various retired cartoonists.

I mean, come on.

Yes. From my point of view adventure games were never dead anyway.
(TTG started much earlier though. Sadly even Daedalic now seems to move into another direction than I’d prefer.)

GrimE based games were definitely P’n’C-like games, but of course without P’n’C (back then that is).
BUT the early TTG games were indeed P’n’C. I think with Tales of Monkey Island they changed it to direct control.

1 Like

Besides TTG are 3D while Daedalic is not (with the exception of 1954 Alcatraz), both have very similar controlls, which are P’n’C.

It is playable with mouse only nevertheless. The only difference is, that you move by dragging the mouse instead of just clicking anywhere. Also, you still walk to hotspots automatically.
It is still a P’n’C adventure. I.e. you still point to hotspots and click on it.
And that kind of walking controls, while certainly not optimal, were still far better then the awkward controls of GrimmE.

Then it’s definitely P’n’C. I think BTTF and Sam&Max: The Devil’s Playhouse did use direct control only so Tales of Monkey Island was the one in-between allowing mixed controls.

If nicely integrated and depending on the game and how you play it, direct control can be better than point&click. Most adventures also don’t go the extra mile, like Thimbleweed Park did (their direct control offered room for improvements though) but instead torture you with bad point&click controls (like: no double click or holding down the lmb for walking longer distances, instead you must click multiple times etc.)

Daedalic’s problems are due to the fact, that you can’t run a company of this size with only maybe 4-5 good products in your portfolio throughout all those years. You can delay consequences by lowering the costs, utalizing more than just one business segment, doing corporations and looking for multiple money sources but in the end, if you don’t create good products, which people also buy, you likely run out of business.

The Whispering Worlds 2 is a 3D game (different look due to the camera projection but still 3D). It looks good but the game is too shallow, there’s a lack of puzzles, boring story, too many passive moments. And the same is true for The Pillars of the Earth. Episodic content with TTG’s multiple choice design, based on some IP, no one in the video games world cares about. Adventure content for adults is great but this doesn’t mean that you want to waste your time with depressing monks in boring scenes. State of Mind could have been a good game with more funds, more gameplay, less QTEs, and a more grown up story.

2 Likes

I always prefer point & click. Maybe I am too lazy (or too old-fogyish) to enjoy direct control. There have been a few games (e.g. the GrimE and TTG games) which I played albeit they had to be played with direct control, but I would have enjoyed them more, if they had been classic point & click games. For this reason, I welcome the point & click mode in Grim Fandango Remastered.

Obviously they weren’t dead. Heck, some of my favorites came out in the early 2000s. (E.g., TLJ, Syberia & Samorost.) But were there any non-European adventure games of note from ~2000-2004 that weren’t just weak franchise tie-ins like CSI or Nancy Drew? Perhaps it’s a US-centric claim.

I pretty much agree, and I’m pretty certain that we’ll never see another true P&C adventure game from Daedalic.

For me, my biggest hope right now resides with the folk at Inkle, and their Ink engine that’s used by quite a few upcoming narrative games from other companies too. While its roots are firmly in choose your own adventure territory, and as such anything created with it is relatively light on puzzle content, it lends itself to branching stories with lots of choices. While being a far cry from traditional P&C adventures, I’m pretty sure I’ll get my story fix from these kind of games. And a game like Heaven’s Vault with its language translation mechanics looks pretty puzzle-y too.

Even the guys from Wadjet Eye Games have an Ink-powered project on Kickstarter right now,
Nighthawks (though it’s going to be a really close call :frowning:).

@BigRedButton
It felt nice (like, it was almost there) in Thimbleweed Park. I enjoyed switching between the input methods and the controller felt better after the Arcade.

@kaiman
So far, inkle doesn’t make stuff I’m interested in.

Well, good luck to Mr. Gilbert (8% sounds doable) but why would ‘modern’ Vampires dress these ways?

1 Like

It seems like also the skeleton crew have been let go.