Telltale in Trouble

According to Telltales FAQ they have removed DRM on their “classic” titles: “My game asks me to enter an unlock code when I launch it”

This could explain why many of my recent downloads actually have lower version numbers than those downloads from back then (maybe they have already made two builds back then).

Somebody listed the DRM-free games in this forum post.

The same person also claims that backing up installed games seems to be possible which won’t require later online activation.

2 Likes

It doesn’t work for the Mac. The important part is: “… most of these games are now DRM-free on PC …”

Jennifer, a TTG forum moderator, collected some information about their games and posted it on mixnmojo:

It doesn’t say anything about Mac versions though:

That’s a bummer. Have you tried it though or is this in reference to this sentence?

I gave it a couple of tries (games are downloadable but not DRM free, show the issues I’ve described before, and the receipt data isn’t available anymore).

Adventure game companies have historically never lasted long unfortunately. That’s the same for LucasArts that all but killed off the adventure-games by the 00’s.

But that said after Tales of Monkey Island I never had that much confidence in the company speaking personally. The game was great, I loved it, but all the technical issues never went addressed - chapter 2 is all but unplayable technically (the controls don’t work for shit) and the audio is horrendous. Worse than the CMI audio by a LOT. You can’t run a company where you make a product and then don’t fix the technical problems, if you do well customers know not to trust you.

Apart from some words like “game”, “story” and “adventure”, this just reads like any generic management BS…
1 year and 1 week later, look what’s left of all those intentions, promises,…

Adventures ‘died’ because they didn’t evolve in the aspects which matter for adventures (like puzzles, story, characters [and music]). More precisely, they couldn’t hold their own standards whilst other genres took off. Soon after GF, probably the last from the golden era, was released, you could play games like Half Life or System Shock 2. You happily would return to games like The Dig or Sam & Max but certainly not to Escape from Monkey Island. From there on it was a vicious circle, were quality adventures were a rare exception. On the other side you had games like Age of Mythology or Half Life 2.

In the same year (2004) TTG was founded and lasted for almost (October) 14 years.

With no evidence whatsoever :slight_smile: I’ll reiterate my thesis that adventure games “died” (so to speak) because there are quite a few people that like to solve puzzles, and quite a few people who like to read good stories (with lots of text), but the intersection of these people is very small.

4 Likes

I can proudly state that I’m in that intersection!

Point & Click adventures never were about reading lots of text, it was about good writing and providing the right amount of text (information) for what’s needed, to tell a story, interact and explore a world. If you’re after the best stories and lots of text, you should read books instead. Whilst not being the biggest market today, it still could be a valid one, going up to a few millions if everything comes together.

2 Likes

Then again, there was a time before point & click adventures, especially text adventures. Text is all you get to see in those, obviously.

Yep but these aren’t the games most of us here (at least me) are interested in the most.

A fairy offers you a wish for an awesome game and you can choose between:

a) A new point & click adventure (from Ron Gilbert).
b) A new text adventure (from Steve Meretzky).

I’m pretty confident what the majority here will prefer.

Nick Bounty from Mark Darin.

I would and I have.

Me too

Me too

As we already discussed the death of adventure games to death elsewhere, I will add no further comment. But given how far the late Telltale games had evolved from classic point & click adventures, I would not attribute their demise to the death of the genre.

I don’t need to discuss this too, I just revealed the quintessence.

TTG weren’t a part of the downfall of the golden era but they had an influence on adventures trying to mimic their success and thereby altering game design.

P’n’C adventures vary a lot, some even having no dialog at all and others (like Runaway series) are very text/dialog heavy.

Me too. It’s a nice game.

Especially since long before TTG was founded this genre was already proclaimed “dead”.
TTG were the ones making new P’n’C adventure games again, and this was great. (Then they removed P’n’C which was OK for me; and then they switched to some other kind of adventure games.)

In my opinion, this statement applies even more to Daedalic. Aside from the P’n’C elements, the earlier TTG games were very similar to the GrimE games as well, which are not P’n’C games - whereas the earlier adventure games by Daedalic were pure P’n’C games.

1 Like

My impression is that their games have received fairly little attention outside of Germany. In my view, they made some of the best P&C adventures of the last decade.

The 3D engine and adjusted control scheme that comes with it aside, I’d still classify the GrimE and early TTG games as “classic” P&C adventures, though. All the mechanics are there, and for me that defines those types of games more than the interface or the visuals.

1 Like

@txt
I’m looking forward to an AI which is able to generate comic strips by various retired cartoonists.

I mean, come on.