Telltale in Trouble

Yes. From my point of view adventure games were never dead anyway.
(TTG started much earlier though. Sadly even Daedalic now seems to move into another direction than I’d prefer.)

GrimE based games were definitely P’n’C-like games, but of course without P’n’C (back then that is).
BUT the early TTG games were indeed P’n’C. I think with Tales of Monkey Island they changed it to direct control.

1 Like

Besides TTG are 3D while Daedalic is not (with the exception of 1954 Alcatraz), both have very similar controlls, which are P’n’C.

It is playable with mouse only nevertheless. The only difference is, that you move by dragging the mouse instead of just clicking anywhere. Also, you still walk to hotspots automatically.
It is still a P’n’C adventure. I.e. you still point to hotspots and click on it.
And that kind of walking controls, while certainly not optimal, were still far better then the awkward controls of GrimmE.

Then it’s definitely P’n’C. I think BTTF and Sam&Max: The Devil’s Playhouse did use direct control only so Tales of Monkey Island was the one in-between allowing mixed controls.

If nicely integrated and depending on the game and how you play it, direct control can be better than point&click. Most adventures also don’t go the extra mile, like Thimbleweed Park did (their direct control offered room for improvements though) but instead torture you with bad point&click controls (like: no double click or holding down the lmb for walking longer distances, instead you must click multiple times etc.)

Daedalic’s problems are due to the fact, that you can’t run a company of this size with only maybe 4-5 good products in your portfolio throughout all those years. You can delay consequences by lowering the costs, utalizing more than just one business segment, doing corporations and looking for multiple money sources but in the end, if you don’t create good products, which people also buy, you likely run out of business.

The Whispering Worlds 2 is a 3D game (different look due to the camera projection but still 3D). It looks good but the game is too shallow, there’s a lack of puzzles, boring story, too many passive moments. And the same is true for The Pillars of the Earth. Episodic content with TTG’s multiple choice design, based on some IP, no one in the video games world cares about. Adventure content for adults is great but this doesn’t mean that you want to waste your time with depressing monks in boring scenes. State of Mind could have been a good game with more funds, more gameplay, less QTEs, and a more grown up story.

2 Likes

I always prefer point & click. Maybe I am too lazy (or too old-fogyish) to enjoy direct control. There have been a few games (e.g. the GrimE and TTG games) which I played albeit they had to be played with direct control, but I would have enjoyed them more, if they had been classic point & click games. For this reason, I welcome the point & click mode in Grim Fandango Remastered.

Obviously they weren’t dead. Heck, some of my favorites came out in the early 2000s. (E.g., TLJ, Syberia & Samorost.) But were there any non-European adventure games of note from ~2000-2004 that weren’t just weak franchise tie-ins like CSI or Nancy Drew? Perhaps it’s a US-centric claim.

I pretty much agree, and I’m pretty certain that we’ll never see another true P&C adventure game from Daedalic.

For me, my biggest hope right now resides with the folk at Inkle, and their Ink engine that’s used by quite a few upcoming narrative games from other companies too. While its roots are firmly in choose your own adventure territory, and as such anything created with it is relatively light on puzzle content, it lends itself to branching stories with lots of choices. While being a far cry from traditional P&C adventures, I’m pretty sure I’ll get my story fix from these kind of games. And a game like Heaven’s Vault with its language translation mechanics looks pretty puzzle-y too.

Even the guys from Wadjet Eye Games have an Ink-powered project on Kickstarter right now,
Nighthawks (though it’s going to be a really close call :frowning:).

@BigRedButton
It felt nice (like, it was almost there) in Thimbleweed Park. I enjoyed switching between the input methods and the controller felt better after the Arcade.

@kaiman
So far, inkle doesn’t make stuff I’m interested in.

Well, good luck to Mr. Gilbert (8% sounds doable) but why would ‘modern’ Vampires dress these ways?

1 Like

It seems like also the skeleton crew have been let go.

The walking mechanics are exactly the same in all 3 of those. Ie. you can move my dragging the mouse or by clicking on a hotspot. Why they removed the clicking anywhere walking eludes me. It woudn’t have interfered with direct controls at all.
Slight differences are there in other regards. For instance, Sam & Max uses pie menus.

And pie menus are a good thing, imho. Ie. suitable for mouse, for game controllers and for touch screens equally. I’m surprised they aren’t used more often.

They tried to explain it back then to the community but it wasn’t particularly plausible.

Ron really doesn’t like this sort of thing for some reason.
I don’t mind as long they typically aren’t context sensitive (e.g. the item up-left should be always “pick up” etc.). If they are context sensitive then I hate them.

Agreed. Pie menus are more than fine on mouse/keyboard and most excellent with controllers. But if and only if they don’t randomly shift things around. I’ll add that they should not require two clicks, only allow for it. Mouse button down and drag, let go. Not click, move, click.

Oh how I hated Office 2000’s “feature” of hiding menu entries you didn’t use much at random.

a. Where the @#$#@ did feature X go.
b. Every means of interaction other than Alt+X, x is suddenly horrifically broken.

To attract more backers? Or because Vampires are required to wear baroque attire by conventions. (Not that I’m an expert on these matters … I read The Little Vampire by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg and am a bit of a fan of Polanski’s Dance of the Vampires, and at least in the film they dressed in similar ways)

Maybe, there is a good reasoning.

You could expect a modern Vampire to blend with the rest. taking a look at the Times Square Not this many Gothic/Coz-Player dressed like people walking around, today.

I liked Let The Right One In.

What a horrible feature, BUT at least it could be easily disabled.
When they changed menus to ribbons (Office 2007) every power user had to learn again where to find anything…

I wonder if it paid off. I personally still prefer compact toolbars over those big ribbons, e.g. in TortoiseMerge you can switch between those:

Ribbon:

Toolbar:

Yeah, it wasn’t the worst in that sense. I think Office XP introduced the quick way to disable all the @#$@#$ autocorrect @#$@#. On the one hand a great feature, on the other hand why was all that annoying @#$@# ever put in at all?

The ribbons are okay if you hide them completely most of the time.Of course they could’ve easily just added that feature to the traditional toolbars.

Outlook is fine, but I’d prefer to use Calc & Writer over Excel & Word tbh. Especially Excel is annoying with its weird single-process pretends-to-be-SDI but is MDI interface.[1] But of course I’m not going to risk some weird incompatibilty messing up things at work.

[1] Like, who came up with the concept of application-wide undo?!? Or not showing which cell is focused when the application isn’t in the foreground… that last lovely “feature” wasn’t even in Excel until probably the '07 version.

I use Office at work only. Outlook is doing its job. Sometimes I have to use Excel and Access. I haven’t really touched Winword since school.

And no, I won’t fix your computer problems: :wink:

1 Like

A nicely exaggerated story I’m sure. :wink:

(can’t read it; paywall)

Skybound Games are going to complete The Walking Dead series:

This sounds nice for those, who did not ask for a refund already.

If you browse through a couple of posts from the devs, who worked on the later stuff, then there is no connectivity and a suspicion that they would have never created content, I would have enjoyed. Like, there is just such a huge gap between The Dark Knight and the shallow out-of-tune Batman they offered.

The embedded note about Scott Wilson’s death felt pretty much in context with the IP.

The question remains: Who will fix those old DRM cursed builds?