Telltale in Trouble

OK, now try logging in again.

It definitely had its moments, but it wasnā€™t The Wolf Among Us or anything. Itā€™s very hard to recommend for over ā‚¬ 20 when you could get Dreamfall Chapters for the same price and Oxenfree for ā‚¬ 5 (!), both of which are easily twice as good in my book.

(Or Shadow Tactics for ā‚¬ 15, Mark of the Ninja for ā‚¬ 10, etc.)

Edit: at the same time, I paid ā‚¬ 11.50 for Guardians and itā€™s not like I feel I wasted my money. :wink:

1 Like

@Nor_Treblig Oh, and not unimportant ā€” Iā€™m not sure why I only thought of it now ā€” but there was a game breaking bug somewhere in the third episode. You could get around it by playing that part windowed or something. And yeah, they never fixed it.

Too bad its future is so uncertain.

Strange bug.

As far as I remember they had some lame Disc-In-Drive-DRM on the DVDs (create an image or get a No-Disc-In-Drive-patch).

This depends on if youā€™ve bought their interactive content as well. I did not, so Iā€™m part of the reason, why they went out of business with their unimaginative stuff.

While some of their DVD titles use SecuROM, they usually donā€™t require online activation. There was one exception, though, where they put the download version on the disc, which resulted in a shitstorm on their forums.

What do you mean by that? They sold video games, thus interactive content it is.

1 Like

Which was extremely nice from TTG, considering, that the DVDs (if they were ordered) went out to people, who owned the season pass already, you better trust your customers.

The obvious, their interactive movie like games, if that makes you feel better. In the future, I expect to be alarmed about spelling errors.

I just installed Back To The Future from the DVD and it runs without issues
(Also Tales of MI did, but I installed that years ago)

Oh man, with everything turned up to highest detail and so onā€¦ it succeeds in feeling like the movie and as if I am a kid again. I caught myself selecting the canon quotes in dialogue automatically, and also not to create a paradox in the time-space continuum.
(not too keen on the constant hints in the first scene - I hope thatā€™ll disappear once the ā€œtutorial partā€ is over.) Yes, I know how to play these kind of games AND I am familiar with the whole BTTF universe, thank you very much TellTale games)

2 Likes

Canā€™t remember this in BTTF. But I know in Sam&Max you could adjust hints in settings.

1 Like

Yes, you can adjust the hint level. I turned it all the way off (to the left- I assume that is off :grin: ) and still it is there, constantly reminding me of what I should do now. Itā€™s weird.
Or perhaps itā€™s a bug where it got mixed with one of the graphics settings that I turned all the way up.

Itā€™s a bit like TWP in that regard: no tutorial for the options. :slight_smile:

Noclip has released the documentary about Telltale Games and its demise:

Telltale: The Human Stories Behind The Games

2 Likes
1 Like

How good are the Sam & Max Telltale games?
Are they worth grabbing before they are pulled out from GOG.com?

I would think so. Those were still classic point and click adventures. I bought them when they were new, and I still play them once in a while.

2 Likes

If you like Sam & Max: Hit the Road and donā€™t rely on 2D pixel art to enjoy adventure games I can highly recommend them.

In the first season they havenā€™t included running yet which makes backtracking cumbersome but I liked all seasons. You can clearly see how they improved from season to season.

2 Likes

The Wolf Among Us is the best Telltale game.

I didnā€™t like the last season (or maybe it was just some of the later episodes in the last one) which was dumbed down. Seems like a foreshadow of what Telltale would do to adventure games. Before that, some of the episodes were brilliant. I was sceptical with the first one but they won me over, and you could see how they were improving. Graphics suck, especially now, but the voice acting is excellent and there are lots of clever ideas.

1 Like

The last season was a little bit different with those psychic powers (Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin reminds me of it), I liked it too. Graphically it was the most advanced one.

1 Like