The 2024 what are we playing thread

Played Kaptain Brawe.

Well, my memory wasn’t quite correct. The Kickstarter was for part 2. What I just played was part 1, which originally released in 2011. Though like a lot of 2D games, it doesn’t really show its age.

All in all, it’s a fairly short game, with 4 chapters set in 3 different locations. There aren’t a lot of rooms in each location, and not a lot of items and NPCs. I played in “Adventure mode”, and that felt casual. I wouldn’t want to try the actual casual mode. There are 3 playable characters, and portions of the game where you can switch between them at will, but they rarely interact with each other for the purpose of puzzle solving. Still, I was glad not being stuck as the Kaptain for the whole time.

He and his crew member come across a bit like Zapp Brannigan and Kif, which could have been fun, except what you do as the player and how the game portrays the character are pretty much at odds. There’s some fitting dialogue, but all the problem solving makes the Kaptain appear pretty kompetent after all. Bit of a missed opportunity here.

The thing I liked best was the voice acting. While not all the actors perform great, each character has a distinct accent, and at least with the English voices that felt quite fitting. Some of the writing was funny as well, but it wasn’t very consistent. Props for the robot named Rowboat.

All in all a game that doesn’t really live up to its full potential. In hindsight, it might have been more fulfilling to rewatch a couple episodes of Futurama instead.

2 Likes