The 2024 what are we playing thread

Not even to play Zak McKracken? :scream:

2 Likes

Beside ā€œThe Digā€, LucasArts hadnā€™t made a science fiction adventure game, right? :thinking:

DOTT has time travel to the future. Zak McKracken has Aliens and UFOs.

One could argue that the machines in Atlantis in Indy4 are some kind of science fiction.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never played Zak, mainly because Iā€™ve seen people talk of dead-ends, being able to run out of money, etc.

Then play it with a solution. The story is fun (as long as you like the ā€œoldā€ Lucasfilm games and their graphics style).

3 Likes

A solution for the travel that is, but I used modern savegames instead. (I.e., fly somewhere and if it doesnā€™t work out reload to before you did.)

The original also had savegames but I understand they were more laborious than instantaneous. :slight_smile:

I liked it better than Maniac Mansion as far as it being pre-Monkey Island goes. That oneā€™s more of an action game, which is kind of cool (since it makes the house feel more alive) but also quite annoying because you have to remember to pause the game and whatnot.

Also for controls I highly recommend using the left side of your keyboard for action select instead of mousing over, which is tedious. Also I bound my mouse scroll to U/J.

And finally, the C64 version has much better music and sound effects (and perhaps graphics) than the DOS/Japanese PC version over on GOG.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve tried playing Maniac Mansion a couple of times before, but wasnā€™t enjoying it enough to finish it, though it was cool to just get the idea of what it was like.
I also havenā€™t played Last Crusade, maybe thatā€™s better to try before going further back to Zak.

2 Likes

Yes, play Indy 3 first. It hasnā€™t dead ends AFIAK. (Well, you can die, but only in obvious situations.)

And regarding Maniac Mansion: I would recommend to play it with a solution too. Once you have played it once and know what can happen in the house, you can re-play it with two other kids. Oh, and even if you know what to do, you can try to see all different endings - thatā€™s fun too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was my first ever P&C adventure, and while it may seem a bit old-school nowadays, I think itā€™s well worth playing. Especially as it has (in theory) multiple ways to solve certain puzzles, although to me it always felt like there was only one obvious solution.

I believe the first place you can die are the catacombs. Iā€™d recommend taking a look inside the grail diary thatā€™s included in the box to avoid that one :slight_smile:.

From then on, every area with Nazis is potentially dangerous, but at least itā€™s possible to talk your way out or otherwise avoid them, once you know what you are doing. Saving often is helpful until you do. Or just master the fighting mini game.

Finally, there are the 3 deadly trials. But you watched the movie, right?

3 Likes

But that hasnā€™t to be the obvious solution for other players. :wink: When we played the game back then a friend of mine had made other decisions than I.

There are two important things, player should do: Consulting the diary during the game and do some exercises in the gymā€¦

It should be possible to solve the game without ā€œfightingā€ - but I never managed that. :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t think I ever managed either. Iā€™m pretty sure I could eventually avoid all fights in the castle (through dialogue, evasion, disguise, and a puzzle) and on board the Zeppelin, but the checkpoints were a different matter. I never accomplished some of the feats necessary to bypass them completely (if thatā€™s even possible) or to acquire the means to solve them all peacefully.

2 Likes

Gosh, I forgot I hadnā€™t played Last Crusade yet. The problem is I always get stuck at the beginning where you need a numpad for the boxing ring, which I always forget about so I end up trying to play it on a laptop without one. (Always meaning this has actually happened two or three times over the past decade.)

Edit: also in the meantime I learned of Munt, for Roland MT-32 emulation: Munt download | SourceForge.net
It should probably enhance the experience, unless ScummVM already has something similar built in?

2 Likes

Technically, you can die shortly before entering the catacombs: if you get the numbers wrong three times when breaking the floor plates, you get arrested by Italian authorities. :slight_smile:

Regarding dead ends, I consider the escape from Germany to be a dead end, if you donā€™t have the right items to pass all the border checks. Itā€™s not possible to fight every border guard, as the health does not recover between checks. Some guards can only be passed without fight if you have the right item on hand. So you might be stuck / soft-locked here.

The Zeplin as alternative route might also be soft-locked if you donā€™t have tickets / means to get them (i.e. not enough cash, and wasted all conversation options with the guy that needs to be distracted to steal some tickets). The fight against Mr. Olympics 1936 in the Zeplin entrance room is too hard to win, at least for me.

1 Like

Canā€™t you re-assign the needed keys? You should be able to create your own keymap in ScummVM.

Beside that, you donā€™t need to fight in the game. :wink:

It has, but you need the MT-32 ROMs. ScummVM is also able to send the MIDI data to a (software) synthesizer/MT-32 emulator.

AFAIR itā€™s not very likely that you have to fight every guard. In most cases you are able to fly far enough.

1 Like

Yes. And it has no flaws.

3 Likes

I mightā€™ve tried that and found it awkward without a real numpad. Or I didnā€™t even try because Iā€™ve experienced a laptop that had a built-in Fn+jkluio789 situation in the past. Same difference. :slight_smile:

But I want to (probably). Just not without a proper numpad.

1 Like

Drat, their ā€œThis Wikipedia article provides a comprehensive list of MT-32 compatible games, including which games work best with which device.ā€ links to an article that doesnā€™t exist.

You might need one of those:

What about this site?

I already have a much better one than that, although perhaps not the first or second time it happened. :wink: Not to mention I also have a proper keyboard; itā€™s just that I normally assume I can play these old undemanding games anytime anywhere.

I see, someone accidentally made a link to Wikipedia which should be to Vogons.

1 Like