The earworm thread in which I will be giving you earworms šŸ‘‚

Exactly.

But itĀ“s also true. Their sound became very different from Hysteria on, which I also love, but IĀ“m never sure how much it had to do with having to adapt.

1 Like

For those among us scratching their headsā€¦ Def Leppard. Their drummer lost an arm, but kept drumming.

2 Likes

:musical_note: Like ice in the sunshine ā€¦ :notes: :icecream::sunny:

I miss our old timey movie theaters. :frowning:

They all closed in the late 90s early 2000nds when the multiplex opened and now we have this and tiny art house theatres but nothing in between anymore.

1 Like

Here too. Gladly we have two, no, three old theaters build in the 50s and 60s, but they are only playing (very) special interest movies.

1 Like

I miss this place. Greatest movie theater everā€¦

Do you have (more) pictures from inside/the interior? Most old cinemas I know have a simple (and not so good looking) front but a very unique interior.

Iā€™m sorry. But its name reminds me of an earwormā€¦
:notes:Gloriaā€¦ manchi tu nellā€™ariaā€¦ :notes:

Unfortunatly not from itĀ“s movie theater days.

Here is another angle from the exterior:

It was bigger from the inside than it seemed from the outside. Built in the 1950s it ended itĀ“s run as a movie theater in around 2001.

It had this huge balcony that was more expensive(DM 15 in the latter days), but I never sat anywhere else. It was roundly shaped and had one of the biggest screens in town at the time.

1 Like

Just imagine this with seats and beautifully furnished. The screen was under this antique looking plate in the front and the round thing was the ceiling lights. I think the picture must have been taken during a renovation phase in recent years.

2 Likes

This was/is often the case. :slight_smile:

Is it still there in the sense that one could re-open it again? Does it had/have a stage?

I love those cinemas and theaters - and I prefer(ed) the balcony too. In my area there is only one cinema with a balcony left (AFAIK). Another cinema has a balcony but it is very small (and I mean very small :wink: ). In most cinemas here at my place they first converted the balcony into another small cinema. With this approach they tried to compete with the multiplex cinemas. Well, that didnā€™t work. Nowadays we have small shops in those cinemas. Itā€™s really sad.

Was it a dancing hall that was changed into a cinema or was it build as a cinema?

Wow! This looks really great! If I see these/such pictures I would like to instantly rent that cinema and reopen it ā€¦

1 Like

Yes everything still usable. Attempts were made to bring it back to the old movie theater function again in 2015 and failed. I know the person who would have rented it, and he is still very bitter about it (as well as thousands of cinema fans in town). It was complicated just google ā€œGloria Kino Regensburgā€ yourself and you will find lots of articles about it.

Please do! Buy it back from the mustard company who rents it as a photostudio to this smug celebrity photographer now and invest a lot of money in it. Maybe do a kickstarterā€¦

1 Like

Is this still the current state?

The same procedures as everywhere as it seems. The problem is that the owners of these theaters arenā€™t very interested in reopening a cinema and/or a theater, they would like to see money. And if you would like to reopen a cinema you need a good concept - especially if there is one of the big multiplex cinemas around.

It would be a full time job and I canā€™t do it alone. But if I could, I would do it. :slight_smile:

For me it doesnā€™t seem that they invested much money? The house behind the cinema is still empty?

Not a bad idea. :slight_smile: Do you think there are enough people in Regensburg who would support such a Kickstarter?

Well, we thought the idea of having something of midsize in between the multiplex and the shoebox sized arthouse movie theaters that feel more like private movie clubs would have been a good concept to begin with. Plus all the 50s nostalgia interior that was planned.

The problem was that there would have been some public funding involved that to the surprise of the people involved wasnĀ“t granted in the end. Probably because some doubts were raised, but the reasons for that are highly debatable. The money that wasnĀ“t invested but reserved was in the end invested in modernising (new seating, 3D screen, new sound technology) the would-be owners other theater. The only one he has left now, because he lost the one he got from his father to someone else (who conincidentally works close together with the guy who bought the Gloria only to resell it after 11 months, to me the whole thing stinks to this day).

Would that be enough? One cinema here tried such an approach - and it didnā€™t work. Especially the kids are preferring the multiplex cinemas. The cinema is now run as a hobby project (the owner invests each month some of his own money).

I meant the mustard company. :slight_smile: The last thing Iā€™ve read was that the cinema and the house is still owned by the mustard company. But they havenā€™t invested anything?

This is a concept that works here too. In my area several cinemas with a stage have a mixture of shows and movies.

The problem here in Germany is, that the film distributor gets (most of) the entrance fee. So the cinemas have to earn money with drinks, ice cream and popcorn while they have less visitors.

Another concept could be to let a club run the cinema. If this is done right, you can even get public grants.

1 Like

We have so many students who would love some mid priced offers with a little more atmosphere. They would have been enough to make this work, plus the older generation who still remembers the old style fondly. The kids arenĀ“t even the biggest economical factor here.

Oh yeah, I donĀ“t feel they have. The instantly bought it with out any plans at all. The owner probably rents it out to his friend for a special price. They bought it because they could. Not because the needed it or anything. But they certaintly didnĀ“t get into any debts buying it, so they probably save on renovation costs where they can.

1 Like

Is Regensburg a city with a lot of students (ā€œStudentenstadtā€)? That would indeed be an interesting group. I thought that the city has a lot of (foreign) tourists?

Thatā€™s ā€œinterestingā€: In most cases there is a reason for such a purchase - for example to prevent others from opening a cinema ā€¦ Do you know the price the mustard company payed (approximately)?

Both. And both have been growing in recent years. The tourists are a bit of a problem though, since most of them donĀ“t stay in the city but on cruise ships. And they stockpile on the danube. The ship companies pay good money for licensing to the city who happily accept the ever growing numbers. But the economy doesnĀ“t profit from them at all.

I neither remember a publicicly disclose number nor a word to mouth rumor like figure, sorry.

1 Like

IĀ“m sorry. At this point IĀ“m probably assuming that people kind of zone out when they see a longer sucession of @PiecesOfKateā€™s avatar and mine in a thread. :laughing:

1 Like

1 Like