The official Lord Of The Rings Thread

Let’s start a thread to discuss LOTR, Hobbits and anything Middle-Earth-ish
(sorry @PiecesOfKate)

This is just too good… (note all the little details - zoom in)

For those who are too lazy too look for the Easter Eggs, here is an incomplete list

5 Likes

Oh no! My butt still hurts from the lord of ring movies! (Our cinema hasn’t made a break!)

Tom Bombadil told the Hobbits all about the birds and the bees.

:eyes:

1 Like

Not a fan?

It’s well-crafted, but I’d prefer to see the reverse.

Maybe http://maperitive.net/ supports fantasy-style renderings. :smiley:

:zzz:

Aren´t you supposed to say something like:

“Eh, it´s alright. But I prefer [insert super obscure high fantasy epic here] ! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would be even better if they kept it in the style of the original map(s) – with the red and black ink – assuming that those aren’t just a German thing.

I came to fantasy through The Hobbit and LoTR, and it’s still my favourite genre to date. Currently reading The Fall of Gondolin, and have quite a bit shelf space dedicated to Tolkien.

I’m particular about what I like; aren’t you? :wink:

I prefer LotR over Wheel of Time. Lyonesse is of course better, but where would it be without OG LotR?

PS The Hobbit rocks.

I did prefer large swaths of The Silmarillion to the more boring parts of LotR. (Happy @milanfahrnholz :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: ^_^)

I´m always happy. :smirk:

I’ve never seen the map you’re talking about btw. They were just black in the copies I read back in the day.

Really? This one comes with most editions of the book.

http://www.theonering.com/galleries/maps-calendars-genealogies/maps-calendars-genealogies/map-of-middle-earth-j-r-r-tolkien

1 Like

I just read regular English paperbacks, probably printed in the '70s or '80s. I think it was during the Christmas of 2000 that I read the bulk of 'em. They came with that map or something much like it in B&W.

Also see http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=3&lat=-1345.52077&lon=1010&layers=BTTTTTTTT for what looks like the same map with slightly different black lettering. Presumably that’s the map that was in the copies I read.

Yeah that is the one that comes with pretty much every edition! I think Tolkien himself drew it.

"Eh, it’s alright. But I prefer The Hobbit ! The movies, that is ! :stuck_out_tongue: "
:wink:

That would kinda undo all the google map direction jokes…

Go Go Gadget Legolas Jumper!

The dragon’s view made me smile.

@PiecesOfKate: “Can´t I watch Brain Dead instead?”

Yes, yes you can! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right.

My initial thought was that somebody had used the Google maps API to create a fully interactive map of 3rd age Middle Earth. But it’s “just” a funny mockup. In which case, the chosen style brings the point across much better.

I did raise an eyebrow when I read that the director of Braindead (which I saw in '98 or '99) was making a movie out of the book I’d just read.

1 Like