The pronunciation thread

Some like their eyebrows to be in different shapes, according to what’s in fashion. I just get mine waxed occasionally to get rid of the random hairs that aren’t on the main line of my eyebrows. They’re not that noitceable, to be honest, so I don’t get round to having it done very often.

Some women even put on products to make their eyebrows different colours. The two ladies at that department store applied products without me asking, so I walked out at the end with very obviously brown eyebrows :joy:

Like this: “AAAAAaaaAAaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaa”
(the “a” as in “cat”, of course)

It’s not that painful, anyway :wink: It just stings a bit.

1 Like

Maybe we should create a new thread: “How to scream in different languages”. :wink:

3 Likes

:joy: (Sorry, I know that might be a language thing)

But to answer your question, I get mine done for the same reason as @tasse-tee. I also quite enjoy the pain :neutral_face:

3 Likes

I have the PERFECT video for this!

1 Like

Maybe women tear out their eyebrows in frustration? :angel:

2 Likes

My dictionary says that this is the correct term for pulling out (human) hairs. :slight_smile: Synonyms are: duck, shear and eradicate.

1 Like

Can’t tell if serious. :stuck_out_tongue: You pluck 'em.

2 Likes

Duck - ?
Shear - sheep
Eradicate - humanity :robot:

5 Likes

Ha! I knew it! Dicobot made my dictionary!

1 Like

Btw @Someone what’s German for plucking/tweezing/epilating eyebrows?

What dictionary are you using, out of interest?

Btw, etymologically speaking I just “sheared” myself. In Dutch to shave = scheren (“to shear”). Dutch schaven is something you only do to wood.

My guess: the German-English Sadomasochistic Torture Dictionary™ © 1825.

3 Likes

For a quick search dict.cc:

If I have more time I use a big Langenscheidt (yes, the “real” book :slight_smile: ) that says the same in this case (=“tear out”), btw:

The funny thing is: If I search the word “tear” (English → German) I get only the tear (the drop) as a result.

2 Likes

“Ausreißen” or “epilieren”. If you use a tweezer then you can say “(aus-)zupfen”.

I should write that. :wink:

That reminds me when I met him in Berlin. I’ve talked in public in english many times, but that time I was strangely freezedfrozen. In my former job I had to deal quite often with famous people, and it never tingled my emotions… But that time I was excited. Fun, like being child again.
He staring at me, me babbling nonsense. And probably the fact of being dressed as a rasta hot hair balloon* didn’t help.

*might not have happened

3 Likes

I think that in Dutch, like in English, haar uittrekken/tearing out hair (ausreißen) refers only to hair on your head, in a presumably unhealthy way.

Maybe Heinrich Heine already did. This topic reminded me of it:

tl;dr for English speakers: there’s a metaphor about an ape who sees a man shaving. He properly soaps his face and takes out the blade but accidentally cuts his own throat. In this metaphor Heine’s word is like the razor.

Frozen. :stuck_out_tongue:

The time I met Wil Wheaton the only thing I could think to say was something stupid like “when will you do another Radio Free Burrito?”

1 Like

we have a motto:
“Donna baffuta, sempre piaciuta!”
(moustached woman, always liked!)

So… it’s up to you! :smirk:

1 Like

Well, can you pull out (a) hair without being “unhealty”? :slight_smile: “Außreißen” in German implies that it hurts. I can’t think of a German word that describes pulling out a hair without hurting the person. :slight_smile:

You tear out pages from a book. You pull out hair from your body.

I’m pretty sure I could pull out most if not all of my eyebrow hairs without it hurting. It’s basically the same as those couple of weird, annoying, itchy ear hairs you might tweeze, not like head or beard hair.

Epileren/epilieren does sound rather… cold and creepy. Luckily natural is in vogue. :wink:

1 Like