The SCUMM BAR music theme isn't original!

Monkey Island 1.
SCUMM bar.
Every one knows that theme song.
Well… it’s taken 100% from a popular song.
Listen:

16 Likes

Sorprendente! :smiley:

I always appreciated it a lot!

Being an existing and historical tune totally makes sense since it’s the music played in the bar rather than just a “background” music.

3 Likes

In the “Spegni il computer e vai a dormire” group, someone did some research, and found that it’s a song of the 1800:

4 Likes

If I understand correctly, it is basically a declaration of love to ale beer :grin:

mi1_scumm

2 Likes

After some further and deeper research, I redact my last statements, it seems it may be true news, I have since found other sheet music for an alternative version of Oh Good Ale, and it seems that it is more similar to SCUMM BAR, when both sheet music is compared.

So the plot thickens, and it may be borrowed from a modal version of the tune.

You can listen to it here sung by British man Ernest Butcher on a 1916 vinyl

3 Likes

I have also contacted the fiddle player from “The Virginia Company” and he can confirm that the music was sourced from the original 18th century piece

6 Likes

SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND FINALLY UNCOVERED! MICHAEL LAND SUED, TRIALED AND KEELHAULED BY 19th CENTURY BUCKANEERS!

5 Likes

No mistery then. Aaaw. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m so relieved my aural skills didn’t fail in the end :yum:. And with the latest statement, we could be facing even a music from the real golden age of piracy (maybe).

3 Likes

“Would I be correct in saying that you guys borrowed the music from the game?”

lol super cheeky

1 Like

“ it was sung by the clown, Joseph Grimaldi, about the end of the 19th century.”

:ransome: or the grand-grand-son of one of these jokers?

Source

4 Likes

That’s interesting! Though the song is from the right era, so it makes sense to play it in the Scumm Bar.
As we know, it’s not the only song that Land borrowed, seeing the bones song in MI 2 (apparently inspired by Dry Bones by the Delta Rhythm Boys).

1 Like

The Amiga version that is. The PC version added those few extra notes at the end.

1 Like

A little, but he had to be put in his place if he was the stealer. =)

Ron Gilbert realising the song he wants to use for the SCUMM Bar is pre-copyright:
download__1_

2 Likes

shucks this is really cool.

I also like the fact that this music has a much longer history. It lends a certain authenticity to the game that we might have all picked up on subconsciously.

5 Likes

And why not? :wink: For example The Dig is using some classical music …

1 Like

I’m selling these fine sheet music sheets…

1 Like

Michael Land is credited for “original music” as far as I remember, so I think this acknowledges that there’s some “borrowed” (not written for the game) music as well.

Some of the themes might be “borrowed” but it may or may not have been intentional. There’s so much music floating around in a composer’s subconscious that a melody or two can seep in without realizing it’s from something else.

It’s hard to write something that is 100% original.
I guess the secret is to write music that can be reminiscent of other songs, but not a direct rip off.

2 Likes