The time has come

Maybe if Knopfler had sung it…

Yes it´s funny since the singing isn´t that far from his own style. But his acoustic guitar is half of what´s makes this film beautiful. The other half being Robin Wright.

But the song is not Mark’s, that could explain it.

BTW, I’ve been frustrated by not finding any artist or Band remotely similar to Mark or Dire Straits.

Maybe Snowy White?

1 Like

I was about to say it’s a ripoff of Brothers in Arms but it seems it came first… wow

1 Like

I watched Snowy White live during Roger Waters’ The Wall tour a few years ago. Though they just copied the one and only David Gilmour there and didn’t even try to include own ideas. Maybe it was the wisest decision they could have made there.

To be fair Snowy White has been with the Band since 1977 (no idea why you need yet another guitarist when you have Gilmour).

He´s really good but will probably always stand in Gilmour´s shadow.

He is a really good guitarist indeed.
Thank you for the link! I had not known that solo. Though it seems to be his only studio performance for Pink Floyd. And it wasn’t even on the regular release of that album. According to Wikipedia, it was contained on an “8-track cartridge”. Actually, Snowy White only served as a second guitarist during the tours, because most of the songs need a rhythm guitar and a lead guitar, while Gilmour was the only guitarist in the band - except for a couple of songs such as Pigs on the Wing, in which bassist Roger Waters played the acoustic guitar.

Yeah obviously the link isn´t there on the album version because the two parts bookend the other three songs. But I think that´s also the way they performed it in concert. But he´s been with the band on tour as rythm guitarist most of the time (except for that solo) up until 1994 I think (I don´t think he was at the Wall 1990 concert). I´m sure there was someone else on Gilmour´s solo tour in 2006 when I saw him, but I can´t remember who that was. I only remember Rick Wrigth´s voice sounding so radically different (during his part in Time), he must have been sick already as he died only 2 years later.

I felt it while playing, that whole sense of excitement, really looking forward to the puzzles and the humor. I felt like when I was playing Monkey Island.

2 Likes

I guess that I know what you mean. I have Live in Gdansk and I had the same feeling about this when I listened to it.

I´ve just checked it and yes I see it there as well but I think it was even worse in Munich (not very good quality, but like I remember it).

It’s difficult for me to judge it, seeing the bad quality. Though, live tours are always stressful for the voice. Gilmour always sounds as if he had a frog in the throat. Time is a very good example for this as well. Therefore, such strangely-sounding voices don’t necessarily mean something serious.
Honestly I hate people recording private videos at such events, because they impair your view if you sit behind them. That said, I filmed the Comfortably Numb solo, too, but I did this only because so many people in front of me had already been filming it, so that I couldn’t see anything anyway. :angry:

That´s true and I wouldn´t have said that without the benefit of hindsight(and certainly didn´t think that at the time). It´s still possible that was completly unrelated.

The amazing thing about this video (which btw I only just now looked up, I almost never look up video of concerts I went to, usually only audio) is that it looks almost like a super 8, I have no idea what equipment this was filmed on, obviously it was before HD cellphone cameras, that really went out of hand at concerts in the past decade.

But hey, in the 70s it would have been firecrackers(even indoors!) or police who get to close to the stage. So at least all that doesn´t happen today.

Yes, it’s probably not worth my rage, seeing what happened on other concerts - not only back in the 70s but also recently at the Ariana Grande concert.

Yeah, that and Paris. Too many things have happened recently at concerts to which even GG Allin would have said “I´m having none of this!”

Still overall, the whole cellphone thing has become really annyoing, I´m still hoping for a backlash one of these days, though I´m not holding my breath.

When MI series came I was a teenager and I formed a very strong bond with them. Everything about them were magical. From the music to every single dialogue line the series became part of my life.

Surprisingly now 25+ years later I feel immersed in TWP like I did not feel for a long time. It’s mainly due to Ron’s involvement but also it has some qualities that are hard to find in regular games. It does not have the same sentimental bound as MIs (none can match them I believe since I’m a different person now) but I feel so happy to feel connected to a game again.

i thought of this little ditty from the folks who own Monkey Island https://youtu.be/QE9NuChAYFI

1 Like

The time has come.

This forum is now my browser’s first choice when I type “F” on the bar. It overtook facebook.

4 Likes

Fimbleweed Park Forums?