The X-Files 2018

But you know that the origins of the ß was the “sz” (yes, we wrote “Strasze”)? :slight_smile: It was a “ligature”:

Similar origins had the umlauts ä, ü and ö: First there was “ae”, then the e was written above the “a” to mark the character to be pronounced as “ä”. Then the “e” was replaced by the two ticks.

1 Like

New favourite phrase.

2 Likes

Well, the name of the character itself is “Eszett”, so it kinda gives it away :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wasn´t being serious. The use of the ß has been greatly reduced since the last spelling reform 20 years ago(ss is used more frequently now). And it´s sole use is for writing in all caps.

I just had an idea for a new word.

testickling

I don´t think I need to explain…

4 Likes
2 Likes

ooOOooh! Thanks for that!

I see they’re still using that shot of Mulder sitting nonchalantly in a chair, passing wind. ‘There’s a national pandemic but I’m not ready to get up yet.’ :laughing:

Drama +1
Aliens +1
Conspiracy +1
Semi-raunchy shot of them in bed +1

1 Like

“I wish Scully were here right now to see you, you look like a monster!” is probably my favourite Mulder line of season 10.

Great to know this was new to you, I was almost certain you´d already seen it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only two more weeks and as of now it still seems like the only person who would be able to tell when it starts in germany is Clyde Bruckman and he´s dead!

:laughing:

Tell me 'bout it. The Smoking Man would know, but you’d have to sleep with him or kill Mulder to find out, and that would mess up the schedule.

1 Like

So today the first episode will air on Fox. Not so lucky like two years ago where it was aired only one week later in germany, we haven´t even gotten an announcement for a date so far. I can only look three weeks ahead in my listings schedule but those three weeks are definitly devoid of any Mulder & Scully related mystery solvings for 2018. :frowning:

Boooo :frowning: We’ve yet to get an announcement, too. It hadn’t occurred to me to look at the upcoming listings, but I’m guessing if they haven’t announced it, it won’t be for a while.

Sigh, I’m going to have to squint-read Twitter to avoid spoilers.

I would silence some of the dangerous accounts for a while. I did that with TwP in the release week, too.

I guess I should. Damn you Channel 5! Apparently The X-Files is the highest rated drama ever on their channel – you’d think they’d treat it with more respect, hurrumph.

Silmilar case here. In the mid 90s Pro 7 was relatively new in germany and X Files along with The Simpsons probably made them what they are today. I think they recognized that with immediatly ordering from Fox two years ago. They have of course confirmed that they will show season 11 but is gone awfully quiet in the last few months and unfortunatly still is.

Their loss, doing something like that in times of internet and instant access to illegitimate sources will make them lose viewers, that´s pretty much a certain.

Not saying that I will be doing that, mind you. But the temptation is always there like a certain immortal cigarette smoking man.

Edit:

Typos that make you sound like Tommy Wiseau…

1 Like

Indeed. The irony is when online subscription services came about I didn’t like that I had to avoid spoilers from people who binge watched faster than me. Now I’m facing the same problem with old fashioned TV networks!

The problem is in germany you have to pay a regular monthly fee for TV in general anway. There is no way around that. When you add on top of that the subscriptions for amazon prime and netflix it´s getting really costly. Most people however prefer those over the classic TV (because of the higher quality of their programmes) and would rather cancel the regular TV fee if it were in anyway possible (which it isn´t).

At least TWP was released worldwide on its release day.

1 Like

That’s annoying. UK has to pay a licence fee but that’s only if someone owns and uses a TV, and also if they use iplayer now I believe.

I’ve muted the main X-Files account. If Dave and Gill start tweeting stuff they’ll have to be muted too :cry:

We had the same system in Germany. After a change a few years ago, now each household has to pay a fee (because everyone is able to receive the programs).

But our TV “landscape”/system is similar to the one in the UK with the BBC, Sky and so on…

It was probably similar in Germany but then Internet streaming became popular and it wasn’t clear for everyone if this counts too so lo and behold: They have simplified everything!
If you are 18 or older you pay per residence. EOD.