The X-Files 2018

Yes and no: A family for example has only to pay once.

If s(S?)omeone owns two houses Iā€™m pretty sure he has to pay twice the errā€¦ ā€œfineā€.

Yes, thatā€™s right. But if Iā€™m 18 (or older) an live together in the house of someone else, I donā€™t have to pay the fee. So not everyone over 18 has to pay the fee. :slight_smile:

Yes, you pay per residence you live in and either own or pay rent for it (main renter).

So it looks like IĀ“ve got 3 options now:

1. Wait until spring until itĀ“s on regular TV.

2. Go to amazon now to watch each episode as it comes out and buy the season pass for 25 bucks.

3. Wait to see whatever @PiecesOfKate does to synch my watching of season 11 with hers so we can recap each episode (prefered option).

Hm, thatā€™s annoying for you.

If I had that Amazon option (which I donā€™t believe we do) Iā€™d be tempted. Iā€™ve just had a look and still no UK air date - might end up being Spring for us too. Problem with that is avoiding spoilers.

I didnā€™t know ā€˜X Filesā€™ was translated in German - I like ā€˜ActeXā€™ :smile:

I just checked. ItĀ“s on the german amazon and on amazon.com but not on amazon.co.uk.
However I believe you can log on to every other countries amazon with your account and watch it there.

ā€œAkteā€ is singular for ā€œfileā€. So it literally is ā€œFile Xā€. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s interesting that they used the singular (ā€œAkte Xā€ = one file with the name ā€œXā€) and not the plural and thus the correct translation ā€œDie X-Aktenā€.

Which it was refered to during the entire run of the show.

ItĀ“s a bit like ā€œStar Warsā€ which would translate to ā€œSternenkriegeā€ but was instead translated to ā€œKrieg der Sterneā€ which means ā€œWar of the Starsā€.

These people (or was it the same person?) who localized those two must have had a strong dislike for the plural formā€¦

And I forgot to mention: The german version of the X Files also had a subtitle: Die Unheimlichen FƤlle des FBI.

So in germany it was ā€œFile X: The eerie cases of the FBIā€.:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I think itā€™s the sound: ā€œAkte Xā€ sounds more mysterious as ā€œDie X-Aktenā€.

Same with Star Wars: ā€œKrieg der Sterneā€ sounds more like a action filled war as the funny little ā€œSternenkriegeā€. :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t know that was possible/legal without some fiddly VPN routing or something. But it does look like I can get it on e.g. the German site.

Yes, I tried it once because I meant to order from the UK amazon once (in the end I didnĀ“t because IĀ“d have to change my payment method). But it seems youĀ“re logged in and you can also buy stuff. You have to make your own watchlist on each countries division but it seems to be possible. Though IĀ“m not sure if it can recognize for instance that youĀ“re a prime customer in another countries store. However it doesnĀ“t matter in this case as youĀ“d have to pay a seasons pass (if you want to save 5 bucks), but I think itĀ“s possible to just log into the .de or .com store to buy the episodes.

Yes possible. I think we have to thank the late Arne Elsholtz to thank for that, because he did the translation (though it might have been the distributor who came up with the title) it was his decision to translate for instance ā€œThe Forceā€ to ā€œDie Machtā€ instead of ā€œDie Kraftā€.

It sounds much more enormous if you imagine stars fighting each others!
But I think they have now given up on translating ā€˜Star Warsā€™ itself.

I recently ordered from amazon.IT because I needed clown accessoriesā€¦ just kidding, I ordered The Wardrobe and it was only available there.

I canĀ“t remember off the top of my head. Have they done that now for TFA or was that already for Phantom Menace in 1999?

My theory is that the many Star Wars video games (which were almost never translated) helped popularise the name ā€œStar Warsā€ in germany.

They probably just couldnā€™t be bothered anymore with changing all those logos etc.

e.g.

I actually find it interesting to look at when the english language slowly crept into movie and TV show titles. One of the earliest examples I can think of is Easy Rider which was never translated into german. Nowadays almost no movie titles are translated anymore. But IĀ“m not sure when it started to become common. Must have been sometime between the 70s and 90s.

ā€œlockerer Motorradfahrerā€ for example? :slight_smile:

Maybe the translators just werenā€™t sure what this move is aboutā€¦ easy rider

I love the fact that they discuss in that thread if it has to do with prostitution or not. ItĀ“s not like the movie has an extended scene taking place in a brothel or anythingā€¦

Havenā€™t they translated only the title from the first movie (episode IV)ā€¦ ? :thinking: