Thimbleweed Park coming to PS4 on August 22, 2017

Excellent. Been waiting for this to hit PS4. Anyone know if it is going to be just digital download or will there be a physical copy??

Most likely just digital.

Was a price mentioned anywhere?

No, the developers have not announced a price yet. David Fox has said that they’ll announce it as soon as they will know.

Source

This art is good but also hilarious. Can you imagine the guy who buys TWP after seeing that pic, and then installs the game and sees THIS:

(I know it can never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.)

to be honest it’d be a bit misleading but the PS4 blog does not have this cover so it’s all good.

Every adventure game I’ve ever purchased has had that sort of art discrepancy. Sam & Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle are the only two I ever bought where the box art was even remotely representative of the in-game art.

I don’t see any big difference. Maybe the second one is slightly more realistic.

1 Like

Really? You do not see the discrepancies in style and what they represent? The first one is a bit serious, suggesting a somber and dark mood. The second one seems cartoony, which suggests a more lighthearted touch.

They are worlds apart.

There may be a slight resemblance around their eyes.

well, the first style suggests “drama” to me, while the second style is clearly “comedy”. In fact, the dumb look of the characters is a big part of the reason why TWP works. I don’t think it could even have worked if done with the first style. (And yet, something tells me it would have sold 5 times as much…)

It’s not a matter of representing the in-game art, but of representing the style, mood, and atmosphere of the game.

As much as some may try to spin Thimbleweed Park as some mysterious and dark drama, it’s really more like a wacky screw-ball comedy or a spoof of a horror or mystery drama.

It doesn’t even try to deliver its humor in a dark and straight manner; it’s right on the nose and relishes it’s wackiness with tongue deeply planted in cheek.

Oh, and none of that is intended to sound as a negative criticism. It’s what makes Thimbleweed Park such a lovable and enjoyable experience. :slight_smile:

dZ.

This is the only game in the story that is represented exactly the same as the cover art.

1 Like

Two identical drops of water…

1 Like

There is actually a whole book about how in the 70s and 80s the box art of games was so much more sophisticated than the game art as if to compensate for it

I think the idea might even going back to the colorful movie posters of the 30s, 40s and 50s for films that were actually in black and white. People knew that was not what they were getting, but they accepted it anyway.

The only box art for games that really showed the pixel graphics of the games therin were possibly the so called Nintendo Black Box series of games:

The same is true for Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Monkey Island etc. but those still hit the whacky tone just right and that´s what it is about tone and not accurate art representation.

5 Likes

I think the problem with this thread is that when people say “the art doesn’t match the game” others reduce that to “cover is not pixel drawing,” or “artwork is not a game screenshot.” This is a straw-man argument, a fallacy, and steers the discussion in the wrong direction.

Those of use that have pointed out the discrepancy between the artwork and the game are, like you suggest, referring to its tone and atmosphere.

I don’t think anybody expects the cover art to be a screenshot of the game since, as others have said, that is seldom done and unconventional.

What is expected is for the artwork to set the tone and mood for what’s to come, and to give the player or potential buyer an idea of what sort of game to expect.

dZ.

1 Like

Both drawings are blueish, though.

1 Like

You´re right and they´re both pictures, too! Just like the Guernica and a Panel of Hagar The Horrible are also both pictures!

come to think of it, some characters in TWP are a bit too clever to be represented in the Zak and Maniac Mansion style (deformed and with big heads). Maybe Ray should have been dumber? (Or maybe Ray should have been drawn in the other style? :smile: )

Oh come on, Annie doesn´t look dumb now does she? I think if Agent Ray´s face looks anything like Razor´s I´m fine with it.