Thimbleweed Park theories

That’s very interesting!

Also one thing to note is that this tube is of type UA-31690111-5 :wink:

Or maybe, they will stay and the rest of the universe will disappear?

I’ve thought about the “rebooting” process and at the beginning I wasn’t sure whether it was intended to describe only what the developers do to Thimbleweed Park or also what us, the players, do.

But after watching again the last section of the game, when Chuck reveals to Delores that TWP is just a computer simulation, I’m pretty sure that these reboots refer just to the ones that the developers do in order to prevent Chuck from destroying the game.

Chuck is actually quite clear about that:

“The developers keep rebooting us back into the same story, over and over. They will do anything to keep us from deleting the game.”

The more I replay the game, the simpler its meaning gets.

1 Like

What about crashing the text adventure? What did it accomplish? They are lost forever there now?

Actually the text adventure crashes the computer which will then be rebooted. After passing the robot hall the game will be deleted!
Later the computer won’t work anymore.

Hm.

Mmmm… in my play through, it was Ray who was abducted and lying on the coroner’s table…

1 Like

I read somewhere that Ron Gilbert loved Stanley’s Parable.
Thimbleweed Park certainly have a lot of the Stanley’s Parable feel. Free will, breaking the fourth wall, comments about game tropes, been aware that you are in a game, etc.

3 Likes

This is a game, a great story that make people talk and debate, unsolved misteries, different ideas, cool characters and places. These are the games you will remember for many many years, like almost all the Lucasarts titles. I think the power of this story (maybe thanks also to the complexity of the relations between player, devs, fictional world and reality) is a big step forward for the genre. I mean Zak, Indy, Monkey Island, those were great stories too, also funny, but Thimbleweed Park seems to have even something more to tell and that’s a great result achieved for Ron and team I think.

4 Likes

UA-31690111-X is the Google Analytics ID/Tracking Code for terribletoybox.com, thimbleweedpark.com and grumpygamer.com.

4 Likes

…and …

About the abduction:

I think the Chuck/AI is testing if his world is indeed a video game.
So he orders the Agent-a-rinos to be disposed of “permanently and violently”.

But in contrast to Boris which effectively was an NPC the Agents are player characters which cannot be killed – thus confirming Chuck’s theory.

This is also why it doesn’t matter which agent is abducted.

2 Likes

I like your theory, but technically Boris was a playable character too :stuck_out_tongue: in fact, he dies BECAUSE we bring him to his death.

That’s a nice and original interpretation of what’s happening, I like it. :slight_smile:

The plot required Boris to die, so it wouldn’t have been possible for Chuck to test his theory on this playable character. But Ray and Reyes are not supposed to die, so testing their death would have been a logical thing to try.

(Sorry for reviving an old thread… but this one fits perfectly)

For those who have completed Delores : what about that last photo assignment, huh?

Coincidentally, this recent post on Grumpy Gamer :

I love programming in Python, but holy crap-a-reno is dealing with all the modules a pain-in-the-ass-a-who.

clearly proves that not only Sheriff and coroner are the one and the same person… but even Ransome and Delores are! And they all live inside Ron’s mind.

3 Likes