TWP cockney fan dub

A lot of native cockney speakers are missing out on the wonders of Thimbleweed Park because the standard English used is too difficult for them to understand. The dialect is simply too conservative and this is putting off a lot of would-be players.

“Them puzzles are ‘ard, guv. Even callin’ the hint wotsit on the dog n bone ain’t helped.”
- a cockney friend

So I’d like to call on the forum for help translating and recording a fan dub. @tasse-tee would be a natural volunteer if she can dull down the Northern accent. As would @milanfahrnholz since he’s already demonstrated an accent within an accent.

I’ve translated a few sample lines:

‘I could really go for a Ruby Murray after the long walk out here.’
‘The ole signals are ping pong tonight.’
‘These are the latest in lemon lime fighting computers.’

What do you think? Drop me a PM if you can help. I think this could be a really worthwhile project.

APRIL FOOLS! :ransome:

5 Likes

I can sound like a Scottish women on the telephone - maybe that helps? And you should ask Lirpa Ekoj. This Finnish actor is really great in imitating different slangs!

2 Likes

I completely agree! Not only will it give the Cockney speakers a full appreciation of the game, it will enable non-speakers to learn the dialect.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that. Everybody benefits!

3 Likes

At first I read fan club and went “I´m in!” :+1:

But what the game really needs is a russian dub true to russian dubs of movies. With a single person talking over all of the dialogue traslating it into russian while you still can hear the original dialogue a little bit quieter. That´s so not irritating at all!

5 Likes

Well, by now we know she has no Northern accent at ol !

3 Likes

I’ve always lived up north, but my mum’s a Southerner. Still, I pronounce words like “bath” and “laugh” in a Northern way - using the “a” as in “cat”. In the South, they tend to pronounce it like this.

1 Like

Yeah. No. I have absolutely no idea what finesses you’re talking about (to a foreign ear). I’ll need you to record some more of those North/South things in your voice and post them back here or in the official pronunciation topic.
:angel:

The only other Newcastleian (is that even a word?) I know is AC/DC’s Brian Johnson, and he’s just fookin’ unintelligible, ya knoo who Ay meen?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYMrbCPN6w at 2:00

3 Likes

I’m no good at accents. But if me and @PiecesOfKate read the same sentence, you might be able to hear some differences :stuck_out_tongue:

Geordie! :smile:
Here’s something you might like: a Geordie version of Call Me Maybe.

1 Like

And you don´t even say 'pnorth.

starts cheering probably to no avail

1 Like

Ooh I know that word, but only as the former group of Brian before joining AC/DC
:metal::nerd_face:

2 Likes

That would actually be quite interesting! :smile:

3 Likes

starts cheering again this time more hopefully

3 Likes

I’ve always liked the idea of making one. It’s more the time factor than anything else.

1 Like

I know. There is a bit of work involved. But after I did a few recordings I slowly managed to go through the whole process faster. Some of my latest ones were almost rushed and I hope no one can hear that.

I didn’t notice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good! :slight_smile:

As long as my “fans” like it, I´m satisfied. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m thinking tomorrow might be a good day to attempt this. What phrase(s) should @tasse-tee and I record? Maybe some from TWP? Though we might accidentally mimic the character accents DIGGIN’!

2 Likes

Yes, please! :slight_smile:

1 Like